Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Arutha
Arutha began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Problem with add books from isbn

Hello

I'm cataloguing my paper books with calibre and got a very strange thing. The final result generally gets the right author and title, but the wrong cover (generally the last published), the wrong date, the wrong publisher, and, most amazing: changes the isbn that I put there in the first place!

Am I doing something wrong?

can any good soul put me in the right way?

I'm getting tired of correcting it manually and, people, there are over 2.000 books in the shelves!

I looked around in the forum and didn't find any answers, so sorry if it is something quite simple that everyone else knows

Arutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha View Post
Hello

I'm cataloguing my paper books with calibre and got a very strange thing. The final result generally gets the right author and title, but the wrong cover (generally the last published), the wrong date, the wrong publisher, and, most amazing: changes the isbn that I put there in the first place!

Am I doing something wrong?

can any good soul put me in the right way?

I'm getting tired of correcting it manually and, people, there are over 2.000 books in the shelves!

I looked around in the forum and didn't find any answers, so sorry if it is something quite simple that everyone else knows

Old ISBN(-10) are not always found. Then Calibre tries a best match.
(Get) Covers are not always the old ones. I use Search the Internet plugin and then Search Google for images. I drag and drop my choice onto the Image shown on "Book Details" window in Calibre.

BTW I did my 1K paper library in batches of 10-20 so I could resolve any issues (Not found, Books older than ISBN , incomplete ISBN (no check digit printed in book) before moving on to the next pile.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Arutha
Arutha began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Old ISBN(-10) are not always found. Then Calibre tries a best match.
(Get) Covers are not always the old ones. I use Search the Internet plugin and then Search Google for images. I drag and drop my choice onto the Image shown on "Book Details" window in Calibre.

BTW I did my 1K paper library in batches of 10-20 so I could resolve any issues (Not found, Books older than ISBN , incomplete ISBN (no check digit printed in book) before moving on to the next pile.

Well, thanks for the answer!
The search the net and google is exactly what i'm doing, and it is rather time consuming, so I thought I was doing something wrong.
I unchecked skoob in download metadata and the results are a little closer to the real books I got. Yesterday I got shelter of stones from auel, but the german title rssssss

And I'm following your example, doing it in batches, especially because I have to move the books physically to scan the codes and there is not a lot of free space out of the shelves.
For incomplete isbn or finding the right edition I'm mixing goodreads and isfdb. Let's see when I get to classics and the very old brazilian issues

anyway, I shouldn't complain. I have been acquiring books for the last 35 years and this is the really first time that I feel encouraged enough to put some order to them (and finally stopping buying duplicates because I don't remember I already have that lovely title!)

thanks again!
Arutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha View Post
Well, thanks for the answer!
The search the net and google is exactly what i'm doing, and it is rather time consuming, so I thought I was doing something wrong.
I unchecked skoob in download metadata and the results are a little closer to the real books I got. Yesterday I got shelter of stones from auel, but the german title rssssss

And I'm following your example, doing it in batches, especially because I have to move the books physically to scan the codes and there is not a lot of free space out of the shelves.
For incomplete isbn or finding the right edition I'm mixing goodreads and isfdb. Let's see when I get to classics and the very old brazilian issues

anyway, I shouldn't complain. I have been acquiring books for the last 35 years and this is the really first time that I feel encouraged enough to put some order to them (and finally stopping buying duplicates because I don't remember I already have that lovely title!)

thanks again!
I know what you are going through. My collection is 40+ years (it would have been more, except I did not save all of them when i was younger).
Space for books. Wait... There is some floor still showing over there
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote