Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2Read View Post
Forgive me if this information has already been given and I just missed it, but when is the Cybook going on sale?

I want one!
Take a look at the final sentence of Michael's initial post in this thread .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #17
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Take a look at the final sentence of Michael's initial post in this thread .
Duh!

Thanks!
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Nate,

While our immediate goal at NAEB is to do a 'club' purchase of Bookeen readers, we will be working towards being a solid e-retail outlet for Bookeen devices. You have to understand that we're building NAEB from the resources of five, that's right *FIVE*, average people who have average lives and average incomes. We've generated buzz to the point where we have over five hundred people interested in buying one of the Bookeen readers and we hope to place a first order for one thousand units.

Clearly, as we don't have the financial resources of Sony, Hanlin, or iRex/Phillips, we must take it slow. But we will get there. And I believe that the Bookeen Cybook is going to be a quality device, of value to our customers.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yeah, you and 199 of your friends. Bookeen doesn't sell devices retail, they sell them wholesale. Otherwise NAEB would just send people there instead of being a middle-man.

Bookeen may start selling this device retail. If they do, I'll buy direct.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telurio View Post
Hello from Spain.This is my first post here and I hope you understand to me because my English is poor.
I have a question for you Michael.Cybook will read RAR files for comics?.I tell you this because that is the "STANDARD" on PC with programs to read those how CDISPLAY.

Thanks and sorry by my bad english
I highly doubt the Cybook will read from ZIP or RAR files. You'd have to decompress to the native JPG and upload those to the reader in order to display them. And as for ZIP format CBR, that's most likely a no as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #20
Michael
Michael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook
[Bookeen] New information

Hello everyone,

The relationship between Bookeen and BAEN/NAEB corresponds exactly to Derek's description. One important point, the people from NAEB will be among the firsts to test and evaluate the device.

Concerning compressed files, the Cybook device will support compressed formats. The supported formats will be released with software specifications soon.

Best regards,

Michael
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #21
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
?

So the only way to get a Cybook will be to go through NAEB and, what, get on a list or something indicating you want to be part of a group purchase?

Is this correct?

P.S. Total newbie here...I don't even know what NAEB is.....
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nah, it just sounds like they might be first.

NAEB stands for "Not Another E-Book" -- you can find their site here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #23
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I wonder if the software program will be ubook (which I love) because that used to be included in the Cybook reader.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I wonder if the software program will be ubook (which I love) because that used to be included in the Cybook reader.
Highly unlikely. The new CyBook runs the Linux operating system; uBook is a Windows application.

My all-time-fave book reading app too, by the way!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #25
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Highly unlikely. The new CyBook runs the Linux operating system; uBook is a Windows application.

My all-time-fave book reading app too, by the way!
Yep, most of these e-ink devices are based on Linux.
I hope that Michaël and Laurent will let developers create third party app for the reader, we could have some pretty neat applications like on the iLiad in this case.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #26
yggdrasil
yggdrasil began at the beginning.

Device: NAEB Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
snip/
You have to understand that we're building NAEB from the resources of five, that's right *FIVE*, average people who have average lives and average incomes.
/snip
While that's technically true, it doesn't tell the whole story. The original idea was to form a co-op to do a group purchase (well, the ORIGINAL original idea grew out of a baen-bar forum discussion on e-book readers and was for a co-op to develop an independent ebook device - but it turned out later that the cybook pretty much fulfilled all the requirements for the first generation version for less money than we could possibly hope for and it was therefore a better idea to just buy them). The five people Derek mentions formed the governing board of the co-op. The hitch with that was once the board was formed, the next step of member buy-in never materialized. NOT because no one was interested (plenty of people asked about it and offered to buy in) but apparently because of issues with money management prior to creation of the corporate entity (who receives the funds, how do we pay for the commercial bank accounts for a company that may or may not get off the ground, what happens to the money if it turns out that the cybook isn't the greatest thing since sliced e-ink, etc). Plenty of people like yours truly would love to buy into the NAEB co-op to support this project.

All that aside, and to reiterate, the NAEB reader really is a cybook - NAEB is acting as a retail outlet through a buying-group rather than as a competitor since individual retail sales directly from bookeen aren't in the works yet.
yggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #27
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Aaah! An other Hyperion fan. Welcome by! I always liked the Yggdrasil name. It's the type of word that dances through your head for days.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #28
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Aaah! An other Hyperion fan. Welcome by! I always liked the Yggdrasil name. It's the type of word that dances through your head for days.
Yggdrasil is the tree of life in Norse mythology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil

Not necessarily linked to Dan Simmons' work.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, except that Simmons drew on that ... root, of course.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #30
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Thanks for the info Hadrien. I guess yggdrasil himself will share with us where he chose that name. It stll has a certain musicality to it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote