Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-15-2023, 09:54 AM   #541
jvscholz
jvscholz began at the beginning.

Device: glowlight 4
Ok, good news. Using "fastboot flash boot nnglow21.img"and "fastboot reboot" I was able to get it into recovery successfully. This time "update-binary 2 1 /data/media/0/update.zip" worked and the device rebooted as expected. I didn't have to create recovery in /cache as it already existed. Upon setting up the device it immediately started updating to 8.1.4.45 and now it appears as if the device is back to oem as it's no longer rooted (assuming it was rooted in the first place, I couldn't check in time). Should I reattempt to root the device? I had assumed that the latest update was already installed and that it would be safe to connect to wifi. thank you
jvscholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 11:44 AM   #542
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvscholz View Post
Ok, good news.
Oh, good.
Wasn't the update.zip that you used already the 45 version that I posted the link?
Why would it update after booting normal system?

In any case, you've seen that they make it almost impossible to get to "recovery".
The stock "recovery" is only "flash factory".

Edit: Certanly you can Magisk.
I just used the boot.img extracted directly out of the 45 update.zip
You can Magisk convert it then either "fastboot flash" or recovery & dd or like I did, just dd it in the rooted UART console.

Last edited by Renate; 04-15-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:28 AM   #543
lovinguoi
lovinguoi began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 4
<font class="papago-parent"><font class="papago-source" style="display:none;">Hi! Always getting a lot of help.</font>안녕하세요! 항상 많은 도움을 받고 있습니다.</font><font class="papago-parent"><font class="papago-source" style="display:none;"> Is there a way to change screensaver?</font>화면 보호기를 변경할 수 있는 방법이 있습니까?</font><font class="papago-parent"><font class="papago-source" style="display:none;"> I really want to change.</font>저는 정말 바꾸고 싶어요.</font>
lovinguoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:35 PM   #544
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinguoi View Post
Is there a way to change screensaver?
The default "sleep" images are in /system/media/SleepImageNook.
The files are called 1.png to 6.png
If you are using Magisk you can write a module to overlay those files.
They are obviously 1072 x 1448 PNG images.

If you don't like Magisk you can flash neoglow21.img (in my sig) to recovery.
Then you can mount system and delete 2.png to 6.png and replace 1.png
Code:
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
cp whatever.png /system/media/SleepImageNook/1.png
reboot

Last edited by Renate; 05-11-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:05 AM   #545
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I wonder when its coming out?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:52 AM   #546
Tialex
Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4e
Is it necessary for update.zip in the rooting procedure to match the exact version of the nook firmware onboard? I assumed this, but in my case I could not update from the listed 8.1.4.43(A) to (hopefully) match the mentioned 8.1.4.45 update. I also tried to predict the url based on the mentioned examples, but both /4.43/ and /4.43A/ variants didn't work.
Thanks
Tialex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:44 PM   #547
Tialex
Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4e
Interestingly trying to work around the inability of my nook to upgrade over the air (see my previous post), discovered that the old way of manual update listed at this page kind of works on glowlight 4. So if I connect the device to the PC and copy update.zip file into to root of the storage drive then after disconnecting and about 50 seconds, Nook unexpectedly restarts and tries to upgrade the system. The only problem in my case was that the 8.1.4.43(A)->8.1.4.45 (downloaded from the link posted several times here and with https proto just in case) doesn't work with an error "Install failed'. It restores to the previous state, but mission was not complete unfortunately...
Tialex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:31 AM   #548
plainbriny
Enthusiast
plainbriny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Nook Glowlight 3
EDIT:
Don't know what I did, may be reformat mmcblk0p1 with mkfs?
After re-flashing neo noogie and misc-rec, and several reboots, it now works and I have successfully updated GL4, it is now back to factory again.
Thank you for the wonderful Neo Noogie.
Please disregard the rest of the reply.
EDIT END
Hi Renate,

I have done something wrong to my GL4 and it is now totally blank. I managed to flash neo noogie and misc rec.
However, when booting into recovery, I did not see the Neo Noogie splash.
I can access adb and when installing update, UDISK is missing.

Code:
E60P54_android:/cache # mount -t t2fs /dev/block/by-name/UDISK /data                                                               
mount: '/dev/block/by-name/UDISK'->'/data': No such device
I can mount cache (mmcblk0p9), but I can not mount data (mmcblk0p1)
Is there any way to create this partition and proceed with the update installation?

Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Ok, can you still get to fastboot? If so, here's how to proceed, carefully.
If something doesn't react as portrayed, stop!

Preparation

Download http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/pi...1/gentoo/3.123

Download nnglow21.img from http://www.temblast.com/neonoogie.htm

Get misc-rec.prc from attachment. Just rename it plain misc-rec

Install rooted recovery

Go to fastboot:

Code:
C:\>fastboot flash recovery nnglow21.img
C:\>fastboot flash misc misc-rec
Long power press to reset, you should see a splash with "Neo Noogie".

Install update

Code:
C:\>adb shell
# mount -t f2fs /dev/block/by-name/UDISK /data
# mount -t ext4 /dev/block/by-name/cache /cache
# ^D
C:\>adb push update.zip /data/media/0
C:\>adb shell
# update-binary 2 1 /data/media/0/update.zip
<lots of printing, should end happily>
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/by-name/misc
dd: /dev/block/by-name/misc: write error: No space left on device <not a problem, correct>
^D is control key + d

Hit the power button (which has "Reboot normally" written under it)
If that doesn't work do a really long power press ~30 seconds.

Last edited by plainbriny; 03-28-2024 at 05:58 AM.
plainbriny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:12 AM   #549
nick84
Enthusiast
nick84 began at the beginning.

Device: KA2, KH2O2, KAOne, Nook4, KMini, PW5, K11, KV
Quote:
return {
[139] = "LPgBack", -- Nook Left Page Back (left lower button)
[140] = "LPgFwd", -- Nook Left Page Forward (left upper button)
[141] = "LPgFwd", -- Nook Right Page Forward (right upper button)
[142] = "LPgBack", -- Nook Right Page Back (right lower button)
}
This method stopped working recently. May be something to do with firmware update. Any ideas how to put the page turn buttons back to work on Koreader? Thanks.
nick84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook