Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-17-2018, 11:02 PM   #196
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have a cheap cellphone I bought to load up with old time radio shows. I enjoy My Favorite Wife and Jack Benny, but my mainstays are Suspense and Dimension X/X Minus One.
I also like Suspense when they're mysteries. The early ones had a lot of supernatural stuff that I found a bit dull.

One not too well known show that I especially enjoy is "The Halls of ivy" with Ronald Colman and his wife Benita Hume. They managed to deal with real issues that were well ahead of their time by keeping it all sweet. There's nothing else quite like it.

Another show I like, probably my favorite, is "The Six Shooter" with James Stewart. They're exactly the kind of stories you would expect from him. He did 41 episodes during a lull in his career and they're as good as it gets.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #197
ReadOnTheRun
Read Runner
ReadOnTheRun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle E-Reader
In 10 years you won't have to read, you will just download the book into your memory! ;-)
ReadOnTheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #198
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnTheRun View Post
In 10 years you won't have to read, you will just download the book into your memory! ;-)
I'd like that! I could just remember reading "War and Peace" without actually having to do so! Just think how smart I'd sound at the next party! I hope they download how I feel about the book too!

I love technology!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #199
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I also like Suspense when they're mysteries. The early ones had a lot of supernatural stuff that I found a bit dull.

One not too well known show that I especially enjoy is "The Halls of ivy" with Ronald Colman and his wife Benita Hume. They managed to deal with real issues that were well ahead of their time by keeping it all sweet. There's nothing else quite like it.

Another show I like, probably my favorite, is "The Six Shooter" with James Stewart. They're exactly the kind of stories you would expect from him. He did 41 episodes during a lull in his career and they're as good as it gets.

Barry
Thanks Barry. I'll look into both.

Similar to Jimmy Stewart doing The Six Shooter, I also have Bold Venture starring Bogie and Bacall.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #200
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnTheRun View Post
I hope I've passed on to the great Library of the hereafter before that happens.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #201
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'd like that! I could just remember reading "War and Peace" without actually having to do so! Just think how smart I'd sound at the next party! I hope they download how I feel about the book too!

I love technology!
Charlie Brown's life would be much easier.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:42 AM   #202
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post

I love technology!

NO THANKS! What a tool for politicians to fill youe mind with propaganda and instruct you to believe it. Talk about a 1984ish nightmare.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #203
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
NO THANKS! What a tool for politicians to fill youe mind with propaganda and instruct you to believe it. Talk about a 1984ish nightmare.
Just think! everyone agreeing on politics, religion, sex! It would be a real Kumbaya moment!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #204
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have a cheap cellphone I bought to load up with old time radio shows. I enjoy My Favorite Wife and Jack Benny, but my mainstays are Suspense and Dimension X/X Minus One.
Yea, I like them too. Check http://www.radiospirits.com/ for a good collection. It is amazing that most of the TV shows in the 50s were actually the same shows that had appeared on the Radio in the 40s.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #205
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yea, I like them too. Check http://www.radiospirits.com/ for a good collection. It is amazing that most of the TV shows in the 50s were actually the same shows that had appeared on the Radio in the 40s.
Yeah, they mostly just moved them over.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #206
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They often made changes when they moved them to TV. On Gunsmoke on the radio Matt Dillon was played by William Conrad, and played very well. On TV William Conrad later played Cannon and the fat man in Jake and the Fat Man. Somehow they didn't think he fit the part he created when you could actually see him.

Barry
Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #207
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
They often made changes when they moved them to TV. On Gunsmoke on the radio Matt Dillon was played by William Conrad, and played very well. On TV William Conrad later played Cannon and the fat man in Jake and the Fat Man. Somehow they didn't think he fit the part he created when you could actually see him.

Barry
My great grandmother couldn’t watch The Guiding Light because the actors didn't fit when it went from Radio to TV.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #208
barryem
Wizard

An interesting point on William Conrad which highlights a difference in radio and TV was that he was in more radio radio shows and episodes than any other actor except Agnes Moorehead, although he wasn't even a close second to her. And yet on TV neither of them had much impact and the reasons are fairly obvious.

And after this I'll try to get back on-topic in this thread.

Barry
Old 01-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #209
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
An interesting point on William Conrad which highlights a difference in radio and TV was that he was in more radio radio shows and episodes than any other actor except Agnes Moorehead, although he wasn't even a close second to her. And yet on TV neither of them had much impact and the reasons are fairly obvious.

Barry
Do you mean Endora from Bewitched?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #210
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Barry
A similar thing happened when talkies appeared at the theater.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote