Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #16
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
That's a good price at sears but after reading about Vizplex I'm leaning toward the PRS300 now. At 259$ it's affordable and Vizplex makes it faster.

It's "only" a 5" display compared to the 6" on the 505 but I'm willing to trade size for speed. The low price would also allow me to get a nice leather case with a reading light.
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
That's a good price at sears but after reading about Vizplex I'm leaning toward the PRS300 now. At 259$ it's affordable and Vizplex makes it faster.

It's "only" a 5" display compared to the 6" on the 505 but I'm willing to trade size for speed. The low price would also allow me to get a nice leather case with a reading light.
Both the 505 and 300 have Viziplex screens.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #18
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Both the 505 and 300 have Viziplex screens.
That seems right. At first I thought it didn't because the specs on Sony Canada's web site don't mention it but it sais 8 gray scale which, if I'm not mistaking, is a feature of Vizplex as opposed to the 4 gray scales of "older" screens.

PRS-505 it is then, especially at 259$ at sears, sounds like a no brainer.

Edit: Order passed, I should have it next monday. Thanks to everyone who helped I ended up getting a brand new Sony PRS-505 for less than 300$ CAD tax included..............that's what I call a useful forum.

Last edited by EricGagne; 09-07-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Glad to be of help. By the way the 505 comes with a cover. No light though.

Some Coles stores sell Mighty Bright booklights.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #20
EricGagne
Connoisseur

I was interested in the cover with the light to be able to read at night in camping but I'll come up with a solution one way or another.
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
At first I thought it didn't because the specs on Sony Canada's web site don't mention it but it sais 8 gray scale which, if I'm not mistaking, is a feature of Vizplex as opposed to the 4 gray scales of "older" screens.
All EInk screens these days are Vizplex. The difference in gray scales comes from the controller, see E-book Reader Matrix. On 5" screens, the current choice is between 4 and 8 gray levels. There is a distinct advantage to 8 levels for illustrations. There is also an advantage for illustrations for 6" over 5" screens, so the 505 is a good choice (6"and 8 gray scales).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
EricGagne
Connoisseur

I was able to de-DRM one of my purchased Mobipocket books and convert it to ePub. It took me a while to figure out where to get the PID number for my Mobipocket reader. Since it allows me to remove the protection I didn't think it would be as simple as checking out Help->About

I only have 4 Mobipocket books that are protected but I haven't read them yet so it's nice to know I can do it on the 6" screen now instead of the small 120x240 screen of my Garmin iQue M5 PDA.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I'm not sure that all the Hanlin clones can read protected Mobi files. The only 2 that are listed as supported devices on Mobipocket.com are the Hanlin and the BeBook.

I check Astak's web site and the EZReader's specs say non-DRM Prc. I don't think it would read my purchased books.
You can switch firmwares between all those clones. You'll easily find all the firmware versions, even the old ones.
For example, from their official website, the former BeBook firmware update, the last one updating Mobipocket: http://mybebook.com/a18/Download-Mob...icle_info.html
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Sears Canada is selling the 505 for 259.99.
The photo on the Sears site looks like a 505, but the product they're selling for $259 is actually the 300.

Unless they're selling both models? I only saw the 300.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 AM   #25
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

I finally read the description. I noticed it mentions a 5" screen but the rest describes the 505 (sd card slot, memory and weight). I'm pretty sure that it is the 505 but I guess we'll find out for sure when Eric receives it.

Eric let us know when you get it on Monday.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #26
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
When I tried to order one, the model number shown in the confirmation page was 300.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #27
frozennorth
Evangelist

Interesting. We'll just have to wait till Eric gets it on Monday.

Either way Sears did screw up but it's easy enough to return it if it's not the one he wants and there are no shipping charges.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #28
EricGagne
Connoisseur

I asked for it to be delivered at the local Sears counter, there's no shipping fee but they charged 3.00$ for handling. The confirmation email I got doesn't describe the item, not even by name, I only has Sears Item #.

I read a post this morning from someone who has both a 300 and a 505 and he said he prefers the 300 because it's got better contrast and it's a bit smaller.

I'll see on Monday when I get it. If it's a 300 I don't know if I'll keep it or not. Although Sears site doesn't specify a model # I can still return it if I want because the description doesn't match.

Besides not making the deal I thought I was making and waiting a week for nothing should I have any reason to be disappointed if it's a 300.

Last edited by EricGagne; 09-10-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #29
frozennorth
Evangelist

I'll be looking forward to your post on Monday.

Just checked in Sears's Wishbook and it's basically the same info of 5" display and the rest describes the 505 and shows 3 pictures of the 505. Oh and the price in the catalog is listed exactly like this "299.99 OR LOWER".

Aaahhhh the suspense. Another 4 days.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #30
EricGagne
Connoisseur

And 299$ is the current price on Sony's web site with free shipping and custom engraving. I was actually going to order it when you posted that Sears had it for 259$. I ordered from Sears cause I don't care about engraving but I do care about saving 50$

With a little luck maybe I will have it tomorrow........................or not