Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
Cajun
Love to Read
Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Calibre Ebook Viewer Wishlist

First, I like Calibre, I've been using it for years and have donated to it's development. Several times each month Calibre gets updated and I appreciate the time spent on the updates. However, I would like to see features added to the EBook Viewer.

Before anyone says anything I do use a desktop regularly to read (eBooks), study and make notes for lectures.

There are a couple of very useful features I would like to see added to the Ebook Viewer. The Kindle Desktop App has these and they are very helpful and used regularly.

Calibre E-book Viewer Wish List

From Kindle Desktop App reader:

1. When I copy information from the Kindle Desktop App it provides the information below. This is great for referring back to where the information originated and for notes when teaching, writing, studying, etc. Also, if someone wanted to read a certain passage again.

Cowden, Tami D.; LaFever, Carolyn; Viders, Sue (2013-12-16). The Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes (Kindle Locations 1248-1253). Archetype Press. Kindle Edition.

2. The ability to see the items I highlighted in a notebook. This is great for a number of reasons: reference, studying, teaching, etc. The notebook area is not resizeable which would be a great feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreEbookViewerWishlist1.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	145008   Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreEbookViewerWishlist.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	145009  
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Cajun
Love to Read
Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cajun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

eBook Viewer Update

@Kovid Goyal Thank you for the eBook Viewer update!

12/29/2015
Calibre Ebook Viewer Wishlist
First, I like Calibre, I've been using it for years and have donated to it's development. Several times each month Calibre gets updated and I appreciate the time spent on the updates. However, I would like to see features added to the EBook Viewer.

Before anyone says anything I do use a desktop regularly to read (eBooks), study and make notes for lectures.

There are a couple of very useful features I would like to see added to the Ebook Viewer. The Kindle Desktop App has these and they are very helpful and used regularly.

Calibre E-book Viewer Wish List

From Kindle Desktop App reader:

1. When I copy information from the Kindle Desktop App it provides the information below. This is great for referring back to where the information originated and for notes when teaching, writing, studying, etc. Also, if someone wanted to read a certain passage again.

Cowden, Tami D.; LaFever, Carolyn; Viders, Sue (2013-12-16). The Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes (Kindle Locations 1248-1253). Archetype Press. Kindle Edition.

2. The ability to see the items I highlighted in a notebook. This is great for a number of reasons: reference, studying, teaching, etc. The notebook area is not resizeable which would be a great feature.
Advert
Old 04-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The e-book viewer is now in maintenance mode, it wont be getting any major new features. It is going to be replaced by a common code base that will be used both for the viewer and for the in browser book reader in the future.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Cajun
Love to Read

Thank you...
Old 05-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #5
sdspieg
Connoisseur
sdspieg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
Kovid, a question on this. It keeps bothering me that all bibliographic 'standards' still recommend NOT using ebook locations in citation. Their argument is that those locations are device-specific and so are worthless. But as far as I understand, your ebook viewer's 'location' is NOT device-specific, right? In that case, would it be possible, in this new in-browser book reader to make it so that one could create footnotes in documents (for instance through bibliographical software programs like Zotero - and I have just made an analogous recommendation in their forum too) that would contain a hyperlink to the precise location in any e-publication? So right now, if a citation contains a reference to a publication's page number, one has to 'manually' find the book or article, then find the page and then find the cited passage on that page. But with this solution - especially if players like Google Books or Scholar would be able and willing to implement the links to the sources - we could just click through to the actual passage with one click. Any thoughts?
sdspieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both the old viewer and the new one support the epub CFI standard which allows linking to arbitrary locations inside documents.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Now we just need enough other applications to implement the standard that citations can actually use them.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
cfi is also one of the things that the idpf is thinking about removing for epub 3.1 for exactly that reason (not many implement it, no user can understand it so they can't easily be generated by hand, etc) and because of dom vs shadow dom creation issues between xhtml and html. That last argument is moot since allowing html instead of xhtml has been dropped for epub 3.1.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As I understand it, they are only removing CFI for hyperlinks not for storage of location information by reading systems. See https://github.com/IDPF/epub-revision/issues/662

Tags
ebook viewer, features, wishlist