Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #421
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
When people outside the US look at the dot com site (without blocking their location) they’re normally shown what kindle books are available to them, not what’s available to US customers. Even if their country has its own site.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #422
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I used a Tor connection with a relay located in the US for the connection to Amazon.com. My Amazon account shows me as being a Canadian customer so it doesn't seem to matter where my IP geolocates.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #423
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I used a Tor connection with a relay located in the US for the connection to Amazon.com. My Amazon account shows me as being a Canadian customer so it doesn't seem to matter where my IP geolocates.
Yes, I should have been clearer.
Some people outside the US think that what they see in Kindle books on the dot com site is what US customers see. That is not the case unless you go to extra lengths to block your location and completely log out/disassociate from your account. If Amazon knows where you are they will show you your availability. The dot com site is not solely the US site. I use Private mode on my iPad if I want to quickly just see an international price.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:00 AM   #424
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
When people outside the US look at the dot com site (without blocking their location) they’re normally shown what kindle books are available to them, not what’s available to US customers. Even if their country has its own site.
I did see a Kindle edition priced $10.97. I didn't try to buy it.

Being from Denmark I quite often experience that a Kindle book is not "available for purchase". But when I can buy a book I believed that everyone in US could buy it. Pierre Boulle is French so there are probably some strange rights involved.

The Bridge On the River Kwai is available as an epub in a Danish bookstore.
Their English epubs are ADE protected. I don't know if they sell outside Denmark, but here is a link
Edit. The price in Danish crowns is about $10.

Last edited by svenlind; 05-25-2021 at 05:03 AM.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #425
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yep. I think that many times, once the author dies, the estate simply isn't all that interested in keeping the books in print unless we are talking a major hit. Way back when Jim Baen was active on his web board, he mentioned that most books earn most of their money within the first or two year of publishing. Authors with a big backlist that keep writing, can get a steady flow of money from readers who discover the author, then buy the backlist. Jerry Pournelle once referred to his backlist books as his 401-K.

But once the author dies, for the vast majority of authors, there just isn't much incentive to get the book out in ebook form.
Once an author dies, interest to read that author's books can peak.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #426
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bridge on the River Kwai is £4.16 at eBooks.com in the UK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #427
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Paideia

Funny how releases are often so inconsistent. A book on Greek philosophy called Paideia only had volume 3 released on the kindle. It has been years and there is no sign of volumes 1-2.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:39 AM   #428
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Well, hell!

I'm starting to get tired of waiting for "Islandia," by Austin Tappan Wright.

Somebody get me a scotch on the rocks! *

* I am not advocating drinking alcohol to minors who may be members of M̶o̶b̶i̶l̶e̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ Mobileread.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #429
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, hell!

I'm starting to get tired of waiting for "Islandia," by Austin Tappan Wright.

Somebody get me a scotch on the rocks! *

* I am not advocating drinking alcohol to minors who may be members of M̶o̶b̶i̶l̶e̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ Mobileread.
That's an interesting case. The author died in 1931 and wasn't published until 1942. That's one that I suspect won't be available until it hits PD.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #430
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's an interesting case. The author died in 1931 and wasn't published until 1942. That's one that I suspect won't be available until it hits PD.
Ah, but I'm willing to pay for it.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:05 AM   #431
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, but I'm willing to pay for it.

I guess you could always email the grandson, Tappan Wright King. I'm assuming he's the literary heir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tappan_Wright_King
Old 06-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #432
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I guess you could always email the grandson, Tappan Wright King. I'm assuming he's the literary heir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tappan_Wright_King

Thank you for the info. I'm going to think about that.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #433
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for the info. I'm going to think about that.
I'm not the type of person who is always writing to my favorite authors and such, but you never know. Perhaps contact one of the magazines he use to work for. Some authors have blogs or web pages. Worse thing that can happen is he gives you the cold shoulder.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #434
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once an author dies, interest to read that author's books can peak.
Depends on the author. Really (without using the internet), can you tell me when Jack Chalker died? Or Fred Saberhagen? Or Brian Daley? Or Jack Lovejoy? Sadly, many (most?) mid-tier authors die with very little attention or fanfare.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:32 AM   #435
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Depends on the author. Really (without using the internet), can you tell me when Jack Chalker died? Or Fred Saberhagen? Or Brian Daley? Or Jack Lovejoy? Sadly, many (most?) mid-tier authors die with very little attention or fanfare.
I suspect that's true of most authors. There aren't very many who get a mention on national news when they die. Fandom spreads the news if you are a fan, or perhaps they have an online presence.

For the most part, someone who sells enough books to spark a boost in sales when they die, likely already has most of their books in ebook format. For the most part, the books we are talking about in this thread tend to be semi orphaned works. I suspect that the vast majority of books mentioned in the thread would be in PD under the previous 28 + 28 rule.