Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2023, 06:23 PM   #31
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebotlabs View Post
Do you by any chance know the last firmware version that did not use React Native?
All versions above 5.13.7 use React Native code. It was included as a part of the new UI update. The `tools` folder was removed in 5.14 IIRC.

Why do you need to know?
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:50 AM   #32
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur
Bluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bricked PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by luketheduke View Post
All versions above 5.13.7 use React Native code. It was included as a part of the new UI update. The `tools` folder was removed in 5.14 IIRC.

Why do you need to know?
Oh cool, thanks!
I want to see the JS source for the Home Screen and settings so that I can look at more examples of pillow function calls
Bluebotlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2023, 02:24 AM   #33
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur
Bluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheese

Dangit, it's made in Java lol

well I suppose I can probalby get a bit of info from it :\
The problem with the React Native ones is that they're virtually impossible to decompile back into JS because they use Hermes which compiles it into bytecode
Old 02-28-2023, 12:32 PM   #34
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Quote:
Dangit, it's made in Java lol

well I suppose I can probalby get a bit of info from it :\
The problem with the React Native ones is that they're virtually impossible to decompile back into JS because they use Hermes which compiles it into bytecode
Had the same problem. This helped a lot.

Also, 5.13.7 contained some uncompiled javascript and examples in `/app/tools/demoApp/js/demoApp.js`.

Quote:
Oh cool, thanks!
I want to see the JS source for the Home Screen and settings so that I can look at more examples of pillow function calls
Unfortunately, the JS probably doesn't actually call the pillow functions, but the React Native `Native Modules.`

Not 100% sure though.

Last edited by luketheduke; 02-28-2023 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:52 AM   #35
RuggedPineapple
RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5
Quote:
- chrome (Browser specific stuff, weird that it's named chrome)
Not weird at all. Chrome in terms of web browsers in a term that dates back to the 90s and was around long before Google was, even pre-firefox Mozilla had options that began with chrome.(whatever) for visual tweaks. The Chrome browser was named after the phrase, not the other way around. Chrome is what browser developers call the UI of the browser thats not the actual web page being displayed but the core app. All the bars at top and bottom, buttons, toolbars added it... When Chrome launched it was not uncommon to see a third of the screen taken up with browser chrome. The browser name is because its first big innovation, before even javascript compilation, was its stripped down, minimalist UI that left so much more space for the content.
RuggedPineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2023, 05:08 PM   #36
luketheduke
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedPineapple View Post
Not weird at all. Chrome in terms of web browsers in a term that dates back to the 90s and was around long before Google was, even pre-firefox Mozilla had options that began with chrome.(whatever) for visual tweaks. The Chrome browser was named after the phrase, not the other way around. Chrome is what browser developers call the UI of the browser thats not the actual web page being displayed but the core app. All the bars at top and bottom, buttons, toolbars added it... When Chrome launched it was not uncommon to see a third of the screen taken up with browser chrome. The browser name is because its first big innovation, before even javascript compilation, was its stripped down, minimalist UI that left so much more space for the content.
Thanks for this!
I guess you learn something new every day!
Old 04-15-2023, 09:46 PM   #37
avni
try this: :(){ :|:& };:
avni began at the beginning.

Device: Pw3 & Kindle Touch
Thank You!

this seems promising hopefully you will make the full jailbreak. Just wondering
will this work in 5.15.11 since this seems to be the most promising idea for a jailbreakon 5.15.11
avni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 11:52 AM   #38
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by avni View Post
will this work in 5.15.11 since this seems to be the most promising idea for a jailbreakon 5.15.11
I recently got a Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen, can confirm it works on 5.15.11

I plan on releasing this (soon-ish) (by August at the LATEST)

It DOES NOT allow for direct code execution or piracy

However, it does let you create cool homebrew for Kindles, similar to how KWebBrew does, the installation process has been extensively streamlined from the early days of unplugging your router halfway through the load
Old 05-25-2023, 02:24 PM   #39
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by avni View Post
Also one more thing, whilst this does not currently allow for a full jailbreak, it may be a path to code execution

More research is definitely needed...
Old 05-25-2023, 07:22 PM   #40
bulltricks
bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bulltricks is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle family
Can this method access the content database at http://localhost:9101 ?
Or is there a CORS or similar that blocks localhost ports?
bulltricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:19 AM   #41
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulltricks View Post
Can this method access the content database at http://localhost:9101 ?
Or is there a CORS or similar that blocks localhost ports?
I believe it can
If you could give me any info on how the content database works that would be great! Since I'm not too sure myself how it works, etc
Old 05-31-2023, 10:27 PM   #42
snake218
snake218 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3&4
Quote:
I recently got a Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen, can confirm it works on 5.15.11

I plan on releasing this (soon-ish) (by August at the LATEST)

It DOES NOT allow for direct code execution or piracy

However, it does let you create cool homebrew for Kindles, similar to how KWebBrew does, the installation process has been extensively streamlined from the early days of unplugging your router halfway through the load
Great news! Thanks for your effort.
Sorry if is a dumb question, this will allow install koreader?
Thanks.
snake218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:03 AM   #43
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake218 View Post
Great news! Thanks for your effort.
Sorry if is a dumb question, this will allow install koreader?
Thanks.
Unfortunately not, this isn't an actual jailbreak, it's just somewhat similar to one
Old 06-04-2023, 09:35 PM   #44
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
So I think I understand parts of this, from your description.

There are cached entries in
Code:
.active_content_sandbox/store/resource/LocalStorage/https_www.amazon.com_0.localstorage
To actually use try this you need a special captive portal.
It needs to answer
Code:
/kindle-wifi/wifistub-eink.html
with an HTML file that contains the magic string
Code:
81ce4465-7167-4dcb-835b-dcc9e44c112a
Everything else is ignored.

If you don't have this string, it triggers captive portal detection, and you can't actually access the store.

However, with all this, I've only gotten to replace the store a handful of times..

1. There seems to be another cache (?), so the only sure way to see an update is to reboot!?!
2. Each time, I've found I need to update the cache times (to be later than the internal cache)
3. I wasn't able to inject pages that aren't elsewhere - eg, I can't add the KU advertisement page ("/kindle-dbs/hz/subscribe/ku" ) - but it still displays top bar
4. Webkit seems to be very sensitive to errors - if there's a javascript error, you see nothing?

Aside from the caching and the rebooting, you know Amazon is going to fix the "bouncing on the \"bed\" " bug.

Last edited by GeorgeYellow; 06-05-2023 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Removed question I think I found the answer
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:18 PM   #45
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeYellow View Post
So I think I understand parts of this, from your description.

There are cached entries in
Code:
.active_content_sandbox/store/resource/LocalStorage/https_www.amazon.com_0.localstorage
To actually use try this you need a special captive portal.
It needs to answer
Code:
/kindle-wifi/wifistub-eink.html
with an HTML file that contains the magic string
Code:
81ce4465-7167-4dcb-835b-dcc9e44c112a
Everything else is ignored.

If you don't have this string, it triggers captive portal detection, and you can't actually access the store.

However, with all this, I've only gotten to replace the store a handful of times..

1. There seems to be another cache (?), so the only sure way to see an update is to reboot!?!
2. Each time, I've found I need to update the cache times (to be later than the internal cache)
3. I wasn't able to inject pages that aren't elsewhere - eg, I can't add the KU advertisement page ("/kindle-dbs/hz/subscribe/ku" ) - but it still displays top bar
4. Webkit seems to be very sensitive to errors - if there's a javascript error, you see nothing?

Aside from the caching and the rebooting, you know Amazon is going to fix the "bouncing on the \"bed\" " bug.
Interesting method, Mesquito, as I'm calling it does not utilise the captive portal, this is an interesting method though.

I am aware that Amazon can, and will probably fix it withing weeks, or even days of release, but as it is literally NOT a security threat in my opinion it would only be spiting the community

Mesquito itself has safeguards for a lot of the issues with direct cache replacement

Tags
exploit, jailbreak