Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I also have a non-Google email that I need to access. But my Android mail program I love isn't in the app store and I'm not quite sure what to use for that yet.
Does the built-in mail client not work well enough for you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #32
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
@graycyn, google has a ton of apps in the app store, all free. Just do a search inside the store on google and they will turn up. Use the built in mail client for your non-google mail. I actually use that for all my mail including gmail.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #33
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
My iPad Pro 10.5 has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does the built-in mail client not work well enough for you?

It will work with non-apple accounts? I didn't know that, I guess I can try it out. I thought it was just for Apple emails. I need for it to be able to delete mails from my server when I delete them in the app, if it can do that, maybe it can work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #34
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
@graycyn, google has a ton of apps in the app store, all free. Just do a search inside the store on google and they will turn up. Use the built in mail client for your non-google mail. I actually use that for all my mail including gmail.

I could not find the Google Contacts app. All my other Google apps I have installed.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
It will work with non-apple accounts? I didn't know that, I guess I can try it out. I thought it was just for Apple emails. I need for it to be able to delete mails from my server when I delete them in the app, if it can do that, maybe it can work!
Do Apple even have a mail service?

It'll work with any POP3 or IMAP mail server, and will handle multiple email accounts. It works well.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #36
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

It'll work with any POP3 or IMAP mail server, and will handle multiple email accounts. It works well.
Yes, the icloud mail accounts.

I have accounts with gmail, icloud, two different domain providers and my cable company. Apple mail handles all of them with no problems.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #37
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:

I'm going to set it up then!

Just finished got Libby signed into this morning. And my other cloud accounts that have more storage than Dropbox. I may need them when I start putting more image projects on the tablet!

I'm getting used to the gestures to pull up my control center, so things are going smoother. I may need a different keyboard, Gboard doesn't seem nearly as good at predictions on iPad as it does on my Android devices. May try Swiftkey.

No image editing happening today, I finished cleaning up 19 photos and I'm putting them in the ebook I'm making. Once I've backed them up, I'll take them out of iCloud to make room for the next project.

Does anyone know how to make the Files app show file extensions? I'm really frustrated with it, because I can't see whether an image file is an Affinity file (.afphoto) or a .tif file I've exported to go into Photoshop for a final look-see on my big monitor.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #38
udok75
udok75 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello graycyn,
I'm also considering buying an Ipad Pro 10.5. How do you like it so far? Can you recommend it? I've just found it at https://www.otto.nl/elektronica/ and it's not as expensive as initially thought.
udok75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #39
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by udok75 View Post
Hello graycyn,
I'm also considering buying an Ipad Pro 10.5. How do you like it so far? Can you recommend it? I've just found it at https://www.otto.nl/elektronica/ and it's not as expensive as initially thought.

I think the tablet is very nice, the operating system perhaps a bit less so. For image editing, with the Pencil and Affinity Photo it is totally the bomb!

I do find that some things, like the auto-rotation aren't smooth, but it's nothing I can't live with. Perhaps an update will improve it. Otherwise, within the annoying limitations of iOS in terms of file handling, a FINE device. And it seems Apple is still working on iOS 11, so things may yet smooth out.

I'd prefer a 300dpi screen, like my Pixel C, but this screen is certainly very good and the True Tone feature is great! Very nice for when I need to read. It is, however, a total fingerprint magnet!

Battery life is very good.

Games play smoothly. One game occasionally hitches, but it also occasionally does that on the Pixel C, so I assume the game or game servers are at fault there, NOT the iPad.

I'm still kind of slowly setting the device up, and I don't do a lot of social media stuff or watching movies or stashing music or TV or anything like that, so I can't tell you how well that kind of thing works. YouTube is fine, tho.

If I had it to buy over again, I might consider the 64GB version. I think I could have gotten away with that and iCloud storage. However, having more space means I can keep more image projects loaded up. I went with 256GB because I wasn't sure what I'd need and better to be safe since I hope to use the device several years.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #40
ReaderUser
ReaderUser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (Graphite), Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
I really would recommend installing iTunes; it's an extremely useful program. The ability to copy files directly to and from the iPad is particularly useful.
Is this even true now, though? It's my understanding that Apple has mostly removed the "Apps" section of iTunes in the latest update.

I used to be able to load files into iPad reader programs from iTunes a few versions ago, but do you have that kind of control over apps in iTunes now?
ReaderUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:47 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderUser View Post
Is this even true now, though? It's my understanding that Apple has mostly removed the "Apps" section of iTunes in the latest update.

I used to be able to load files into iPad reader programs from iTunes a few versions ago, but do you have that kind of control over apps in iTunes now?
Yes, you do. The only change is that apps that you can copy files to and from are now listed under a tab called "File Sharing".
Old 02-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #42
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Tips:
-
- 3D Touch - press firmly (it's force sensitive) on any icon to see a list of shortcuts. I find the bluetooth choice on the settings app useful, as well as the count down timer on the clock app (when I go to sleep at night it's the last thing I do so that music turns off after 45min)

Lee
What am I missing? If I press on an icon, it just give me the wiggle delete option.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #43
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those of you that have the keyboard for the Pro, do you have anything on the back? The Apple keyboard leaves the back open.

Also, have any of you used a screen protector with it. I have not purchased one.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #44
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
For those of you that have the keyboard for the Pro, do you have anything on the back? The Apple keyboard leaves the back open.

Also, have any of you used a screen protector with it. I have not purchased one.
My keyboard is part of a case, so it has a back.

Not I don't have a screen protector. I've never really found a need for a screen protector.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #45
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
My keyboard is part of a case, so it has a back.
I have the Apple one. It doesn’t have a back. Which one do you have?

Quote:
Not I don't have a screen protector. I've never really found a need for a screen protector.
I have never used one on my tablets either, but was wondering if the ‘pencil’ would make a difference.

Thanks