Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
How would you change Amazon's Kindle?

Those of you who own the Kindle -- would you actually want to change it?

Quote:
How's about a color screen, for starters? Maybe a little more responsiveness? A little less '80, a little more '08 in the design?
Engadget
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I wish they had done something like keep the right-hand next page lever the same size as the left one, and used the upper part of the right-hand lever to put the off/on switch and the wireless off/on switch. They could easily hide the two switches under a matching plastic cover. This would provide easy access to those two switches without the need to have access to the back, and would allow a more firmly anchored cover.

I've never had the reader fall from the cover, but you always have the feeling that it could happen.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Color screen would be nice but....

Better content manager is number one for me. List books by purchase date. Enable folders to group books. This is already done in the MobiPocket reader so it should be easy to implement on the Kindle.

Desktop reader for .AZW books. Now that I have dead Kindle and am waiting on a new one I can't read any of my .AZW content.

I like the design but smaller page turn bars/buttons wouldn't upset me.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The hardware is "good enough", although I agree completely about the cover, the right hand page levers, and the on/off switches.

What is needed is improved software:
  • Multiple fonts
  • Smaller (or adjustable) line spacing
  • Folders
  • DRMed MobiPocket support
  • Search a single e-book
I would wait for a larger screen before upgrading the hardware. On a device with an 8" or 9" screen, I would add a PDF reader with the ability to add notes and search etcetera (even though it would not "reflow" the file for display).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
my number 1 suggestion is to make the screen wider....by 1.5 to 2 inches. and while they r add it...a bit longer.

i feel that u read slower on the kindle because it ia narrower.....makes my eyes fatigued going back and forth so much
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
1. Better designed cover to keep device in.

2. Wireless & on/off switch on the front.

3. Of course, smaller paging buttons. Much smaller.

4. Larger and darker letters on the keyboard

5. Let reader pick larger type for all menus, dictionary definitions, etc instead of just for the text in books.

6. I'd like separate clippings documents: one for actual text you want to save, and another for bookmarks, etc.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Pretty much what everyone else has said... except I like the size of the buttons.

The UI is a big problem... the lack of any sort of way to create playlists, etc makes it difficult (for books.)

The keypad would be much better if it was rubber, I find typing on the plastic keys a bit uncomfortable.

But otherwise... very, very happy. Once I got used to the next page buttons I liked them much more Sony's.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Personally, I read faster and for a longer period of time on the Kindle than I do with books. The screen is fine for me.

However, I agree with Tallmom that there needs to be better content management; book folders and/or categories, etc.
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

I would like the option to choose left or right side page turns. That way I can hold the Kindle anywhere without fear of accidentally turning a page.

A case that acts like a book cover or looks like a case. What I mean is, the current one is really a protective case that looks like a cover, but in no way can be used as one. They should take a lesson from Sony on this one. They could have had the same hard shell, but allowed it to attach to the kindle securely.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

The placement of the back button.

True file management, i.e. folders. If I sort by author, I would like the home screen to only show one listing for the author like they do for newspapers.

The ability to load custom fonts.

The ability to edit txt files. Not anything ridiculous. I just want to be able to correct one of my typos on a line without taking the file back to the computer.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:07 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
If I was in position to make a single change I would suggest:

Start selling this thing internationally.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:56 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

That would indeed be the blindingly obvious change to make; I'm astonished that it's not top of everybody's list . They'd need to change the EVDO to EDGE, of course, for the international market, but that should involve no more than the simple replacement of a single module. What's more work, I suspect, is negotiating the deals with the various world-wide telecoms operators.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:12 AM   #13
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

Plus, make it at least $200 cheaper.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #14
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I think there may be good reasoning behind NOT having gone international yet. Given that others have commented on the risk Amazon took even entering the hardware market with an e-reader, if Amazon recognized this risk from the beginning, then a limited release would make sense.

I would say it would be "blindlingly obvious" once they were more confident that the effort would meet with a reasonable degree of success. I suspect that Jeff Bezos likes to make money, at least I hope he does, so when he's reasonably sure that it will be profitable to go international and they work out all the details, we will probably see an international version.

Does anyone think the Kindle is a success yet or that it may be too premature to make that determination? Yes, they seem to have sold lots of units in the first few months, but I think it takes a little longer to determine the staying power of the device and their ebook market.
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #15
JustinLong
JustinLong began at the beginning.

Some basic changes

I use the Kindle overseas. Its wonderful because now I can buy and download books without having to ship them overseas. I have a 2GB SD card that is getting closed to being fully loaded.

1. Folders for organizing books into topics.
2. Somehow my Kindle has begun sorting the most recent books in reverse order. No idea how to fix this.
3. Need to be able to download samples of books as well as full purchased copies. Right now you can't download samples if you want them.
4. Need to be able to buy a specific book for a friend's Kindle. How else am I going to send specific Christmas presents to friends who have Kindles?
5. I would like international wireless support but if I could d/l samples & full books then I would be happy.
JustinLong is offline   Reply With Quote