Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
tstorey
Not a Junior...
tstorey began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, PC, MacBook Pro
Just bought a Nook to use in Canada...Help

I thought I had done all my homework and that getting a Nook was the hard part, setting up a B&N account to get ebooks was the easy part, Not So. I followed all the instructions and set up an account with my Canadian credit card, but can't download the book I want. Is it all books that are restricted or just the last one of the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series that I want. If I can't get books from B&B, where can I get new released in Canada. I think I'm going to love my new nook, if I can just figure out how to get books into it.lol.
Thanks in advance for all Posts.
tstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstorey View Post
I thought I had done all my homework and that getting a Nook was the hard part, setting up a B&N account to get ebooks was the easy part, Not So. I followed all the instructions and set up an account with my Canadian credit card, but can't download the book I want. Is it all books that are restricted or just the last one of the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series that I want. If I can't get books from B&B, where can I get new released in Canada. I think I'm going to love my new nook, if I can just figure out how to get books into it.lol.
Thanks in advance for all Posts.
Welcome!

B&N sells books in the US only, officially anyway. There are some threads around about circumventing this, IIRC it involves using a proxy like Hide My Ass, but I'm sure someone will elaborate. The nook can read books from anywhere that sells books with Adobe Adept DRM (besides B&N of course) so Kobo, Books on Board, Sony (books are loaded through Adobe Digital Editions)... For best results you'll want ePub not PDF. It can also read library books if your local library is set up through Overdrive. You can also get books from Webscription.net and Smashwords (as well as many small pubs like BeWrite Books) and not have to hassle with DRM restrictions.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 03:11 AM   #3
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Supposedly, the way around the restrictions is to use a VPN (HotSpot Shield, AlwaysVPN, etc.) to hide your actual IP and give you a virtual one that is located in US. Thus, B&N will think you are located in US. You can then, apparently, use your standard credit card to download ebooks.

For me, I got some mixed results. I haven't actually bought a book from B&N, but I did get several from their freebies collection. Most of them worked, but for some reason, there are still one or two that won't download. The 'purchase' goes without a hitch, and the books are available to download in my library, but when I try to download, it claims my credit card is invalid/expired. Don't know how to get around this.

But as AnemicOak said, there are plenty of other sites you can get ebooks from. In addition to the ones he listed, you can also go to ebooks.com, and the new Borders ebook site seems decent, too. You can also frequently get them from WHSmith's ebook store, but since the prices are in Pound Sterling, they might be a bit steep for some books.

Happily, though, I can confirm that Larsson's books are quite fairly priced. They (along with several more) are currently available for a discounted price (35% off). I bought The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo a couple of days ago, and it's GBP5.19 (about US$7.9).
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
B&N say that most (not all) of their books are available to people in Canada..

I purchase all of my books via B&N using hotspot shield and have not had a problem yet. You can use any Credit Card I use an Australian one but you must have a US address entered into your billing account before you buy any books.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
B&N say that most (not all) of their books are available to people in Canada..

I purchase all of my books via B&N using hotspot shield and have not had a problem yet. You can use any Credit Card I use an Australian one but you must have a US address entered into your billing account before you buy any books.
I have not had to use any proxy from Canada, I simply set a real US address with my Canadian credit card and have had no issues purchasing books that originally were not available to me.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Beta_Vidoh
Beta_Vidoh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hi,

So if I go through AlwaysVPN to hide my IP address, then setup an account @ Barnes & Noble with some U.S address I pulled from a website. Will I be able to use a non-U.S. issued credit card and download books, or do they check that the credit card is associated with that address?
Beta_Vidoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
@Beta_Vidoh .. it appears they do not check, if they do.... they don't seem to care.

That is how I buy my books and I have had no problem. You don't need to use alwaysVPN to download the books only during the purchase part. Once I have made the purchase I turn off alwaysVPN and download normally to my PC and via wi-fi on my nook.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Kobo might be your best bet - www.kobobooks.com. Canadian company, so most books in the store should be available for you.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta_Vidoh View Post
So if I go through AlwaysVPN to hide my IP address, then setup an account @ Barnes & Noble with some U.S address I pulled from a website. Will I be able to use a non-U.S. issued credit card and download books, or do they check that the credit card is associated with that address?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
@Beta_Vidoh .. it appears they do not check, if they do.... they don't seem to care.

That is how I buy my books and I have had no problem. You don't need to use alwaysVPN to download the books only during the purchase part. Once I have made the purchase I turn off alwaysVPN and download normally to my PC and via wi-fi on my nook.
That is what the situation is supposed to be, but for some inexplicable reason, I'm having issues. At least one book I got (free) refuses to download because of the "invalid" credit card I mentioned earlier. My card is set as my default payment method, and the billing address is in US.

It worked for the other (also free) books I got, but because it's giving me issues with this one, I'm hesitant to try and actually purchase a novel. But it seems my issues are in the minority.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
pabloh
pabloh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
How about...

Just bypassing the whole credit card problem by buying using Barnes and Noble gift cards?
pabloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
drgrittani
drgrittani began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
For purchasing ebooks on my nook, I use kobobooks or any other online store that sells epubs. I can then load these on my nook or my wife's kobo using Adobe Digital Editions. I only buy the free ebooks from B&N. I also use Calibre to download newspapers and magazines, which work very well on the Nook.
drgrittani is offline   Reply With Quote