Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #61
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
heh, i don't like flowers *that* much...
That's just as well, my wife probably wouldn't appreciate me sending them to another woman. Especially a French one!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #62
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
That creepy guy in your avatar looks like he might like tossing together a spider salad for lunch.
well, Pirandello is probably the only person who could do that and not lose my respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
That's just as well, my wife probably wouldn't appreciate me sending them to another woman. Especially a French one!
oh now, i didn't say i didn't like them at *all*...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #63
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OK, I'll google Pirandello...
Learning is Fun!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #64
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
OK, I'll google Pirandello...
Learning is Fun!
that's the spirit !
Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #65
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
...my exoskeletal aversions mainly concern arachnids (terrestrial and marine).
...and crustaceans.

Quote:
i *like* butterflies, moths, and scarabs. particularly when portrayed in meticulously detailed ink drawings...
Excellent. Beetles, moths and butterflies I can do too. You must look up "Giant Burrowing Cockroach". They're kept as pets, though we see them often enough round the house and on walks that keeping one would seem a little redundant.

Somewhere around here I've also a detailed flatbed scan of a largish butterfly. I'll have to upload it for you.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #66
zelda_pinwheel

i draw the line at cockroaches. sorry.

(and crustaceans, right. it seems so self-evident to me that it didn't occur to me to mention it.)
Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #67
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i draw the line at cockroaches. sorry.
I know this is difficult, after last time (Well, how was I to know you wouldn't like a large box of live spiders delivered to your door by InterArachnid?), but...trust me. If you like scarabs, you will be fine with "Giant Burrowing Cockroach", as the "cockroach" part gives the wrong impression (a bit like calling a Sugarglider" a "Flying Tree Rat"). They are the weightiest cockroach, and look more like a "beetle" than a "cockroach". They're about as long as across the palm of your hand, and heavy, and they only eat dead vegetable matter (mostly dried and rotting gum leaves I believe). Sort of like insectile cows.

Quote:
(and crustaceans, right. it seems so self-evident to me that it didn't occur to me to mention it.)
You're missing out on some beautiful animals. (Speaking of Dune) how do you feel about sandworms (that is, beach worms). I got a couple of pictures on the weekend of the heads of a couple poking out of the sand between waves, and they have some lovely coloured "eyes".

Cheers,
Marc
Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #68
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I know this is difficult, after last time (Well, how was I to know you wouldn't like a large box of live spiders delivered to your door by InterArachnid?), but...trust me. If you like scarabs, you will be fine with "Giant Burrowing Cockroach", as the "cockroach" part gives the wrong impression (a bit like calling a Sugarglider" a "Flying Tree Rat"). They are the weightiest cockroach, and look more like a "beetle" than a "cockroach". They're about as long as across the palm of your hand, and heavy, and they only eat dead vegetable matter (mostly dried and rotting gum leaves I believe). Sort of like insectile cows.
i'm pretty sure that if it's called a cockroach, the answer is a resounding no, all the more so if they're the size of the palm of your hand (even if they were only the size of the palm of *my* hand, in fact), and regardless of what they eat.

oh, and i have no idea what a "sugarglider" is but if you mean flying squirrel, then you should really be ashamed of yourself for sullying the good name of squirrels by associating them with cockroaches.

Quote:
You're missing out on some beautiful animals.
crustaceans : alive, and in their natural habitat, they don't bother me so much. i like looking at crabs. sometimes. (oh, i know you don't speak fluent french (although for someone who claims that you seem to do all right, with that fish in your ear) but i can't think of crabs without thinking of this brilliant short animation : la Révolution des crabes you should watch it just for the images, in fact).
EDIT : the sound seems to be mysteriously missing, in the first link... surprising, since it's the official site... here's another version, if it doesn't work for you either : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20...rabes_creation

Quote:
(Speaking of Dune) how do you feel about sandworms (that is, beach worms). I got a couple of pictures on the weekend of the heads of a couple poking out of the sand between waves, and they have some lovely coloured "eyes".
please tell me you're joking. a shiver ran down my spine just reading that sentence.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-28-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #69
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
i'm pretty sure that if it's called a cockroach, the answer is a resounding no, all the more so if they're the size of the palm of your hand (even if they were only the size of the palm of *my* hand, in fact), and regardless of what they eat.
Hey, I said "trust me". When have I ever shown myself to be untrustworthy (you know..except for those other times).

If a scarab or rhinoceros beetle is the proud, horned bull, then the Giant Burrowing Cockroach is the simple grazing cow.

Quote:
oh, and i have no idea what a "sugarglider" is but if you mean flying squirrel, then you should really be ashamed of yourself for sullying the good name of squirrels by associating them with cockroaches.
Australian...marsupial...very cute...that flies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Glider

They're so cute they make "flying squirrels" look like tiny warthogs-with-wings.

Quote:
crustaceans : alive, and in their natural habitat, they don't bother me so much. i like looking at crabs. sometimes.
In one of my recent travels in blogland there was a picture of a hermit crab curled into a manufactured, glass or crystal shell. It was quite beautiful, and I can go look for it if you wish?

Quote:
(oh, i know you don't speak fluent french (although for someone who claims that you seem to do all right, with that fish in your ear)
He's a good fish, and certainly helps with the written word. I speak fluent Clouseau, but, alas, I have discovered that it is not a real language.

Quote:
but i can't think of crabs without thinking of this brilliant short animation : la Révolution des crabes you should watch it just for the images, in fact).
EDIT : the sound seems to be mysteriously missing, in the first link... surprising, since it's the official site... here's another version, if it doesn't work for you either : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20...rabes_creation
I enjoy animation, and this is brilliant (even with me not understanding a word).

Quote:
please tell me you're joking. a shiver ran down my spine just reading that sentence.
They're only small (well, they're about 2 to 3 metres long, but you only see their heads unless you can manage to catch the little buggers for bait - they're quick to retreat and the slightest sign of danger). They live in the wave zone of the beach, and poke their heads out as the water starts to drain away from a wave, picking up little bits and pieces from the water.

But, I can assume "worm-like" is also out?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 05-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #70
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Hey, I said "trust me". When have I ever shown myself to be untrustworthy (you know..except for those other times).

If a scarab or rhinoceros beetle is the proud, horned bull, then the Giant Burrowing Cockroach is the simple grazing cow.
hmph... well, against my better judgement, i sense that my reckless curiosity is going to get the better of me.

Quote:
Australian...marsupial...very cute...that flies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Glider

They're so cute they make "flying squirrels" look like tiny warthogs-with-wings.
bou !!! so cute !!! i want one to carry around everywhere with me and cuddle him and stroke his head. will you send me one ? i swear australian fauna must actually all be from some other planet, i can't think of any other reasonable explanation.

Quote:
In one of my recent travels in blogland there was a picture of a hermit crab curled into a manufactured, glass or crystal shell. It was quite beautiful, and I can go look for it if you wish?
yes, alright ; actually i had a hermit crab as a pet when i was a child ; he was very nice and friendly. i read that despite their name, they are actually quite sociable, and prefer to live in colonies, so i bought him a companion. but the companion turned out to be a bully ; when i put him in, he grabbed the end of my crab's claw in his own, and snapped off the tip of it. my original crab sat down and died, i'm convinced of sadness. it nearly broke my heart, truly.

Quote:
He's a good fish, and certainly helps with the written word. I speak fluent Clouseau, but, alas, I have discovered that it is not a real language.
hee ! oh now, sure it is...

Quote:
I enjoy animation, and this is brilliant (even with me not understanding a word).
i know, isn't it ? i wish you could understand the story, it's excellent. the basic premise is, square crabs can't turn, their trajectory is decided on the day they hatch out of their eggs and they must keep going on the same straight line their whole lives, unless by some fortuitous accident they are diverted. except one day, the (anti) hero of our story is about to be crushed by a sinking ferry which covers his entire trajectory, and miraculously at the last minute he manages to turn. suddenly he realizes, his species isn't incapable of turning because of their square carapace, but because they're all cretins. a world of new possibilities suddenly opens up to him, but before he can explore it, all the other crabs rain down censure on him ; after all, the square crabs are *known* for keeping to the straight and narrow, and they don't take it lightly. so he returns to his original trajectory, hoping nonetheless that someday, someone would remember that on this spot, a square crab deliberately changed direction.

Quote:
They're only small (well, they're about 2 to 3 metres long,
WHAT ???? "small" is 2 to 3 metres long ???? what on earth would you consider a largish worm ????

Quote:
But, I can assume "worm-like" is also out?
it is *now*, crikey !!!!

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-28-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #71
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

bou !!! so cute !!!...
What is this "bou" of which you speak? My fish is silent on the subject.

Quote:
yes, alright ; actually i had a hermit crab as a pet when i was a child ; he was very nice and friendly....
People in glass houses shouldn't scratch themselves all the time:

Quote:
WHAT ???? "small" is 2 to 3 metres long ???? what on earth would you consider a largish worm ???? ...
They're heavily cropped, but, noting that the "heads" below (the full width, including "fringe") are only the size of somewhere between your pinky finger nail and your thumb nail, and that the length below sand is even more (well, completely) harmless and merely to assist retraction to safety, and they're quite pretty.

(See attached: I did them as attachments so that Queen Zee doesn't have to look too closely at them if she doesn't want)

Sorry 'bout the quality of the photos - they're taken standing away (to avoid scaring them) and leaning over, and through retreating waves - thus the blur.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 03-25-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #72
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Now, from the "No shit, Sherlock" files:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...e-cookies.html

Quote:
Thoughts of death make us eat more cookies
(* 29 May 2008 * From New Scientist Print Edition)

SCOFFING cookies provides a sweet escape from contemplating our fate.

The authors believe people with low self-esteem use consuming as a way of subconsciously escaping self-awareness, which is heightened by thoughts of dying. "When you indulge in shopping or eating, it helps you forget yourself," says Smeesters.

Cheers,
The Cookie Monster
Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #73
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
What is this "bou" of which you speak? My fish is silent on the subject.
heu, "bou" ; it means "bou", you know, as in "so cute i am reduced to meaningless onomatopeias formed through kissy lips to express my utter helplessness in the face of such cuteness." or something.

interesting photo, although now that i've seen it i think i prefer them to live in opaque shells, as nature intended.
Quote:
They're heavily cropped, but, noting that the "heads" below (the full width, including "fringe") are only the size of somewhere between your pinky finger nail and your thumb nail, and that the length below sand is even more (well, completely) harmless and merely to assist retraction to safety, and they're quite pretty.
further proof that australia is populated by aliens. neko's avatar seems even more apt, suddenly.
Quote:
Sorry 'bout the quality of the photos - they're taken standing away (to avoid scaring them) and leaning over, and through retreating waves - thus the blur.
right ; because naturally, when a person comes face to face with a three metre long alien worm with multiple eyes hiding in the sand, it's the *worm* who is most likely to be frightened.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #74
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
heu, "bou" ; it means "bou", you know, as in "so cute i am reduced to meaningless onomatopeias formed through kissy lips to express my utter helplessness in the face of such cuteness." or something.
We need to mozzle this word into English. That's a wonderful definition!!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #75
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Yes, I agree, if only to increase the net total of kissy lip faces.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, clouds of enlightenment, cthulhu, gibbons, unutterable silliness