Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-02-2022, 11:58 PM   #31081
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
but I wanted to see why this author felt it necessary to warn the reader that this would be a "harder journey".
But the series is well worth the journey.
I gave up on book 2, but came back to it a year later, pushed though it and then really started to enjoy the journey.

Definitely 1 of my favorite series, but yes its not for everyone.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:35 PM   #31082
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Started Across the Sand by Hugh Howey. I'm surprised there is so little buzz about this. Nothing on his website and nothing in wiki. I didn't know this was coming out until it poped up on Overdrive a couple of weeks ago.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2022, 08:07 PM   #31083
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Huh, I hadn't heard about that either.

I didn't enjoy the first Sand book as much as the Wool/Silo books, but it was pretty good. I'll need to put a hold on it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #31084
mlewis78
Fanatic
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I am reading a new book, Music + Revolution - Greenwich Village in the 1960s by Richard Barone (about folk music scene). I borrowed it from the library in paperback. They don't have it in e-book format yet, and the kindle version is $22.

I heard an interview with the author Richard Barone on Leonard Lopate radio show (WBAI-FM NYC, available as podcast).
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:27 PM   #31085
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Started Across the Sand by Hugh Howey. I'm surprised there is so little buzz about this. Nothing on his website and nothing in wiki. I didn't know this was coming out until it poped up on Overdrive a couple of weeks ago.
Amazon sent me emails on this, since I follow Hugh Howey. Coincidentally, I finally got around to finishing his Silo series (Dust) about two weeks ago. I haven't read Sand yet, but I bought the eBook a while back figuring that I would like it. I guess now that the second book in that series is out, I should make an effort to read the first book that I already have. I read a blurb somewhere that said this is the first book release from Howey in six years. I wonder what happened to him during that time? Obviously I wasn't following him closely. But I did like Wool - by far the best of that series IMHO - and I clicked "follow author" back when I read it.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2022, 09:44 PM   #31086
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I know he bought a sailboat and was sailing around the world for a large bit of the missing 6 years. Not really sure beyond that. He was really vocal for a while but not much in the last few years that's for sure.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:19 AM   #31087
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Didn’t he oversee the SF version of the Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off that started last year?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:25 AM   #31088
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I thought I read on MR that he was working on a word processor.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #31089
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: We'll Meet Again by Anton du Beke. The fourth in his series set (mostly) in the fictitious Buckingham Hotel.
Fun. Fairly light, but enjoyable.

Next up: The Third Claw of God by Adam-Troy Castro
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:43 PM   #31090
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished Somebody Owes Me Money by Donald Westlake. Very enjoyable mystery.

Next: Minute for Murder by Nicholas Blake. A mystery set in WW2
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:36 PM   #31091
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
An excellent SF murder mystery, along with major plot points I should have noticed earlier!

Next up: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:44 PM   #31092
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Next up: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré
Oh, my. I haven't read that in at least 45 years. I'll be curious to see how well you think it holds up.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:58 PM   #31093
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Quote:
An excellent SF murder mystery, along with major plot points I should have noticed earlier!
I wish he'd write more Andrea Cort novels.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:26 AM   #31094
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
On to a Southern gothic title that has been on our DTB shelves since 2017 - Over the Plain Houses by Julia Franks
I finished this up, though I was not incredibly pleased with the back half of the book.

Since then, I have read:

Cullen Bunn's Harrow County Omnibus 1
Martha Wells' Murderbot Diaries 1-3
Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (which I am almost certain was a first time read for me - it was never assigned to me in university).

I'm about to do a re-read via audio of one of my wife's all-time favorite novels in Anthony Marra's A Constellation of Vital Phenomenon. We have a signed copy of this one on our shelves. I've not read Marra in a few years so I am reviewing this one before moving on to his new novel. We also got an autographed copy of that one as well.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 06:06 PM   #31095
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Donna Leon's Troubled Waters (an Inspector Brunetti police procedural)
Stephen King's Later (typical King horror/crime drama - not bad)

Prior to the above,
David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas (the complete history of the building of the Panama Canal - you can "hear" McCullough speaking to you as if you're watching PBS)
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote