Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-07-2015, 03:53 AM   #1
thesn00ze
thesn00ze began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Word Count/Unique Words

Hey guys,

What is the best way to count words and unique words in EPUB/AZW3 files?

To demonstrate what I mean I will use following book:
http://www.feedbooks.com/book/673/david-copperfield

Report function in Calibre shows 357 436 words and 16 519 unique words.
feedbooks.com shows 358,632 words (doesn't provide number of unique words)
wordcounttools.com shows 359 260 words (small error is probably caused by inclusion of "About the Author, etc.") and 29 406 unique words.
easycalculation.com shows 359 408 words and 20 466 unique words.
planetcalc.com shows 364 872 words and 17 858 unique words.

My question is, which source provides most accurate number of unique words? I suspect there might be different methodology to determine number of unique words.
Attached Files
File Type: epub feedbooks_book_673.epub (1.34 MB, 271 views)
thesn00ze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
harryngh
harryngh began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
There are many alternatives as you listed. I personally like the website Word Count Tools because it provides many information about the text being put. But how you determine the number of words from there with the epub format since the tool only allow to input text string?
harryngh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Use "Edit Book" -> Tools -> Reports to get some basic idea about the used words in your document.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreFinding.png
Views:	685
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	136929  
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Count Pages PI (does more than just Pages)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There is also the Count Pages plugin which also has a word count. From memory, there was a discussion sometime last year about counting unique words. Someone modified the plugin to do this, but I don't remember if they published it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2015, 05:35 AM   #6
thesn00ze
thesn00ze began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
to harryngh: I converted the book to .rtf and copy/paste
to DrCipher: I have mentioned this feature, my question was which unique word count tool is most reliable/accurate.
to theducks and davidfor: thanks for the tips, will check it out
thesn00ze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
asles
asles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
try this website word count tool on a Russian translator website. It gives an accurate calculation of new words and repetitions.
asles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
aaryan101
aaryan101 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Nice post!
aaryan101 is offline   Reply With Quote