Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Changes to PubIt aka NookPress?

What do you think of the new PubIt aka NookPress? The one thing that has me not happy is you can no longer update an EPub once it is for sale.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Last I looked it was for American bank account holders only, so I didn't read any further. And not change an epub? What a strange thought. I can understand taking various steps to discourage updates - maybe require a fee or something - but to prevent changes at all seems very odd.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
but to prevent changes at all seems very odd.
Maybe they don't want the author to redo all the substitutions of "nook" for "kindle." Although I must say, "the flames of wrath were nookd" still doesn't sound right.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some are taking a much hardline against the terms.

http://hollylisle.com/writers-barnes...-insanely-bad/

And there is this clause that has some up in arms...

"You hereby grant to Barnes & Noble... irrevocable right and license to make your eBooks available for sale...."

But I have not read the TOS myself yet. I think I will pull a wait and see how this turns out, might got back to using Smashwords to push to B&N and let their lawyers deal with it.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
And there is this clause that has some up in arms...

"You hereby grant to Barnes & Noble... irrevocable right and license to make your eBooks available for sale...."

But I have not read the TOS myself yet. I think I will pull a wait and see how this turns out, might got back to using Smashwords to push to B&N and let their lawyers deal with it.
If I'm going through Smashwords and letting them act for me with B&N, do I have to worry about the TOS? I never used PubIt (horrible sounding name! ) in the first place because they wanted a credit card and they kind of freaked me out with some of the stuff they were asking for. I've been letting Smashwords handle things for me, but I'd like to know if I might want to pull my books off distribution to B&N.

Giving them an irrevocable right to sell my ebook makes me kind of leery as I've already switched one self-pubbed book to a small press. I had to take H&V off the shelves everywhere; so to have B&N tell me "Too bad" and keep selling my ebook... The idea of that seems not cool at all. It would be a reason not to list future books with them.

Though the very idea of their TOS being that screwed up seems as though they're pushing for their business to tank. Just doesn't seem like a smart practice to me.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard

Your agreement with Smashwords is governed by the terms that you and Smashwords agreed to. So it is up to Smashwords' lawyers to figure out what to do with the new TOS, but my guess is that their agreement will B&N will not change. It has always been a little different then what you could get through PubIt.

I may pull the two books I put in B&N directly and put them back through Smash if things turn out to be as bad as they sound right now. Keep in mind this is all in the first days of terror, and once the dust settles might not be so bad. I am pulling a wait and see.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because I'm CDN I hadn't really followed the uproar, but I'm not so sure about B&N accepting different terms from Smashwords. My guess is they will ensure that all Smashwords publishers have the same terms. For all we know, we agreed to it already when we agreed to the Smashwords terms. There is quite possibly a clause which states that we accept all changes to the channel's requirements.

Not good. And as for not allowing updates, that's ridiculous. It's one of the many benefits of ebooks that an author can update to eliminate typos and such.
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think what B&N i trying to prevent is people publishing via B&N and then pulling to go exclusive with Amazon. This happens too much of the time and B&N are trying to stop that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFStewart View Post
Because I'm CDN I hadn't really followed the uproar, but I'm not so sure about B&N accepting different terms from Smashwords. My guess is they will ensure that all Smashwords publishers have the same terms. For all we know, we agreed to it already when we agreed to the Smashwords terms. There is quite possibly a clause which states that we accept all changes to the channel's requirements.

Not good. And as for not allowing updates, that's ridiculous. It's one of the many benefits of ebooks that an author can update to eliminate typos and such.
The Smashwords terms are already different from B&N so there is no reason to assume they have to be the same. For example we can post free books through Smash, but not directly. Remember Smashwords has a vast volume of books they can bring to bear, and actual lawyers to fight with. I would be surprised if they agreed to these terms.

Time will tell, but my guess is that these terms will not stand long. I do not have to opt in yet, so going to play a wait and see.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Remember Smashwords has a vast volume of books they can bring to bear, and actual lawyers to fight with. I would be surprised if they agreed to these terms.

Time will tell, but my guess is that these terms will not stand long. I do not have to opt in yet, so going to play a wait and see.
Let's hope so! It's not really typical to have terms for one group than another, and I suspect it's something they'd want to change. As you say, however, once they have the power to change it.
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote