Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #46
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'll throw in a latecomer.

The Star Beast by Robert Heinlein.

A heart warming story about a boy and his pet alien. . . .who has been a family pet for generations. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #47
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will second both of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I’m going to nominate A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Here's a Goodreads link for this and it is less than $6 at Amazon US.

It only appears to be available as an audio book from Overdrive though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #48
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I'll throw in a latecomer.

A heart warming story about a boy and his pet alien. . . .who has been a family pet for generations. . .
I’ve used up my votes, but it sounds like fun! Another one for the tbr.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #49
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will third A Wrinke in Time because it’s one I was thinking of nominating. I have never read this classic, but I bought it several years ago on sale intending to read it someday.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #50
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm confused. I thought your concern was that my nomination wasn't the first book of the series. But now you think it doesn't fit the category even though it's about young people? I haven't read it; I'm going off the blurbs. But if the focus is children and teenagers, why doesn't it fit?
If that's the book you think fits the category, then that's fine by the rest of us, so stick with it, Catlady!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #51
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
If that's the book you think fits the category, then that's fine by the rest of us, so stick with it, Catlady!
Yup. There are no Theme Police here -- if you think it fits, it fits.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #52
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

issybird mentioned before that she has been having computer problems, so I think her machine must have collapsed completely, as she hasn’t been keeping the thread up to date.

I expect she will find some way to get it sorted out, but in the meantime I think we have five books fully nominated, and three in the one or two votes category.

Fully nominated:

Airman
The Go-between
Anne of Green Gables
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
A Wrinkle in Time

One or two nominations:
One Night in Winter *
Mother Carey’s Chickens *
The Star Beast **

Hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #53
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yup. There are no Theme Police here -- if you think it fits, it fits.
By all means, don’t take my word on it. I’d gladly read it again if it won. In fact I’ll second it!
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #54
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Excellent - I shall third One Night in Winter, so that’s another one for the fully nominated list.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #55
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
For my last ticket I nominate The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It is a parody of (and tribute to) Jungle Book. It is the only novel to win both the Newbery Medal and the Carnegie Medal.

From Goodreads:
Quote:
After the grisly murder of his entire family, a toddler wanders into a graveyard where the ghosts and other supernatural residents agree to raise him as one of their own.

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family...
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #56
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
For my last ticket I nominate The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It is a parody of (and tribute to) Jungle Book. It is the only novel to win both the Newbery Medal and the Carnegie Medal.

From Goodreads:
Great nomination - I enjoyed it very much. Sadly I have used up all my tickets.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #57
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Great nomination - I enjoyed it very much. Sadly I have used up all my tickets.
Well, I've never been a huge fan of Gaiman, but it does sound interesting, and with both of you liking it, I'll use my last ticket for a second. We've still got a couple of days, so hopefully a third will come along.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #58
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I third The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. This is one of my favourites of his.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:12 PM   #59
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I third The Star Beast by Robert Heinlein. Thanks for the suggestion, Ralph, it's one of Heinlein's that I have not read before.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:04 AM   #60
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Okay, so this is how it looks now:

Fully nominated:

Airman (gmw, Victoria, CRussel)
The Go-Between (issybird, bfisher, Bookpossum)
Anne of Green Gables (CRussel, Victoria, bfisher)
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Dazrin, Bookpossum, Bookworm_Girl)
A Wrinkle in Time (Victoria, Dazrin, Bookworm_Girl)
One Night in Winter (Catlady, drofgnal, Bookpossum)
The Star Beast (Ralph Sir Edward, Dazrin, gmw)
The Graveyard Book (Bookworm_Girl, CRussel, gmw)

One nomination:

Mother Carey’s Chickens * (Catlady)

Last edited by Bookpossum; 04-06-2019 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Adding in the members nominating each book