Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
DavidJD
DavidJD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Kindle PW can't open MOBI output, no prob with PC app

I've been using Calibre for a long time to convert EPUB files to MOBI for use with my Kindle PW (latest model). I'm currently using Calibre 3.2.1, and for some reason recently I can never open its MOBI output on the PW. If I try to email it (or Send to Kindle), it never appears, and if I sideload via USB, it says it can't open the file. But the same file works fine with the Kindle app on Windows 10.

The only way I can use it now is to convert to AZW3 and sideload it via USB, because for some reason AZW3 doesn't work with email or Send to Kindle.

Any suggestions, please?
DavidJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Covert to KF8 and side load via USB. You really don't want Mobi. It's an obsolete format and you could lose some formatting. Forget Send to Kindle exists. Amazon sure does care about it or it would work with KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
DavidJD

Thanks, but why is MOBI an obsolete format? First I've heard ...
Old 07-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
DavidJD

In case anyone else who's in my shoes reads this, I'll unpack JSWolf's response as best I can. Calibre doesn't output KF8 format per se, but there is a KFX-output plugin that seems equivalent. Here's the info: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272407

I converted to KFX and sideloaded no problem, but I wonder why I went to all that trouble (installing a plugin and a preview installer; whew!) when AZW3 seems perfectly compatible.

I also tried Send to Kindle, and emailing to my @kindle.com address; the latter both with the original .KFX extension and renamed to .KF8. None of those worked.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJD View Post
I've been using Calibre for a long time to convert EPUB files to MOBI for use with my Kindle PW (latest model). I'm currently using Calibre 3.2.1, and for some reason recently I can never open its MOBI output on the PW. If I try to email it (or Send to Kindle), it never appears, and if I sideload via USB, it says it can't open the file. But the same file works fine with the Kindle app on Windows 10.
Have you tried restarting your PW and trying again? Failing that, there might be a bad MOBI file on your Kindle causing a problem. Try removing your most recent MOBI files and see if that resolves the problem. You may need to remove any dodgy files via USB. * (Remove all the MOBIs via USB that do no appear on your PW's homescreen)

Quote:
The only way I can use it now is to convert to AZW3 and sideload it via USB, because for some reason AZW3 doesn't work with email or Send to Kindle.
This is what JSWolf meant when he said use KF8 and sideload; AZW3 is a KF8 format. Amazon only accepts MOBI formats, unfortunately. No need to convert to KFX.

People have had success with using dual format MOBIs. In Calibre Conversion Dialogue:
Output Format: MOBI
MOBI output > MOBI file type: Both (old MOBI6 and KF8 formats together)

Amazon usually accepts those and your device receives the KF8 format.

Last edited by JimmyR; 07-01-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Add note *
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Calibre doesn't output KF8 format per se, but there is a KFX-output plugin that seems equivalent.
KF8 = AZW3
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #7
DavidJD

Thanks, JimmyR. I have to wonder how a malformed file on the PW would interfere with simply receiving and listing a book sent via Send to Kindle. Especially when it works fine with mobi files I didn't convert.

I tried your suggestion for File Type: Both and that worked. But that would mean double-size books filling up my PW. I guess I'll just stick with azw and sideloading.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, JimmyR. I have to wonder how a malformed file on the PW would interfere with simply receiving and listing a book sent via Send to Kindle. Especially when it works fine with mobi files I didn't convert.

I tried your suggestion for File Type: Both and that worked. But that would mean double-size books filling up my PW. I guess I'll just stick with azw and sideloading.
As long as you are side loading, KF8 is the format to use. It works much better on your PW.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've ran into similar problems in the past; a bad file causing subsequently loaded files to not appear or load correctly.

IF you haven't tried already, restart your PW. Also, try restoring the MOBI output settings to default. Could be a weird setting:
Convert Book Dialogue
Restore defaults (bottom left)

A similar problem:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...53#post3052053

Quote:
You will not end up with a double-size book on your PW. You will receive only a single format version from Amazon. The dual format won't even work if side-loaded on the Kindle.

Last edited by JimmyR; 07-01-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
I've ran into similar problems in the past; a bad file causing subsequently loaded files to not appear or load correctly.

IF you haven't tried already, restart your PW. Also, try restoring the MOBI output settings to default. Could be a weird setting:
Convert Book Dialogue
Restore defaults (bottom left)

A similar problem:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...53#post3052053

You will not end up with a double-size book on your PW. You will receive only a single format version from Amazon. The dual format won't even work if side-loaded on the Kindle.
I'm curious as to why you think that the dual format won't work if side-loaded on to the Kindle? I just tried it, and it definitely worked.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #11
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm curious as to why you think that the dual format won't work if side-loaded on to the Kindle? I just tried it, and it definitely worked.

Shari
Interesting. I've tried it in the past with the K3 and a K5 Touch and it did not work for me. Plus there is a warning in the Calibre conversion dialogue:
Quote:
Warning: Various Kindle devices have trouble displaying the new or both MOBI filetypes...
Admittedly, it has been several years since I've tried this so things could very well be different now. There really is no reason to side-load dual format MOBIs though.

Last edited by JimmyR; 07-02-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
There really is no reason to side-load dual format MOBIs though.
Some publishers make dual format Mobi and unless you check every .mobi you get not from Amazon, you could very well be loading a Mobi/KF8 eBook.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #13
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some publishers make dual format Mobi and unless you check every .mobi you get not from Amazon, you could very well be loading a Mobi/KF8 eBook.
OK. My point is that there is no reason to knowingly side-load a dual format MOBI. It's just a waste of space.

All the books in my library are converted to EPUB and edited then converted to AZW3 if destined for a Kindle.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:26 PM   #14
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 4 /32. Also have a Kobo Aura One
Post PW4 unable to open sideloaded mobi

I know this is a four years old topic, still It had the solution for a problem of today.
I tried to sideload a set of books originally in epub format using the reliable method of silent converting by Calibre. The books however were unable to open on the device, even if the ebook reader in Calibre did handle it well.
The resoulution of the problem was (as suggested in this old topic) to use KF8 (AZW3) instead of mobi.

So thanks @JSWolf, this comment helped me after an hour long trying and confusion.
(I still don't understand why but at least it works, however I will most probably never fill up the 32GB memory of my PW4 with text e-books even if I were to use double format files)

Some answers of possible future questions:
Yes, I had used mobi as default format for PW4.
Yes, I have changed it now to azw3.
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #15
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 4 /32. Also have a Kobo Aura One
Cool crashing kindle indexer?

Quote:

This can be the real reason:
Took the problem to the Calibre section of this forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The MOBI file you attached works in both Kindle Previewer and shows up on my Kindle PaperWhite.

Your problems are almost certainly caused by some MOBI file on the device that is causing the kindle indexer to crash. All files that the indexer would have gotten to after the bad file will therefore not show up. Presumably, the Kindle indexes azw3 files separately/before MOBI files.

Reset your kindle or delete everything from it manually and you should be fine.
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert, epub, error, mobi