Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #46
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Deleted by poster.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 01-01-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Senoritis or Old Timer's Disease, take your pick.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #47
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The default layout of that dialog will always make it most convenient to edit the basic metadata. I may consider making the layout dynamic to accommodate people with small screens/lots of custom columns, but that's going to be rather a lot of work.
Actually, the default layout is quite inconvenient for me. I seldom (almost never) edit covers, comments, and formats. I edit the other metadata with much higher frequency, with the custom columns having the highest (priority & status for two readers, followed by rights). The next in line is rating as I read books, then series as I discover mistakes, then dates also for mistakes.

Finally, and I fully admit this is highly subjective, I think that the current layout is not visually attractive. I could be helped if there were a spacer that pushed the standard metadata up eliminating the spaces, but does nothing about all the space around the cover. I like dense layouts, and what we have today is very airy.

The above notwithstanding, I recognize the validity of the 'usual user' argument. In the end, you (Kovid) must support them, not me. I have been wanting to explore UI plugins, and this may be my opportunity.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #48
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My 2p worth As a user with no custom columns I would be grumpy about having to switch tabs. Particularly given there is no other way to add/edit comments when they are missing from metadata - it is my #1 reason for using that dialog.

I also use the ability to remove formats and (infrequently) grab a cover from a format when I am too lazy to google for one. So I use the functions others here don't, haha. I find it faster to remove formats that way than drill into the remove menu because of the E keyboard shortcut, and the fact that it only lists the formats I have of the book, not a dialog of every possible format in the library like the menu option does.

The spacing however on the new dialog visually just looks wrong to me - vertical spacing of the textboxes on the LHS in particular. I would much prefer a conventional spacing and have a blank space at the bottom LHS. Personally I would have swapped the location of the image and comments on that dialog (so image is back where it used to be) as comments need the most space but that's just me.

Incidentally do people realise you can drag/drop formats and covers without even using the edit metadata dialog? Drop the cover on top of the book details image on the rhs - I use this ALL the time to avoid opening the edit dialog. I've been tempted to add drag/drop for the comments text to the book details panel as well because my workflow is so frequently to drag/drop a cover from FantasticFiction or other site, then copy the text and paste into the comments in the metadata dialog.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #49
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The problem with that layout is, imagine you are a common calibre users who has 0, 1 or 2 custom columns, that would mean all the space on the right is wasted and you have to unnecessarily switch tabs to edit the cover/comments/formats.

The default layout of that dialog will always make it most convenient to edit the basic metadata.
I'm not against change, but I'm one of those common calibre users.

I love the dialog as it stands, being able to access all basic data in one shot. Most of the time I touch all three panes (metadata, cover and comments) when setting/adding a book. Moving to Chaley's scheme as the default would significantly get in the way.

If possible an option checkbox like the narrow wide feature might be an alternative.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I dis-like the current button placement <Swap Author<-> Title> being too near the set Set_Sort buttons.

Remember, I am a Klutz
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #51
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Can't speak for others of course, but yeah, I guess a custom comment column would be rare. How would you use such a thing (I'm not being flip; I'm really curious)?...
Um...I'm dying of curiosity.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #52
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Um...I'm dying of curiosity.
There are several uses that I have heard about.

1) personal reviews vs back-jacket reviews
2) reviews from different sources
3) instructions for complicated conversions, for example option settings
4) individual reviews/notes for multiple users
5) chain of acquisition, by which I mean where the book was obtained, whether and how it was de-infested, what format is the master, what editing was done, and the like.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #53
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There are several uses that I have heard about.

1) personal reviews vs back-jacket reviews
2) reviews from different sources
3) instructions for complicated conversions, for example option settings
4) individual reviews/notes for multiple users
5) chain of acquisition, by which I mean where the book was obtained, whether and how it was de-infested, what format is the master, what editing was done, and the like.
Hmm... All but 4) could be done in the default comment pane (I often add my own comments and edit the "back jacket" reviews). 4) makes perfect sense for multiple users. How and where does the custom comment pane appear on screen?

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 01-02-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #54
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmm... All but 4) could be done in the default comment pane (I often add my own comments and edit the "back jacket" reviews). 4) makes perfect sense for multiple users. How and where does the custom comment pane appear on screen?
Yes, all could be put into the standard comments field, but the requesters didn't want to do it that way.

Custom comments show (often partially) in a column on the library view, and in full in the book information screen.

Edit: If you edit a custom comment from the library view, then an editing box opens in the foreground showing you the same box you see in edit-metadata.

Edit 2: One rationale that should be mentioned came from a content server user. S/he wanted to control what information went on the web, and could do that by segregating the various kinds into different comments columns. Some columns are shown, and others are not.

Last edited by chaley; 01-02-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #55
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Yes, all could be put into the standard comments field, but the requesters didn't want to do it that way.
I am using custom comments fields, please don't remove them ...

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #56
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Absolutely no intention to. Imagine the pain of removing *working* bits of code!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #57
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post

G
I seriously doubt that will happen; too many people are using them. Imagine the uprising if that were to happen? I can just see it; an angry mob with wooden pitch forks, rakes and clubs and flaming torches descending on Albuquerque, NM...