ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
Ouch! Scathing review of the vox!

Check the link to see the review.
I think there are 3 things to consider in this review:
He got a lemon (covered by warranty)
He tested it while it was busy downloading & there was a bunch of apps open.
He's partially correct about the vox's ability to function as a tablet.

On another note that I wasn't aware of: There seems to be a difference between using the home button (which keeps the app running in the background) and the return button (which exits out of the app).

So depending on which button you use, you would have a bunch of apps running without you knowing it and causing the tablet to run slow....or you could exit programs you want to keep running (like an mp3 player).

Here's the link...comments on the review please.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/11/04/ko...han-one-video/
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1959 View Post
On another note that I wasn't aware of: There seems to be a difference between using the home button (which keeps the app running in the background) and the return button (which exits out of the app).
I use Advanced Task Killer for this.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Task killers in Android rarely do any device any favours. The way Android manages background apps is to basically suspend their state and keep that in the background, so when you switch back, it resumes from wherever you were before. In Android, background apps do not affect your battery life or the performance of the device.

At best, task killers do nothing. In some circumstances, like if you use an auto-kill feature, task killers can use up the CPU in the background monitoring and killing apps.

The GetJar market should have an app called Watchdog available. Rather than monitoring RAM usage (which is damn near useless), it monitors CPU usage. You can set it up so that if there's an app using up your CPU more than it should, it'll let you know and ask you if you want to kill that app.

It's a similar situation to when Microsoft changed memory usage in Windows in... I think it was Vista. So in Vista onwards, if your RAM is full or near full, it's a good thing, because Windows does something called precaching on programs. It works out what programs you use the most and so are most likely to launch, and precaches them so they open more quickly.

So these days, RAM tends to be used a little differently to how it was even five years ago.

Might also be worth noting that, depending on how an app has been written, using the Back button won't necessarily exit it. It generally does, but again, it depends on the developer.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
That's an interesting review but I agree he just had too much happening at once. And then he goes on to recommend a tablet that costs well over double the price. I think he missed the whole point of the box market.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
It's odd that Android doesn't manage it's system resources better, but neither does Apple's iOS. Task Killer solves SO many problems. In fact, I would argue that the most essential app installs for a new Vox owner are Astro File Manager, Drop Box, and Advanced Task Killer. With these three, everything else falls into place.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You can verify which apps are running and stop them using your Application Manager... Tap the Home button (the middle one at the bottom of the Vox) then tap Manage Apps. At the top right corner of your screen, tap Running. You can see what is running and close anything you don't need by tapping on the app's listing. One of the choices at the top is Force Stop.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Stories like this reinforce the need for quality control - and given the number of issues I've seen here, I'm afraid that the reviewer wasn't alone. Hell, my first one was a lemon - and only with a lot of work have I gotten mine into a usable state.

I will note that removing the Rdio and all those Facebook-based INQ widgets helped my responsiveness a bit. Switching to Zeam launcher removed the Kobo shortcuts from the dock, but improved the overall responsiveness of the unit even more.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Unfortunately that review, at least here in Canada, is now on Google's Technology News page.

I'd suggest folks respond as appropriate to that review.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Stories like this reinforce the need for quality control - and given the number of issues I've seen here, I'm afraid that the reviewer wasn't alone. Hell, my first one was a lemon - and only with a lot of work have I gotten mine into a usable state.

I will note that removing the Rdio and all those Facebook-based INQ widgets helped my responsiveness a bit. Switching to Zeam launcher removed the Kobo shortcuts from the dock, but improved the overall responsiveness of the unit even more.
Kobo has always had an issue with quality control...I even posted a message on this forum about that exact topic.

I went in buying the Vox expecting to have some issues. Why would I buy from a company that has issues like that, you ask? It's price, mostly. Also because I liked the features and design. I think I kinda 'get' Kobo, too - I have dealt with a lot of their employees and they are just so dedicated and supportive of their products - they just need a little more time to get the ball rolling...and fortunately, I am pretty patient when it comes to my 'toys'.

Now, mess with my TV or my laptop, then all hell breaks loose!!! Sony and Dell have heard me shout at them one too many times!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Unfortunately that review, at least here in Canada, is now on Google's Technology News page.

I'd suggest folks respond as appropriate to that review.
Let's see, Google opens their bookstore to Canadians and features a bad review of the Kobo tablet at the same time...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Google news is curated by algorithm, not humans so they didn't "feature" it; just a lot of people were reading the review. Besides, to be perfectly honest, the review wasn't exactly "scathing" - every issue it raised has also been discussed here by early adopters.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
maybe not the best review, But i'm seeing more and more and more of similar "stay away" reviews of Kobo, and their devices.
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
maybe not the best review, But i'm seeing more and more and more of similar "stay away" reviews of Kobo, and their devices.
I think Lordvic it's human nature. Ask yourself, how often does one complain about poor service (in ANY location, ANY form) vs. how often do you praise for good service?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
It makes me sad to see that, though I agree that the amount of time to get it set up almost made me return it and not being able to charge via usb is a PITA, now that it's going I love it. I love the ability to be reading in bed, suddenly remember an email I forgot to send, and checking out the Halloween pictures of my niece that just arrived without even crawling out from under my comforter.
Other than the few fixable glitches that most new-to-the-market have, I'd like to see that long start up and forced login/register thing changed. I can only imagine xmas morning someone excitedly unwrapping a Vox and being unable to easily just plug it in and see it. That's the main reason I'm not getting one for my mother. She'd be frustrated in minutes, disappointed to not be reading on a shiny new ereader that day, and send me to return it the next day lol.
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by msxman View Post
It makes me sad to see that, though I agree that the amount of time to get it set up almost made me return it and not being able to charge via usb is a PITA, now that it's going I love it. I love the ability to be reading in bed, suddenly remember an email I forgot to send, and checking out the Halloween pictures of my niece that just arrived without even crawling out from under my comforter.
Other than the few fixable glitches that most new-to-the-market have, I'd like to see that long start up and forced login/register thing changed. I can only imagine xmas morning someone excitedly unwrapping a Vox and being unable to easily just plug it in and see it. That's the main reason I'm not getting one for my mother. She'd be frustrated in minutes, disappointed to not be reading on a shiny new ereader that day, and send me to return it the next day lol.
I think that's also why it's hard to get a good demo of the Vox, too...so much set up required....unlike the KT that is ready to read with preloaded books. I was happy to set it up...it gave me some more training for when I get my new android phone!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote