Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2023, 01:35 PM   #1
Averagekindlefan
gibberish
Averagekindlefan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5 SEv5.15.1
Post Anyone want to help make a new JB for 5.15.1.

I’m going to find a chain for webkit, can someone help implement
I have a jailbroken pw5 se, running 5.15.1. Can someone help test on a 5.15.1 non jb kindle. I am thinking of either uaf or oob write for the 1st part.
Averagekindlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 01:16 AM   #2
naulels
naulels began at the beginning.

Device: PPW5 LOCK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averagekindlefan View Post
I’m going to find a chain for webkit, can someone help implement
I have a jailbroken pw5 se, running 5.15.1. Can someone help test on a 5.15.1 non jb kindle. I am thinking of either uaf or oob write for the 1st part.
any risk?
naulels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #3
Averagekindlefan
gibberish

Quote:
Originally Posted by naulels View Post
any risk?
Not much, probably <1% brick chance. WebKit seems promising. The version is ancient, and from 2010.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:25 AM   #4
darkassassinua
Kindle priest
darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
If u already have instruction and files - provide me in dm, i`ll post it on 4pda.to,maybe i found few folks to test it
darkassassinua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 01:58 PM   #5
reminon
Enthusiast
reminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Scribe.
Seems more risky that it would allow an update to be downloaded, unless you plan to self host or can block all the update servers.
reminon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 03:09 PM   #6
Averagekindlefan
gibberish

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by reminon View Post
Seems more risky that it would allow an update to be downloaded, unless you plan to self host or can block all the update servers.
I will make a version for 5.15.1 and another for 5.15.1.1+. It might be possible to bypass the airplane mode dialog by using mesquite and breaking out of the waf sandbox, and completely bypass any hurdles with the ota updates. If someone has access to the private build of mesquito that allows higher privileged wafs, pls dm me. I will attempt to virtualize the kindle fw in QEMU, so I can test without a physical device. and making bricks impossible during testing

Last edited by Averagekindlefan; 09-05-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:31 PM   #7
Averagekindlefan
gibberish

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkassassinua View Post
If u already have instruction and files - provide me in dm, i`ll post it on 4pda.to,maybe i found few folks to test it
need help with finding webkit exploit. the webkit is so old i cant even find one.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:33 PM   #8
Averagekindlefan
gibberish

webkit ver is from 2009-10. 531.2 is the ver. all the exploits i could find were atleast 3 years newer. maybe i could use mesquite and break out of the sbx
Old 09-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #9
Averagekindlefan
gibberish

If I could chroot into another kindle rootfs that would be fun XD
Old 09-05-2023, 03:39 PM   #10
Averagekindlefan
gibberish

i'll try to find interesting things in the 5.15.1 and 5.15.1.1 ota pkgs.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:10 AM   #11
solidgun
solidgun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5th
Subscribing here to get in line for the 5.15.1 JB updates.
solidgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:33 AM   #12
s2kaka
s2kaka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW Manga 32GB 2016
My kindle is on 15.1.1. FW
Looking for JB for it
Thanks
s2kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 10:33 AM   #13
a632079
a632079 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW5
My device is PW5, FW is 5.15.1.1. I could join this test.
Waiting for your good news, thx.
a632079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 05:01 PM   #14
dcs
dcs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averagekindlefan View Post
webkit ver is from 2009-10. 531.2 is the ver. all the exploits i could find were atleast 3 years newer. maybe i could use mesquite and break out of the sbx
I've done some security research on the Kindle for Amazon's bug bounty program. As you say you're not going to find any working exploits for Amazon's webkit implementation since its so old. You're better off looking into old Webkit CVEs and writing your own exploit.

I wouldn't bother emulating the device in QEMU. The kindle ships with gdb/gdbserver on the device which you can use to debug the browser, assuming you have set up telnet/ssh access.

After that you will need to escape the (relatively weak) browser sandbox and escalate to root. If you have specific questions feel free to reach out but I'm not looking into the kindle much anymore and may not be very timely to respond. Good luck!
dcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 10:16 AM   #15
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur
Bluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bricked PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs View Post
I've done some security research on the Kindle for Amazon's bug bounty program. As you say you're not going to find any working exploits for Amazon's webkit implementation since its so old. You're better off looking into old Webkit CVEs and writing your own exploit.

I wouldn't bother emulating the device in QEMU. The kindle ships with gdb/gdbserver on the device which you can use to debug the browser, assuming you have set up telnet/ssh access.

After that you will need to escape the (relatively weak) browser sandbox and escalate to root. If you have specific questions feel free to reach out but I'm not looking into the kindle much anymore and may not be very timely to respond. Good luck!
Not just that, but Amazon's webkit also contains a ton of custom patches to mitigate a lot of webkit explits (KindleDrip, anyone?)
edit: ok fine, maybe not KindleDrip, but I've lost track of the exploits you honestly can't blame me LOL
Bluebotlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
developement, jailbreak