Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #26131
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just finished reading Hunter by Mercedes Lackey, the first in a new series/world. Rather better than several of her recent books, which I've found more than a little annoying and 'rushed'. This is a post-apocalyptic, parallel-world, creatures coming through, fantasy, with a youngish female protagonist whose powers keep getting better. (Hmmm, haven't we seen this before from her?) IAC, so far I've enjoyed the first one, going on to the second one.
And finished Elite, the second in this new series. Still enjoying it, but I don't mind waiting for the third, which is due soonish but not immediately.

Meanwhile, enough of this sort of thing, and back to reading mysteries. Currently reading a Margery Allingham Campion mystery -- The Beckoning Lady, gotten as a Kindle Unlimited ages ago, but not read yet. And since I'm going to drop KU, I figured I should read all the ones I have. And, I must say, a delightful read.

Also reading, via Audible, P.D. James' An Unsuitable Job for a Woman, narrated by Katie Scarfe. (This is also available from Audible in the US, but with a different narrator, so I went with the UK version. ) A delightful re-read. I had read this back in the 70's, but had forgotten nearly everything, so it's really a completely new book to me.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #26132
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Next up: more rollicking adventure with Neal Stephenson's and Nicole Galland's The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.
There were many fun moments in this epistolary, alt-history, time-traveling tale. Unfortunately, its hectic nature (multi-narrators telling the story through brief memos, emails and transcripts) didn't allow me to love it. It got off to great start, stumbled through the middle and then ended a bit abruptly (though it seems possible to me that this book could be setting the stage for further tales).

I've read epistolary novels before that I've really enjoyed, so I know it's not the format itself that caused me trouble. Stephenson's works usually resonate quite strongly with me, so I was a bit disappointed in that regard.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #26133
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Just finished Command Decision by Elizabeth Moon. Liked it a lot. Also found out that Ms. Moon was once (and always) a Marine.

I've begun Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky. One of the shortest titles for a non-fic I've seen in quite a while.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #26134
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
<snip> reading We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves on the KA1.
Finished this last night. Still not sure what I think of it. Started off really strong, but somewhat lost the plot for me about 2/3 of the way through.

Moving on to Lindsey Davis' The Silver Pigs - the first in her 20ish mystery novels set in ancient Rome.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #26135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm currently reading Pale Kings and Princes by Robert B. Parker. It's the 14th book in the Spenser series. So far, it's quite good.

Quote:
When a young journalist researching the cocaine trade in a small Massachusetts town is found murdered, private detective Spenser is called in to find out who is responsible. Wheaton isn't just any small town though - Spenser soon discovers it's one of the biggest cocaine distribution centres in the Northeast. But the local drugs cartel are not the only suspects—did the journalist get too close to the truth, or too close to the wife of a very jealous man?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #26136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Which was the usual fun with Sharpe. A nice afterword.
Are these recent downloads or older downloads? I read the first Sharpe eBook some time ago and it was full of errors. I think more recent versions have some/most of the errors fixed.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #26137
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are these recent downloads or older downloads? I read the first Sharpe eBook some time ago and it was full of errors. I think more recent versions have some/most of the errors fixed.
I bought them in December 2013, but I'm reading newly downloaded copies. I didn't notice lots of errors.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-22-2017 at 07:21 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #26138
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders. Looking good so far.
And it was good. A weird mixture of super science and magic. 4/5. Would have been 5/5 except that I felt the ending was a bit weak and rushed.

Next up: The Day After Never by Nathan Van Coops. The third in his time travel series.

It's an odd series for me, in that I don't really like the protagonist. But the ideas are interesting.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #26139
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
And it was good. A weird mixture of super science and magic. 4/5. Would have been 5/5 except that I felt the ending was a bit weak and rushed.

<snip>
That's interesting. I read it last year and I think it scrounged 2.5-3 stars from me. I'm not sure what rubbed me the wrong way, but it just didn't agree with me. I remember commenting to my wife that I thought it felt a little YA-ey, which is not a knock on it, but definitely means it was not for me.

I do agree about the end. I think it suffered pacing problems. There was a lot of time in the middle of the book that could have more constructively gotten us to that rushed ending.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #26140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I bought them in December 2013, but I'm reading newly downloaded copies. I din't notice lots of errors.
Thanks. I don't want to continue reading the Sharpe series if they are still full of errors.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #26141
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
And finished Elite, the second in this new series. Still enjoying it, but I don't mind waiting for the third, which is due soonish but not immediately.

Meanwhile, enough of this sort of thing, and back to reading mysteries. Currently reading a Margery Allingham Campion mystery -- The Beckoning Lady, gotten as a Kindle Unlimited ages ago, but not read yet. And since I'm going to drop KU, I figured I should read all the ones I have. And, I must say, a delightful read.

Also reading, via Audible, P.D. James' An Unsuitable Job for a Woman, narrated by Katie Scarfe. (This is also available from Audible in the US, but with a different narrator, so I went with the UK version. ) A delightful re-read. I had read this back in the 70's, but had forgotten nearly everything, so it's really a completely new book to me.
Still reading the Campion, and enjoying it quite a bit. Very droll. Very British. And I love the characters.

Finished An Unsuitable Job for a Woman. I quite enjoyed this audio book, so I'm moving on immediately to the second and last in the series, The Skull Beneath the Skin.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #26142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've finished Pale Kings and Princes by Robert B. Parker and I did enjoy it.

Now onto Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Shield of the Gods By Christopher L. Bennett

Click image for larger version

Name:	department-of-temporal-investigations-shield-of-the-gods-9781501164880_hr.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	157946
Quote:
The stalwart agents of the Department of Temporal Investigations have tracked down many dangerous artifacts, but now they face a greater, more personal challenge: retrieving a time-travel device stolen from their own vault by a rogue agent of the Aegis, a powerful, secretive group that uses its mastery of time to prevent young civilizations from destroying themselves. Blaming the Aegis itself for a tragedy yet to come, this renegade plans to use the stolen artifact to sabotage its efforts in the past, no matter what the cost to the timeline. Now the DTI’s agents must convince the enigmatic Aegis to work alongside them in order to protect history—but they must also wrestle with the potential consequences of their actions, for preserving the past could doom countless lives in the future!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #26143
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm not sure how it happened, but I am re-reading in tandem the Gervase Fen mystery novels by Edmund Crispin and the Philip Marlowe mystery novels by Raymond Chandler. Both authors were brilliant wordsmiths and stylists, in each their own distinctive fashion. And both were enamored of convoluted plots populated by memorably eccentric characters.

I began this reading adventure after completing a re-read of the Hilary Tamar mystery novels by Sarah Caudwell.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:07 AM   #26144
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
That's interesting. I read it last year and I think it scrounged 2.5-3 stars from me.
Sometimes that can happen. There are stories in the SF magazines that I hate because of the writing style or topic, but I know that they must have some merit or the editor wouldn't have selected them, even if they're not for me.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #26145
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Still reading the Campion, and enjoying it quite a bit. Very droll. Very British. And I love the characters.

Finished An Unsuitable Job for a Woman. I quite enjoyed this audio book, so I'm moving on immediately to the second and last in the series, The Skull Beneath the Skin.
I loved the first Cordelia Gray mystery, having given it 4 stars. But the sequel eked only 2 stars from me.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote