Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #31
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh, it flashes, but from what I gather (never seen one in person ;p), it's supposed to do some subtle frontlight modulation to alleviate the "burn your retinas off" brightness issue during the white flash.

(And, yeah, that's technically software, but it's baked into the fl & eink kernel drivers on Zelda. And that's different on Rex, which is why I was curious about what happens with the PW4 in practice).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-11-2020 at 10:32 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:57 PM   #32
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Oh, it flashes, but from what I gather (never seen one in person ;p), it's supposed to do some subtle frontlight modulation to alleviate the "burn your retinas off" brightness issue during the white flash.

(And, yeah, that's technically software, but it's baked into the fl & eink kernel drivers on Zelda. And that's different on Rex, which is why I was curious about what happens with the PW4 in practice).
Do you have any evidence of those flashes that the light indeed gets turned off or dimmed? I vaguely remember saying something akin of Amazon should implement turning off the front light during full refresh to make the experience better. And then a short while after someone else confirms that it is actually happening.

I mean, not to brag, it is a good idea, but it was only a thing that happened in my head. When that other person (not sure who mentioned it first) states that Amazon actually does that, I thought, wow cool, Amazon had someone else to have that idea.

Edit: never mind. Tried it out and it does look really stupid and funky. It appears to dim while full refreshing. Dim, not turning off. When it is done, for the shortest split second the page looks good, and then the damn light turns brighter to ruin the background from a darker grey to a light grey. Most likely that was one of the reasons I don't bother with inverse.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 04-12-2020 at 12:16 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #33
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(never seen one in person ;p), it's supposed to ...

...which is why I was curious about what happens with the PW4 in practice).
Can't describe if it really modulates in a funky way, or else, but meet my PW4 virtually here (light intensity was set at 15):
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20200412_072241.mp4.zip (2.01 MB, 76 views)
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@DuckieTigger: Yup, that's the behavior I was expecting given the kernel sources (i.e., ramp down during flash, then ramp back up).

@PoP: Hard to tell, cameras already have a hard-time dealing with brightness/contrast changes during flashes .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote