Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #16
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Generally, yes, if the books have no DRM. They must be in the right format for the reader, naturally. With Kindles it's azw3 (mobi works too, but azw3 is better) and you must copy the book not to the root folder, but to the documents folder.
Correct, with one clarification:

With Kindles, dragon-drop will work even when the AZW3 or MOBI has DRM, provided the DRM'd ebook was downloaded directly from Amazon while specifying the particular Kindle at download time. When you purchase and select "download to computer", you will then be asked to specify which Kindle will be getting the book.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #17
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I know with a nook you will drag ebooks to "my files" folder in the nook drive
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapjim View Post
So I'll take it that all readers that have an SD slot will read books from the SD card. Nice.

Thanks everyone!
Yes, any e-reader with an SD card slot can read books from it. Though over the last few years, fewer and fewer new models offer one.

It may not be so easy as plug in an SD card loaded with books at first though. It may just be me, but when I bought my Kobo Aura, I tried pulling my SD card full of ePubs from my deceased Nook and plugging it into the Kobo and no joy.

I wound up having to reformat the card to use it with my Kobo. My experience may not be typical though.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #19
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Is sideloading a book to a reader as simple as connecting the reader on my PC (Windows 7 and FreeBSD) and do a drag-n-drop of the file?

This is a general question about the status quo of the readers out there. I understand that I'll need to research the specific reader I'll be buying to make sure it works the way I want to.

My plan is to never, ever put the reader online, keep all ebooks on my external hard drive, and expect nothing from the cloud, be it storage of syncing.
Some functions on an ereader may not work without registering at least once. This is especially true if there has been an upgrade for fonts and such. Just want you to be aware of that. I discovered the significance when I got all these refurbished units from Woot.com. Except for the Kindle keyboard, the updates were significant, often improving text 100%. For my gift, I registered the unit to my account, did the updates, downloaded the dictionaries, then deregistered the unit and gifted it. Her Dad sideloads any books she needs from the flashdrive I have with Calibre mobile. Even library books from the 3M cloud or Overdrive can be sideloaded. The dictionary is a must have for an ereader, IMHO. The ereader does not come preloaded with that.

Anyway, whether you register or not, provided your ebooks have no DRM on them, it's easy to plug in, open Calibre, find your book and plug it right into your ereader. Removal is just as easy.

Note: I don't know what FreeBSD is.

I have a Nook ST with an SD card and I keep all my side-loaded books on it. I think I get 3.71 gigs total with the SD card and internal memory combined.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-06-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #20
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Is sideloading a book to a reader as simple as connecting the reader on my PC (Windows 7 and FreeBSD) and do a drag-n-drop of the file?
Yes. I keep my SD card in my reader, hook it up via usb and can do operations like "find $EBOOK_LIBRARY -name $TITLE -exec cp {} /mnt/ebook.mount" with no prob. Won't matter which OS you use, the SD card will be vfat/fat32.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 04:36 AM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
One point though, if books have drm, most likley you won't be be able to download them with freeBSD.

You would need kindle for PC, or Adobe digital edition.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #22
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
One point though, if books have drm, most likley you won't be be able to download them with freeBSD.

You would need kindle for PC, or Adobe digital edition.
FreeBSD has packages available for Calibre and Wine. While I have't used Adobe Digital Edition on Wine on FreeBSD recently, version 1.7 runs on Linux, and I suspect that it would work on FreeBSD as well.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
FreeBSD has packages available for Calibre and Wine. While I have't used Adobe Digital Edition on Wine on FreeBSD recently, version 1.7 runs on Linux, and I suspect that it would work on FreeBSD as well.
And I think you don't need ADE on the PC; ADE on a phone or tablet should work. And if you have an older kindle, you wouldn't need Kindle for PC?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #24
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

This is a general question about the status quo of the readers out there. I understand that I'll need to research the specific reader I'll be buying to make sure it works the way I want to.

My plan is to never, ever put the reader online, keep all ebooks on my external hard drive, and expect nothing from the cloud, be it storage of syncing.
The never register or go on line will not work with the current Kobo readers so far as I know. On arrival you must either enable wi-fi or choose to connect to the Kobo application on a computer to register it and access the reader itself. I recently received a Kobo Aura One with defective Wi-Fi so I could not register it and it would not allow me to proceed further or access the reading functions. I am in the process of returning it for replacement.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #25
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
On arrival you must either enable wi-fi or choose to connect to the Kobo application on a computer to register it and access the reader itself.
Never buying a Kobo. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #26
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
The never register or go on line will not work with the current Kobo readers so far as I know. On arrival you must either enable wi-fi or choose to connect to the Kobo application on a computer to register it and access the reader itself.
You just have to stick anything into the user table, it doesn't need to be a real account. Running sqlite on it and doing something like:

INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('','','','made_up@email.address','','','',' ', '','','','','','','','');

will work, without ever registering an account, enabling wi-fi, or connecting to the desktop app.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=171664 has more discussion. See page 5 for current table structure.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:31 AM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Correct, with one clarification:

With Kindles, dragon-drop will work even when the AZW3 or MOBI has DRM.
From what height would you recommend dropping the dragon? Is the height different for mobi or AZW3?

Just by the way, coffee is not recommended as a sinus cleaner!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #28
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From what height would you recommend dropping the dragon? Is the height different for mobi or AZW3?

Just by the way, coffee is not recommended as a sinus cleaner!

Nor is it recommended for a monitor cleaner!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:02 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The never register or go on line will not work with the current Kobo readers so far as I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Never buying a Kobo. Thanks for the info.
I just don't get that attitude.

I understand not wanting to have someone watch all your activity over your shoulder. But if all that is required is to go online once and register and then you can turn off WiFi and never use it again, what is the harm?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #30
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I just don't get that attitude.

I understand not wanting to have someone watch all your activity over your shoulder. But if all that is required is to go online once and register and then you can turn off WiFi and never use it again, what is the harm?
I don't believe in rewarding bad behaviour. Why would they require me to have to go online even once in order to use a product I paid for? There are other offerings that don't require me to use wifi or **register**, which should be a dirty word for anyone. There is surely no technical reason so why? Why do they care? I don't know or care, I just know how to protect my privacy and there's no reason at all for me to knowingly sacrifice it.

My Onyx works just fine without registration or wifi and so do my Sony ereaders. They'll get my money, not Kobo.