Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #31
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHINCB View Post
Did you manage to test the new version?
Works like a charm! Kudos to NiLuJe.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:04 PM   #32
CHINCB
CHINCB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by luketheduke View Post
Works like a charm! Kudos to NiLuJe.

Looks like I need to order a set of tools. How difficult is the opening process
CHINCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2022, 09:44 PM   #33
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Quote:
Looks like I need to order a set of tools. How difficult is the opening process
I found it pretty easy. I follow this guide https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Kindle...3rd_Generation to take the kindle apart.
Then I just use a paperclip to short the two pads.

The only thing I would recommend, is to take care not to damage the screen when you remove the front cover.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:26 AM   #34
CHINCB
CHINCB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I was unable to get the device into SDP mode, I shorted the to pads and reset but nothing, should I keep the paperclip there throughout the reset?
CHINCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:04 PM   #35
luketheduke
Connoisseur

Quote:
I was unable to get the device into SDP mode, I shorted the to pads and reset but nothing, should I keep the paperclip there throughout the reset?
You'll have to hold the paperclip down the entire time during the boot process while plugged into a computer.
You'll know it entered SDP because the screen will display the same screen as it was before rebooting.

If you have trouble shorting CR501 (shown in red) and TP1706 (shown in green) like I did, try CR501 (shown in red) and TP508 (shown in blue). That's what worked for me.

Also, make sure your kindle is charged quite a bit. That also caused a problem for me.

Keep at it, I almost gave up a few times, but you'll get it eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qp3NYCcJFisoelfD.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	196478  
Advert
Old 10-26-2022, 04:22 PM   #36
Gaqs
Enthusiast
Gaqs began at the beginning.

Device: KT4, PW3
Oh this is interesting, I just bought an used PW3 but it's been updated by the previous owner to FW 5.14.3.0.1, so I can't use WatchThis. I was going to wait for another software JB but I read online that there was a serial port JB for the PW3. So I reading up on the forum on how to do a serial jailbreak and found this thread, and I guess this is a better and more updated option than going through the old serial jailbreak threads right?

I read this thread history and NiJuLe has updated the hotfix to work on newer FW versions, so I'm assuming 5.14.3.0.1 is included right?(And up to 5.15.1 if I choose to update?) And the installing the hotfix process is just like on a software jailbreak? "hotfix file to the root folder, then [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle"?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gaqs; 10-26-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Gaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #37
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Unfortunately installing the hotfix requires the Kindle JB as a prerequisite.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #38
Gaqs
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Unfortunately installing the hotfix requires the Kindle JB as a prerequisite.

Dave
Oh I'm aware, sorry for not making that clear. I'm just asking about the hotfix installation because I have done only one other jailbreak(WatchThis JB), which described the hotfix installation in the thread, but this thread doesn't describe the hotfix installation. So I was asking if after doing the popcorn jailbreak, the hotfix installation was to be done as I described.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:21 AM   #39
mreader123
mreader123 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Works great on stock 5.14.3.0.1 PW3 on Windows!
Used ygjsz's win version of popcorn.
NiLuJe hotfix worked for me too.
Now waiting to see if this can be done for PW5

Tips:
Charged up and used the 2 closer points as luketheduke advised.
Worked on first try with a staple. Hardest part was getting bezel off without damaging.
Need to reboot while holding the points, so I had the kindle on it's side.
That way I held the points on the back while navigating reboot dialog on the front screen.
On ygjsz's MfgTool.exe: On reboot and SDP mode, you'll hear USB connecting to the computer and "No Device Connected" will turn into "HID device." Hit start button when you see that.

Last edited by mreader123; 10-27-2022 at 03:25 AM.
mreader123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 03:23 PM   #40
Gaqs
Enthusiast

I've read the comments but unfortunately I don't quite get it, can someone explain me how long exactly do I need to hold down rightmost CR501 to TP1706 and when? Is it, connect the kindle to usb, then connect the pins, then hold down the power button till the kindle restarts, and when it finishes restarting and goes back to the screen it was at like luketheduke described I can let go of the paperclip and install the jailbreak?
Old 10-27-2022, 04:14 PM   #41
mreader123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaqs View Post
I've read the comments but unfortunately I don't quite get it, can someone explain me how long exactly do I need to hold down rightmost CR501 to TP1706 and when? Is it, connect the kindle to usb, then connect the pins, then hold down the power button till the kindle restarts, and when it finishes restarting and goes back to the screen it was at like luketheduke described I can let go of the paperclip and install the jailbreak?
For windows:
1. download and open ygjsz's MfgTool.exe on PC
2. connect kindle to pc
3. on kindle: get up to reset prompt using settings/device options/restart ("no/yes" buttons--but don't reset yet)
4. connect CR and TP pins and hold.
5. while holding the pins, press "yes" to restart kindle
6. should hear usb device connecting on pc, and "HID device" on pc (MfgTool.exe)
7. click START on MfgTool.exe. ok to disconnect pins-this step installs the jailbreak
8. install NiLuJe's hotfix

Last edited by mreader123; 10-27-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:58 PM   #42
Gaqs
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreader123 View Post
For windows:
1. download and open ygjsz's MfgTool.exe on PC
2. connect kindle to pc
3. on kindle: get up to reset prompt using settings/device options/restart ("no/yes" buttons--but don't reset yet)
4. connect CR and TP pins and hold.
5. while holding the pins, press "yes" to restart kindle
6. should hear usb device connecting on pc, and "HID device" on pc (MfgTool.exe)
7. click START on MfgTool.exe. ok to disconnect pins-this step installs the jailbreak
8. install NiLuJe's hotfix
Thanks for the detailed explanation, so I need to keep holding the pins while I click start on MfgTool, and after I click start I can let go of the pins right, this will be though to do with just two hands haha

I'm assuming I need to eject the kindle from my computer while keeping it connected to usb to be able to get to the settings/device options/restart prompt right?
Old 10-27-2022, 05:03 PM   #43
mreader123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaqs View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation, so I need to keep holding the pins while I click start on MfgTool, and after I click start I can let go of the pins right, this will be though to do with just two hands haha

I'm assuming I need to eject the kindle from my computer while keeping it connected to usb to be able to get to the settings/device options/restart prompt right?
Doesn't matter about ejecting from computer. Restart will reconnect usb.
Tbh, I can't remember if I had the pins touch when I pressed Start-I think I waited a few seconds when I heard the usb connecting and "HID Device" and then let go, then pressed Start.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:13 PM   #44
Gaqs
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreader123 View Post
Doesn't matter about ejecting from computer. Restart will reconnect usb.
Tbh, I can't remember if I had the pins touch when I pressed Start-I think I waited a few seconds when I heard the usb connecting and "HID Device" and then let go, then pressed Start.
Thanks, I'm trying to find a good grip to start the procedure, the pins are so small, I'm afraid I'll let go while trying to press restart. If I fail the procedure all that happens is that the device restarts normally instead of going to SDP mode?
Old 10-27-2022, 06:16 PM   #45
Gaqs
Enthusiast

Tried 4 times now and no dice, I'm leaving mfgtool open to check if it changes to "HID Device" but it hasn't, I hear the windows USB connecting sound before the restart progress bar on the kindle screen starts, but it just boots to the "USB drive mod" screen. On my last try the kindle started like, reloading home screen over and over, but it stopped when I connected it to USB again.

Tags
jailbreak, popcorn