Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
ChelonianEgghead
ChelonianEgghead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT4
What to do with my new Kindle KT4 with FW 5.16.5?

The other day I got a refurbished Kindle KT4 for the purpose of installing KOReader on it because it's a cheap model but I don't really want to use Amazon's ecosystem, but I was a moron and didn't do much research into the jailbreaking process beforehand so yeah I set it up and updated it to FW 5.16.5 and now I'm stuck. It seems my options are to resell it and get a new one making sure it has older firmware, wait for a new exploit to be found, or try doing a hardware jailbreak. The first option is obviously an inconvenience but would at least work, the second could take months or even a year, and yeah as for the latter I hear they've tightened up security on the hardware side of things and idk if I really want to pick up a soldering iron again after my last fiasco. Of course I could just use it offline with Calibre or something but yeah what's my best option here? Thanks for reading.
ChelonianEgghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 05:13 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The only reason to buy a Kindle is to either read Amazon KU on it, or buy Amazon ebooks (which can be then read elsewhere as you have a serial ID of a registered Kindle to copy/paste from your account). Most Kobos and almost all Android eInk can run KOReader without any jailbreak.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2023, 11:11 AM   #3
ChelonianEgghead
ChelonianEgghead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT4
Yeah that's what it looks like upon further research, I'll probably get a Kobo Libra H2O then. Thanks for the help.
ChelonianEgghead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware modding, jailbreak, kt4