Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2023, 07:04 AM   #1
toastyv
toastyv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle 4 - Jailbreak or not in 2023?

Hi everyone,

I've just inherited an old Kindle 4 and want to ask the community about whether or not I should jailbreak this since my main goal is to add my own EPUB files to use.

My Kindle 4 is currently running on version 4.1.3 and after doing some research, it appears that since late last year in 2022, Amazon has allowed us to add EPUB files without converting it.

Because of this news, will this be applicable for my Kindle 4 or is this only for newer devices? Should I just update my Kindle?

Also from what I've read, jailbreaking the Kindle 4 doesn't open up a lot of options aside from loading your own customizations. The only reason why I'm considering this is because I want to use my own EPUB files.

Can someone please help?
toastyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:33 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyv View Post
Hi everyone,
My Kindle 4 is currently running on version 4.1.3 and after doing some research, it appears that since late last year in 2022, Amazon has allowed us to add EPUB files without converting it.

Because of this news, will this be applicable for my Kindle 4 or is this only for newer devices? Should I just update my Kindle?

Also from what I've read, jailbreaking the Kindle 4 doesn't open up a lot of options aside from loading your own customizations. The only reason why I'm considering this is because I want to use my own EPUB files.
Only jailbroken kindles can open EPUB files (after installing koreader).

EPUB files can be sent to amazon for conversion. amazon's announcements regarding this have been vauge and confusing.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:09 PM   #3
toastyv

Hi J.P.S,

Thanks for you reply.

Ok that makes sense; and yes I agree that is confusing! Can the Kindle 4 be jailbroken to install koreader?

Tried jailbreaking using a tutorial here on this forum and haven't had luck.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:06 AM   #4
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyv View Post
Hi J.P.S,

Thanks for you reply.

Ok that makes sense; and yes I agree that is confusing! Can the Kindle 4 be jailbroken to install koreader?

Tried jailbreaking using a tutorial here on this forum and haven't had luck.
It depends on the version of the software you are in.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:16 AM   #5
toastyv

Hi Ruskie_it,

My version for the Kindle 4 is 4.1.3. Is it possible to install koreader on that?
Old 05-13-2023, 04:16 AM   #6
n0ukf
n0ukf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard D00901; Kindle D01100; Kindle Touch D01200
One issue I just found out the other day with these older Kindles is that you can no longer register them with Amazon (just returns a user/password error). If they're already registered to you, they'll continue to work with Amazon.

I also am having poor luck jailbreaking with the provided instructions. Kindle 4 Touch, v5.3.7.3.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:43 AM   #7
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ukf View Post
One issue I just found out the other day with these older Kindles is that you can no longer register them with Amazon (just returns a user/password error).
See this thread, which might help with that:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=352552&page=2

And this link:

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...r-kindle-touch

Last edited by SomeSteve; 05-13-2023 at 05:06 AM.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:35 AM   #8
toastyv

Thanks for your replies n0ukf and SomeSteve!

Didn't about the challenges with registering with Amazon. Will have a look at the threads SomeSteve sent so hopefully that'll work.

Tags
epub, jailbreak, kindle 4