Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
tsar2512
tsar2512 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Running Calibre CLI module, SYS arguments?

I am trying to run Calibre's CLI module directly in python. After cloning the source code from git, I tried the following:

python -m calibre.ebooks.conversion.cli abc.epub abc.pdf

It seems like there are sys. variables being setup in init scripts somewhere, are they being loaded from environment variables? If so, what environment variables do I need to set ?

I already have:
echo $CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM
workspace/calibre/src/

The following is the error I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 151, in _run_module_as_main
mod_name, loader, code, fname = _get_module_details(mod_name)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 101, in _get_module_details
loader = get_loader(mod_name)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/pkgutil.py", line 464, in get_loader
return find_loader(fullname)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/pkgutil.py", line 474, in find_loader
for importer in iter_importers(fullname):
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/pkgutil.py", line 430, in iter_importers
__import__(pkg)
File "calibre/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
from calibre.startup import winutil, winutilerror
File "calibre/startup.py", line 85, in <module>
import calibre.utils.resources as resources
File "calibre/utils/resources.py", line 67, in <module>
_resolver = PathResolver()
File "calibre/utils/resources.py", line 18, in __init__
self.locations = [sys.resources_location]
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'resources_location'
calibre/ptempfile.py:29: RuntimeWarning: Parent module 'calibre' not found while handling absolute import
import shutil
tsar2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
tsar2512

As additional information. I run the command from calibre's src directory. After creating a __init__.py in the calibre/src/ directory.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You dont run calibre in python, you run python in calibre, see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/dev...all-of-calibre
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
tsar2512

I understand that I can hack calibre by modifying and adding my own python code there.

However, in my use-case, I would like to use calibre's ebook-conversion tool using python.

Since most of it looks like python code. I would assume that I should be able to run it through the python interpreter? However, I am having difficulties with the resource_locations attribute, which I cannot find exactly where it's being defined in the __init__.py file.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to install calibre from source for that, and see the next section in the link I posted earlier
Old 02-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar2512 View Post
I understand that I can hack calibre by modifying and adding my own python code there.
And you are not hacking calibre in the scenario I posted, you are running your python script using the python interpreter bundled with calibre.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
tsar2512

understood!