Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #76
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Good Wives - Louisa May Alcott

BBC Radio 4 Extra is presenting a dramatized version of Good Wives (vol 2 of Little Women) in six 30 minutes episodes. It started two days ago with new episodes playing each Sunday.

You have seven days from first broadcast to listen to them before they're removed, so it's not too late to begin the series. Episode two airs next Sunday.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #77
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

4 Radio Dramas from NPR Playhouse

Here are four professionally dramatized works produced by the Globe Radio Repertory for NPR Playhouse during the mid 80s to early 90s. Each work was a multi-part series in half-hour episodes.

These works are free and available in multiple formats (VBR MP3, Ogg Vorbis, MP3) for download or they can be streamed directly from Internet Archive.

Internet Archive download links

Quote:
The Globe Radio Repertory was founded in Seattle in 1982 to bring the classics of world literature to a new and wider audience. Radio was chosen as medium because it communicates best the essential qualities of classical literature; namely, strong plots and vivid characters fashioned out of a use of language whose roots lie in oral tradition.

The Globe produced four major series over the next decade, beginning with Don Quixote, and subsequently, Dead Souls, Madame Bovary, and last, 16 Stories by Anton Chekhov. Each dramatization was adapted by writer John Siscoe in collaboration with writer/director Jean Sherrard. Their scholarly advisors ranged from Roger Shattuck to Donald Fanger to Francis Steegmuller (the brilliant translator of a monumental Madame Bovary). The show aired on NPR Playhouse and in English speaking nations around the world.
Don Quixote de la Mancha (1605) -- a 13-part radio theatre adaptation of the Miguel de Cervantes classic. Produced by Globe Radio Repertory, it played to great acclaim on NPR Playhouse in the mid-80s.

Dead Souls (1842) -- a 9-part dramatization of Nikolai Gogol's masterpiece. Produced by Globe Radio Repertory for NPR Playhouse in the late 1980s, the series received wide acclaim.

Madame Bovary (1856) -- a 13-part adaptation of Gustave Flaubert's masterpiece. This Globe Radio Repertory production aired on NPR Playhouse in the late 80s, and subsequently in English-speaking countries around the world.

16 Stories by Anton Chekhov (1884~1903) -- a 13-part dramatic series based on sixteen stories drawn from Anton Chekhov's vast body of work. The stories range from early sketches published when he was still a medical student to the masterpieces he wrote in the last decade of his life. The stories are arranged in chronological order and trace Chekhov's development as an artist and as a human being. This series aired nationwide on NPR Playhouse in the early 90s.
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #78
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
My grandma is still fond of Radio dramas
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
Grannies are wise
Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #80
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
I'm still fond of radio dramas. Of course, I'm a grandpa.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #81
jptreader
jptreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
If there are any rabid EG Marshall fans around I could upload some original contracts he signed earlier in his career. I also bought and scanned some original press releases for CBSRMT shows. I'm such a OTR/NTR dork.
Fratermus -- I'm a big fan of CBSRMT and would love to see the scans of the press releases. Do you still have them? I'd appreciate it greatly if you could make them available. THANKS.
jptreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #82
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
This is the first time I've seen this thread. I'm very much a fan of OTR. I'm 75 so to me it's not that old time. I grew up listening to radio in the days before TV. I was 14 when we got our first TV, the first in our neighborhood, and up till then everything was on radio. Even after that we all listened to radio more than watch TV for a few years. There were just more good things on radio in the early days of TV.

I also had an early tape recorder when I was a kid so I managed to record some of those shows and I listened to them for years, finally wearing out the tapes. About that time I managed to find a few shows on cassette and listen to them. Then later on MP3. So really I've never stopped listening to them. I still probably listen to 4 or 5 OTR shows a week, most weeks. Sometimes a lot more.

These days my favorites are Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Night Beat, Damon Runyon and a lot of the anthology shows. I listen to a lot of others as well but these are my staples. Oh wait. I almost left out Halls of Ivy. I never heard of that one till recent years and I just don't understand why!

This is fun stuff to talk about.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #83
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Serious thread necromancy.
I like old radio shows, primarily mystery and crime shows.
I keep both Shadow pulp novels and Shadow radio shows on my Aztak
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #84
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I like anything by Orson Welles, Radio Programs, from" War of the World's" to the suspense drama " Hitchhiker " which was broadcast in 1942, at the end of the program he asked people to loan Uncle Sam, 10 cents per dollar earned to buy war bonds. To help win the war. It would be repaid with interest after the war was won. You can get a real sense of history listening to the shows & the public announcements after each show during the war years.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:04 AM   #85
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Since this thread has been revived, I will add more...

It's unfortunate The CBS Radio Mystery Theater episodes haven't been released in a podcast or as a download with the episodes with a good audio quality. Years ago I found some of the episodes on a podcast but they were encoded at 8kbps and thus had extremely poor sound quality that made they almost unlistenable. However, it is possible that legal issues may be preventing the release of the episodes. I hope they will eventually be released because the series was excellent and is worth hearing again.

I've come across The Twilight Zone Radio Dramas. They are audio dramas of classic Twilight Zone episodes. Each episode features at least one known performer (such as "The Obsolete Man" with Jason Alexander, "To Serve Man" with Blair Underwood and "The Dummy" with Bruno Kirby), and the episodes are between 35 and 45 minutes long. While the episodes cover everything in the original TV episodes, they also include scenes that add to the original story.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:33 AM   #86
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that this thread has been resurrected from the dead, let me add again, for the sake of any new readers, that radio drama is alive and well, and available to listeners world-wide, on BBC Radio. There's a BBC Radio station, BBC Radio 4 Extra, which is dedicated to repeats of programmes from the BBC Radio archives, 24h a day. All available via the BBC iPlayer site (click the "Radio" link at the top of the page).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #87
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

There are a couple of threads in the Audiobook Discussions forum dealing with this subject:
Old 11-11-2015, 05:47 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Monkey. Always worth repeating these useful links.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that this thread has been resurrected from the dead, let me add again, for the sake of any new readers, that radio drama is alive and well, and available to listeners world-wide, on BBC Radio. There's a BBC Radio station, BBC Radio 4 Extra, which is dedicated to repeats of programmes from the BBC Radio archives, 24h a day. All available via the BBC iPlayer site (click the "Radio" link at the top of the page).
BBC Radio 4e is one of my all-time favorite radio stations and I love the ease of access using my Amazon Echo:

Me: Alexa, play BBC Radio 4 Extra
Alexa: BBC Radio 4 Extra on TuneIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks, Monkey. Always worth repeating these useful links.
YW
Old 11-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #90
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Be sure to check out 20th Century Radio. It plays 24/7 and has a nice mix of OTR's. Here's the program schedule. You can listen on your computer or with apps such as TuneIn Radio and Shoutcast.

Quote:
Old time radio shows. The great OTR classics are back on the air! We broadcast superb radio mystery, adventure, suspense, comedy, old west drama, variety shows, etc. You'll find the best of the best streaming old time radio shows on 20th Century Radio!
A two year bumpity bump bump

Tags
audiobook, hobbit, lotr, radio dramas, tolkien