Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question Fire hdx, still shrink wrapped, battery condition ?

I am looking for a fire hdx, which amazon no longer make.
Let's not get into why that specific model, here is my actual question.:

There is one on ebay, seller says still shrink wrapped, never opened.

Well assuming a 2014 manufacture, and not fretting about the amount of system updates it could need to make it work, my main worry is battery. I know that Li on should not be stored with no charge, and I assume anything shrink wrapped for 4 years will have completely drained long ago ?
So how much longterm battery damage, loss of battery life should I assume when bidding. I can't ask the seller to unwrap and charge it, we'll it could but I doubt hed say yes....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:13 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

update: when I queried this with the seller he said he'd sold " hundreds like this" with no complaints
which is good news re the battery but a worry re how legit the tablets are.

how could he legitimately have hundreds of shrink wrapped amazon tablets?

he only has one for sale as at now, & maybe amazon do " yard sales" of bulk obsolete stock but it's more likely they fell off the back of a very large lorry ?

i may just wait for another offer from a different seller to come along
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don’t remember any of the various Kindles, Fire tablets, Fire TV or Echo devices I have purchased being shrink wrapped. There are usually sleeves around the box and seals to keep the box from slipping out of the sleeve, but not shrink wrap. If the seals are intact it means the thing is probably ‘new’.

Perhaps someone else who has purchased more recently than I have can confirm.

In any case shrink wrap is not synonymous with ‘never been opened’. Anyone can shrink wrap a box with inexpensive shrink wrap materials and a hair dryer.

I understand the appeal of HDX (the display) but it has not gotten software updates for years. I have a 2017 HD7 and it is just fine, has SD expansion, and performs much better than any Fire tablet I had previously. Now it only costs $80 (I paid more like $120).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard

good point about shrink wrap vs new i had not thought that through.

i own both a 2017 HD10 and a 4th Gen HDX 9.8 - both run OS5 and both take sideloads of google play etc. so you are not correct about software updates. the 4th gen HDX will self update to OS5.

In a direct comparison , the old HDX has a much superior screen and better speakers.
The difference in audio quality is noticeable if you stream the same show/ movie to both. The HD10 sound is much more tinny and seems artificially boosted fro clear dialogue, esp with amazon media

There is no official 1080p netflix support but with a hard-to-locate sideloaded netflix HD apk, both do netflix at 1080p ( the official amazon store netflix only does 720p on the HD 10 and SD on the HDX).
both tablets have the necessary widewine L1 hardware for netflix DRM, it is just that netflix have not whitelisted those models for 1080p streaming so you need a hacked app to bypass the whitelist check.

the attraction for me is that no non-amazon hardware ( except Ipad ) does Amazon video in HD, all the android makes get SD only.

there is another glitch with the HD 10 , either because of firmware design, or because it has a much weaker CPU, any incoming email notification will interfere with (i.e. pause ) amazon video playback for a couple of seconds and I can find no way to stop that happening. that does nto happen with the HDX

One downside is no SD card support for HDX so the only way to get more storage is to source a 32Gb or 64Gb one from ebay or some such. My 16Gb HDX is still good and still has extended warranty but the lack of storage makes it unsuited for downloading video from Amazon/netflix to watch offline.

i think that ebay offer is overpriced, when I check completed sales, the HDX8.9 sells for between £100 and £125, so I will wait for a better deal to come along. mine was a refurbished one directly from amazon bought a couple of years ago when it was on sale and bought with 3 year cover. the limitation is that it is only 16GB
Old 06-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I ordered this a Year ago Battery is still going strong!

Order placed

May 23, 2017

Total

$119.01

Ship to

Order Details Invoice
Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd)

Sold by: iQThrifty

$109.98
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Tablet-H...words=Fire+HDX

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...age_capacity=1

Last edited by Barbara1955; 06-21-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard

To be fair, we have owned many amazon devices and never had a dud battery. Even the 2012 kindle fire still used for grandchild is still OK. But those are all/were all in regular use.
What I read was that storing a device for a very long time with a flat li-on battery is bad for batteries. They should be stored partly charged and tppped up every few months for best battery life. So a 2014 device, never opened for 4 years, could have a battery problem
Old 06-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

there is another glitch with the HD 10 , either because of firmware design, or because it has a much weaker CPU, any incoming email notification will interfere with (i.e. pause ) amazon video playback for a couple of seconds and I can find no way to stop that happening. that does nto happen with the HDX

On the New 10 You can Turn OFF Notifications....
Old 06-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
To be fair, we have owned many amazon devices and never had a dud battery. Even the 2012 kindle fire still used for grandchild is still OK. But those are all/were all in regular use.
What I read was that storing a device for a very long time with a flat li-on battery is bad for batteries. They should be stored partly charged and tppped up every few months for best battery life. So a 2014 device, never opened for 4 years, could have a battery problem
The Fire was Received in a Amazon Box that was Never Opened Was on some ones shelf until I got it Last year. It was 5 years old...
Old 06-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Thanks but that is a 16gb like the one I already have. I am looking for 32 or 64, and looking at amazon uk. Even so, that is encouraging, and my browser , showing it at amazom.com says it can be shipped to uk. But customs import duties would be a killer at 20% or more

I am sure a deal will come along if I wait. The ebay completed sales search is a useful guide to availability. My other favoured shortlisted media watching tablet is the lenovo yoga 3 pro 10.1, for battery life, audio quality, and full hd netflix. No hd amazon video on that though
Old 06-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post

On the New 10 You can Turn OFF Notifications....
True but I like to know that I have mail without having to manually turn that back on whenever I stop streaming .
I just don't like it pausing the video, and I don't think the hdx pauses like that. That has a quad processor and multitasks better.
It would be nice to have an option in amazon video that you could tick for "do not disturb until the movie has finished"
But I cannot find any such option. The movie does mask the notification banner, but it glitches., pauses while it does that so briefly the skip controls overlay appears and the playback stops for a couple,of seconds, just long enough to panic you into thinking your wifi is down.

I am not sure if it happens with netflix, and it does not happen with plex, just with amazon video.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Thanks but that is a 16gb like the one I already have. I am looking for 32 or 64, and looking at amazon uk. Even so, that is encouraging, and my browser , showing it at amazom.com says it can be shipped to uk. But customs import duties would be a killer at 20% or more

I am sure a deal will come along if I wait. The ebay completed sales search is a useful guide to availability. My other favoured shortlisted media watching tablet is the lenovo yoga 3 pro 10.1, for battery life, audio quality, and full hd netflix. No hd amazon video on that though
Second Link is 32 gig
Old 06-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yeah one does not get good sound from HD8. But I don’t watch video or listen to music etc on mine, mostly just for reading.

You did not say which HDX you were considering. The 3rd gen HDXs do not get updates.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...age_capacity=2

64 Gig with defects so READ description Before you buy!
Old 06-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yeah one does not get good sound from HD8. But I don’t watch video or listen to music etc on mine, mostly just for reading.

You did not say which HDX you were considering. The 3rd gen HDXs do not get updates.
My 2nd Gen got 2 updates when I 1st took it out of the box... depends. Also Older models you can Side load updates.