Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 01:57 AM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Book Reviewer Programs--Get FREE Ebooks, Charts, Etc. for Your Opinions.

I start this thread with some trepidation. I have never seen anything about this topic in this subforum. I'm sure, though, that someone will let me know if they don't want it here.

As the title of the thread says, it's about getting free ebooks by being a reviewer. Even if you've never seen any information about becoming one, you're certainly familiar with the concept if you've ever read at least a few reviews at, say, Amazon.com. The reviewer will say something at the end (I understand that it's required by law) to the effect of, "I received an advance copy of this book free in exchange for my honest opinion," or something like that.

In this post, I'm going to mention Rose Publishing's reviewer program. It looks like everything that you need to know about it is here, on this webpage. One nice aspect of their program (which may be true of lots of companies' reviewer programs, I don't know), is that if you don't want to sign up for the Rose Reviewer Program, but still want to review a particular product and get it free, you can email Rose and they will consider letting you review that one product.

Exchange a little bit of your time, to save a little bit of your money. Like my former-step-first-cousin-by-marriage says, "money is time, and time is money."

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-16-2018 at 02:06 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:27 AM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I don't know anything about Rose Publishing, but a lot of publishers, including the big 5 (or 6 or however many are left from their mergers) and some indies, often use netgalley.com to give away books to reviewers. I think they are often electronic advanced reader copies, and I think the netgalley review copies can either be Kindle or epub, although I think I've only downloaded epub from them.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 04:14 AM   #3
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I don't know anything about Rose Publishing, but a lot of publishers, including the big 5 (or 6 or however many are left from their mergers) and some indies, often use netgalley.com to give away books to reviewers. I think they are often electronic advanced reader copies, and I think the netgalley review copies can either be Kindle or epub, although I think I've only downloaded epub from them.
Indeed. One can also solicit advance copies, in exchange for reviews, at sites such as Goodreads and LibraryThing.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Indeed. One can also solicit advance copies, in exchange for reviews, at sites such as Goodreads and LibraryThing.
Rose publishes to those who identify themselves as Christians.

Thanks to both of you for the information about the aggregators (I don't know what the correct term is) of publishers with advance copy programs. That is exactly the kind of information that I was hoping to draw out of fellow MobileReaders, for the benefit of other MobileReaders, when I started the thread. I just didn't expect so much of it--so soon, anyway! It seems like most threads that I start tend to languish (I can't foresee any thread that I ever start becoming a "sticky") . . . .

Of course, I've read reviews on Amazon, and other sites, and read the disclosures by the reviewers that they got the books free in exchange for their honest opinions, etc., etc. But, until now I've haven't paid any attention to the names of the suppliers--whether the publishers themselves or aggregators--of the books--I wasn't interested in the programs (takes too much time and effort, for too little return, in my way of thinking. Now if I was flat broke and had all of the time in the world, that might be different matter). Now, if it was an expensive book, well . . . .

I wouldn't be surprised if the two of you almost have exhausted the names of aggregators. What I hope will keep the thread active for a while are posts about individual publishers with those programs.

An observation. I'm interested in seeing what the rest of you know and think about the following. It seems to me that the people who get the free books, ironically, tend to be more critical of the books that they're reviewing, than those who have to pay for the books. It may be my imagination. But if I'm right, it seems that the programs may be counterproductive to the publishers' apparent reason for being in the programs--more sales (=more profits). But, shhhh! Don't say a word about this to any of the publishers!
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote