Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2024, 04:02 PM   #811
dexter3535
dexter3535 began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite first generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can only update to newer on a Kindle. Only JB allows downgrade. The "Upgrade" option is disabled if no suitable signed FW is found.
Is it true that if you have factory image , you can downgrade the kindle without having jailbreak ?
dexter3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 04:59 PM   #812
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter3535 View Post
Is it true that if you have factory image , you can downgrade the kindle without having jailbreak ?
What do you mean by factory image?
There are official Amazon files. You can't install an earlier one.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:23 PM   #813
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
pw2 running firmware below version 5.8 could be downgraded, a unique special case.

"factory image" were special kindle model specific firmware images that fell off a truck that had vulnerabilities not present in retail firmware. The last one was for a pw3 running 5.9.6 or lower.

In general, no downgrade without jailbreak or serial port access, which is pretty much gone. The bootloader is locked on the last models with known serial ports and no one has found a serial port on recent models.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:07 AM   #814
Fennek
PercentVerse
Fennek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 7th generation (G090G1/PW3/KINDLE 3 WIFI 2015)
I think we might have a PW3 model that is not going to get updates past 5.16.2.1.1.
Does that mean it will always be Jailbreakable?
Fennek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 05:52 AM   #815
Mob201503
Mob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheeseMob201503 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW3 (7th Gen), Android apps (KOReader, Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenUK View Post
This guide is a waste of time. It never works.
I'm aware from your later posts that this comment was born out of annoyance/frustration at not getting it to work (and I hope you got it sorted out successfully), but out of respect and admiration for the work & effort that was put into LanguageBreak, I have to point out that whatever this guide is, the very last thing is "a waste of time".

Many encounter difficulties, because the process is undeniably tricky, and perseverance is key.

By allowing me enjoy buttery smooth KOReader goodness on my PW3, LanguageBreak single-handedly allowed me to shelve my intention to buy a dedicated Android eInk device for the sole purpose of running KOReader.

For that I couldn't be more grateful to all those responsible for this JB.

Love & gratitude again to all of you behind LanguageBreak and KOReader.

Mob201503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 02:57 PM   #816
dkinor
dkinor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe 1st Gen
Help - Kindle Scribe, FW 16.2.0.1, jailbroken using the methods in this thread (TY Marek & merger3107), with KUAL (coplate) latest snapshot installed (and confirmed working), and KOReader (latest v.2024.03.01) installed using method described at p.43 of this thread (TY Althusser).

When I try and open KOReader, it looks like KOReader wants to open, but stalls out after a few seconds and does not open (whether opened from KUAL or from (optionally installed) KOL).

I am frustrated by inability to get KOReader to open on my Kindle Scribe (especially when KOReader opens just fine on KPW5 running jb'd 5.14.1). So, I want to start over on my Kindle Scribe, and factory reset my device and re-jailbreak it (to create a blank slate), and then take proper steps to get a working KOReader install. A few questions:

1. Is there a way I can factory reset without losing jailbreak (I know how to factory reset with DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file in kindle root)?

2. I remember reading a post in this thread (from mergen3107?) stating that you can either have JB + KOReader OR notetaking on the Kindle Scribe, but not both. Given that notetaking for Kindle Scribe came on with 5.16.2, this suggests that, if I want to get working KOReader on Kindle Scribe, after I jailbreak, I need to downgrade FW below 5.16.2 (which I can do using the procedure documented by mergen3107). So, my question is (and maybe this is OT, for which I apologize): what is the latest FW version for which users have gotten KOReader to work on the Kindle Scribe?

3. Re firmware downgrades, can I downgrade below 5.16 for Kindle Scribe (e.g., to 5.15.x, for example, where there is documented working KOReader on Kindle Scribe), without risking bricking my device (i.e., I don't know if the bootloader for 5.16.x prevents downgrade to 5.15.x FW)?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.
dkinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 05:29 PM   #817
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
5.16.1 is the first firmware to support Scribe hardware, so no Scribe can run firmware below 5.16.1
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:19 AM   #818
scribe_user
scribe_user began at the beginning.

Device: scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkinor View Post
Help - Kindle Scribe, FW 16.2.0.1, jailbroken using the methods in this thread (TY Marek & merger3107), with KUAL (coplate) latest snapshot installed (and confirmed working), and KOReader (latest v.2024.03.01) installed using method described at p.43 of this thread (TY Althusser).

When I try and open KOReader, it looks like KOReader wants to open, but stalls out after a few seconds and does not open (whether opened from KUAL or from (optionally installed) KOL).

I am frustrated by inability to get KOReader to open on my Kindle Scribe (especially when KOReader opens just fine on KPW5 running jb'd 5.14.1). So, I want to start over on my Kindle Scribe, and factory reset my device and re-jailbreak it (to create a blank slate), and then take proper steps to get a working KOReader install. A few questions:

1. Is there a way I can factory reset without losing jailbreak (I know how to factory reset with DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file in kindle root)?

2. I remember reading a post in this thread (from mergen3107?) stating that you can either have JB + KOReader OR notetaking on the Kindle Scribe, but not both. Given that notetaking for Kindle Scribe came on with 5.16.2, this suggests that, if I want to get working KOReader on Kindle Scribe, after I jailbreak, I need to downgrade FW below 5.16.2 (which I can do using the procedure documented by mergen3107). So, my question is (and maybe this is OT, for which I apologize): what is the latest FW version for which users have gotten KOReader to work on the Kindle Scribe?

3. Re firmware downgrades, can I downgrade below 5.16 for Kindle Scribe (e.g., to 5.15.x, for example, where there is documented working KOReader on Kindle Scribe), without risking bricking my device (i.e., I don't know if the bootloader for 5.16.x prevents downgrade to 5.15.x FW)?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.
There are 3 different versions of KOReader for Kindles in Github release page. I am on 5.16.2.0.1 and I use PW2 version of KOReader on my scribe. Note taking also works on my scribe. Take a closer look at the KOReader releases in Github. You should be careful with downgrading. If you install any incompatible package, you might end up with a bricked device.
scribe_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 02:13 PM   #819
kbs24
kbs24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT4, PW3, PW2021
I have a PW3 which is on 5.16.2.1. I was able to get to step 10, plugged into computer as fast as I could, but there was no "kindle" usb folder for me to recopy the Language Break. I went ahead anyway since there was not way to go back, and I selected the chinese language. It rebooted, and now wants me to connect to wifi. I don't know how to "skip" the wifi selection because I can't read Chinese so I think I am stuck. Should I proceed to connect to wifi? Edit: I managed to do a factory reset somehow. So back in English I started over. I had high hopes for this jailbreak, looking forward to my screensavers again, but once more, although i rushed to plug back into PC, there was no Kindle entry in Windows Explorer, so I could not recopy the contents of Language Break into the root. I can't figure out what went wrong. I mean, once the kindle is unplugged from the pc, and it has not rebooted, the Kindle folder is of course, gone from pc. So where am I going wrong? Just not fast enough? Edit #2: Now I am stuck totally in Chinese, Demo mode, and Managed mode. All I want to do now is factory reset, but settings seem to be greyed out....everything is greyed out, except one line which google lens translated as compliance and something else not useful.....Also, because of prior failure to get usb connection fast enough, I got "UPdate failed" for the hotfix. Someone, please just help me get back to factory data reset. That's all I need right now. Many thanks, anyone please help.....

Last edited by kbs24; 04-14-2024 at 05:09 PM. Reason: completely stuck now....help!
kbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:59 AM   #820
The_Red_River
The_Red_River began at the beginning.

Device: PW 3
Unhappy

Why my kindle cant exit the managed mode?
I try the ;demo command but after that the kual disappeared
The_Red_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:20 PM   #821
sanujar
sanujar began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Thanks for the jailbreak Marek! First time jailbreaker over here so the guide over at https://kindlemodding.gitbook.io/kin...4.3-5.16.2.1.1 definitely helped.

One thing I'd like to note is I'd recommend a factory reset before beginning the jailbreak. When I entered demo mode on a Kindle with hundreds of books and 800MB free space I couldn't get to the screen where I could do the secret gesture; the Kindle would just show three images in a slideshow and then bootloop no matter what gestures I made. Eventually I managed to tap so furiously that the slideshow crashed, gave a critical error message, and allowed me to do a factory reset. I really needed that, given that USB wouldn't work and I could get no other input working.

Other than that I had a few instances like KUAL seemingly removing itself along with MRPI after I logged in to my Amazon account, I think, but another round of hotfix resolved that for me.

Overall, thanks again for the jailbreak, and thanks for the instructions. The only bit where I got stuck was with the bootlooping, which may have been disastrous if I hadn't been able to make it crash out.
sanujar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:27 PM   #822
sanujar
sanujar began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs24 View Post
I have a PW3 which is on 5.16.2.1. I was able to get to step 10, plugged into computer as fast as I could, but there was no "kindle" usb folder for me to recopy the Language Break. I went ahead anyway since there was not way to go back, and I selected the chinese language. It rebooted, and now wants me to connect to wifi. I don't know how to "skip" the wifi selection because I can't read Chinese so I think I am stuck. Should I proceed to connect to wifi? Edit: I managed to do a factory reset somehow. So back in English I started over. I had high hopes for this jailbreak, looking forward to my screensavers again, but once more, although i rushed to plug back into PC, there was no Kindle entry in Windows Explorer, so I could not recopy the contents of Language Break into the root. I can't figure out what went wrong. I mean, once the kindle is unplugged from the pc, and it has not rebooted, the Kindle folder is of course, gone from pc. So where am I going wrong? Just not fast enough? Edit #2: Now I am stuck totally in Chinese, Demo mode, and Managed mode. All I want to do now is factory reset, but settings seem to be greyed out....everything is greyed out, except one line which google lens translated as compliance and something else not useful.....Also, because of prior failure to get usb connection fast enough, I got "UPdate failed" for the hotfix. Someone, please just help me get back to factory data reset. That's all I need right now. Many thanks, anyone please help.....
I can definitely feel the sheer helplessness here, and until someone else more knowledgeable than me can comment, I think your immediate requirement is to get out of managed mode so that you can access other settings. As long as you have access to the search bar and you aren't logged in to a Kindle account:

1. Type ;demo into the Kindle search bar.

2. You will get a prompt with two buttons. Press the right-most button.

3. The device will reboot. If all is well, your Kindle should have a folder named mkk in the root directory.

This worked for me after the jailbreak, so hopefully it works for you too.
sanujar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:03 PM   #823
kbs24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanujar View Post
I can definitely feel the sheer helplessness here, and until someone else more knowledgeable than me can comment, I think your immediate requirement is to get out of managed mode so that you can access other settings. As long as you have access to the search bar and you aren't logged in to a Kindle account:

1. Type ;demo into the Kindle search bar.

2. You will get a prompt with two buttons. Press the right-most button.

3. The device will reboot. If all is well, your Kindle should have a folder named mkk in the root directory.

This worked for me after the jailbreak, so hopefully it works for you too.
Thank you for your kind reply. I typed ;demo into the search bar, pressed the enter arrow. (I did not get a right and left button.) From there I used Google Lens Translation and printed out each translated screen that I came to via prompts. Finally, a screen showed several options, one of which suggested that if "I did a full reset I would not be able to it as a demo any more" which sounded like a great choice so that was the prompt I selected. (It had something to do with reselling equipment.) So, voila, it rebooted and the next screen was the language choice. Selected English. All good. Factory data reset. The google translator really saved me. I am happy, not going to try this jailbreak again right now. Maybe someday when I really have a ton of time and patience. Thanks to everyone on this thread for their comments and for the work of the developers who designed the jailbreak!!
Old 04-16-2024, 03:55 PM   #824
kbs24

Quote:
Thank you for your kind reply. I typed ;demo into the search bar, pressed the enter arrow. (I did not get a right and left button.) From there I used Google Lens Translation and printed out each translated screen that I came to via prompts. Finally, a screen showed several options, one of which suggested that if "I did a full reset I would not be able to it as a demo any more" which sounded like a great choice so that was the prompt I selected. (It had something to do with reselling equipment.) So, voila, it rebooted and the next screen was the language choice. Selected English. All good. Factory data reset. The google translator really saved me. I am happy, not going to try this jailbreak again right now. Maybe someday when I really have a ton of time and patience. Thanks to everyone on this thread for their comments and for the work of the developers who designed the jailbreak!!
So today I discovered that, after all the events of yesteray had been solved or so I thought, my Kindle PW 3 will not connect to either of my PCs for data transfer. Tried new cables, tried again factory reset, even tried going back into demo mode and entering ";uzb" in order to enable usb connection in demo mode, but nothing fixed the connection. NOTE, it is still charging via the PC. But no data transfer possible. Still function with Wifi, connects with Amazon etc. Any thoughts? I have scoured Google of course.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:17 PM   #825
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
So today I discovered that, after all the events of yesteray had been solved or so I thought, my Kindle PW 3 will not connect to either of my PCs for data transfer. Tried new cables, tried again factory reset, even tried going back into demo mode and entering ";uzb" in order to enable usb connection in demo mode, but nothing fixed the connection. NOTE, it is still charging via the PC. But no data transfer possible. Still function with Wifi, connects with Amazon etc. Any thoughts? I have scoured Google of course.
Have you checked the connector itself for bent pins or broken connections to the board? Have you confirmed your cables work for data transfer with another device, for example your cell phone? If you have multiple USB ports on your PCs have you tried all of them?

Beyond that if you have USBNET installed with WiFi connection enabled you should be able to transfer via SSH. As a last resort you can email them via Amazon.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreak 5.16..2.1.1, languagebreak