Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Monospace and other technical book formatting issues

Still evaluating KOReader on my Linux box in preparation for using it on my Kobo, and ran into this interesting problem with the rendering on an ePub of a technical journal. For reference, the journal can be downloaded here: https://accu.org/journals/overload/overload156

Anyhow, I've noticed that monospaced fonts are not shown as monospace (which I've confirmed are displayed as monospace in Calibre's ebook-viewer, and that the css specifies monospace using the highlight & show HTML/CSS feature). I also noticed that some of the overlayed text/images are not rendered correctly.

Is this a known bug, or should I submit a report on gitlab?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badRendering.png
Views:	136
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	182482   Click image for larger version

Name:	KOReader.png
Views:	151
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	182483   Click image for larger version

Name:	CalbreViewer.png
Views:	132
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	182484  
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... edit: I also noticed that I do not have full-width images turned on, yet they are beings scaled to full width.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard

I found an option to enable system fonts, which fixed the monospace problem, but not the overlay problem. Will that also carry over to the Kobo install?
Old 10-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The answer to "should I open a GH issue?" will pretty much always be "yes" .

Very few things are actually platform-specific.

In this specific case, KOreader's "system" fonts setting is hidden (and force-enabled) on Kobo (and most other !Desktop platforms). With a caveat: "system" fonts are actually unusable on Kobo (they're obfuscated/encrypted). What is enabled by default are "user" fonts (i.e., what's in /mnt/onboard/fonts), same as Nickel.

That said, we ship Droid Sans Mono, so the "monospace" alias should point to that if nothing else, IIRC.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
... edit: I also noticed that I do not have full-width images turned on, yet they are beings scaled to full width.
Are you sure you didn't touch the document zoom? I cannot reproduce that issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nozoom.png
Views:	120
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	182485  
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard

Your screenshot doesn't reproduce the image scaling, but does reproduce the more important issue, which is that the numbers are all missing.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard

...so, I looked at the source for the image and saw that it referenced an svg file, so I unzipped the epub and see that the missing numbers are actually part of the svg, not some trick with overlapping text/image -- so it looks like it's actually a problem with the svg rendering.

EDIT: I've opened the svg in vim and it looks like the svg references an embedded font, "Times New Roman embedded", as well as some embedded glyphs for the 1, 0, ., and + symbols and the various bullets.

EDIT2: And if I browse to the unzipped media folder I see that none of the text in any of the svg files gets rendered.

EDIT3: Looks like it's a known limitation of nanosvg.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-05-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your screenshot doesn't reproduce the image scaling, but does reproduce the more important issue, which is that the numbers are all missing.
Having all issues mixed together doesn't work well. I was addressing the issue you mentioned on the quote. Which I couldn't repro.

About the other issue, see next post
Old 10-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
...so, I looked at the source for the image and saw that it referenced an svg file, so I unzipped the epub and see that the missing numbers are actually part of the svg, not some trick with overlapping text/image -- so it looks like it's actually a problem with the svg rendering.

EDIT: I've opened the svg in vim and it looks like the svg references an embedded font, "Times New Roman embedded", as well as some embedded glyphs for the 1, 0, ., and + symbols and the various bullets.

EDIT2: And if I browse to the unzipped media folder I see that none of the text in any of the svg files gets rendered.
Yup. Nanosvg doesn't support embedded text. See https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-703837152
Old 10-06-2020, 12:50 AM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Do we still have the ability to open a file using the other reader? Just a thought.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You mean long-press in the file manager and choose open with MuPDF? Could be worth a shot, it has SVG support too. But right now we're still on MuPDF 1.13, while 2020.11 will likely be upgraded to 1.17 thanks to @ezdiy's efforts. You can check that rendering independently from KOReader too.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote