Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Copyright question: Shelley's Esdaile manuscript

I can't recall the term after which posthumously published work by a long-dead author enters the public domain.

Specifically: The poems from Percy Bysshe Shelley's "Esdaile notebook" were first published in 1964. Are they in the public domain now?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And could a moderator please be so kind and supply the missing "l" in Shelley's name in the thread title?
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I can't recall the term after which posthumously published work by a long-dead author enters the public domain.

Specifically: The poems from Percy Bysshe Shelley's "Esdaile notebook" were first published in 1964. Are they in the public domain now?
Others here know more about copyright than I do, but my reading says that in Germany, posthumous works by authors dead more than 70 years enter the public domain 25 years after publication. So, yes, for MR purposes (I'm open to correction).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Thanks. I think I also recall reading about those 25 years.

(And thanks for fixing the thread title. So embarrassing...)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, if the work would otherwise be in the public domain, the initial publisher gets a one-time 25-year copyright term from the date of first publication.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Thanks. So I can prepare the poems for upload.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. So I can prepare the poems for upload.
Provided that there's no editorial stuff, such as footnotes, that's been added, yes.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Provided that there's no editorial stuff, such as footnotes, that's been added, yes.
There's a long introduction, but I never intended to upload that.

A more interesting problem is the question of textual emendations. The editor has listed all the changes he applied to Shelley's manuscript; most of them are corrections of spelling errors - can I stick with the editor's corrections, or will I have to restore Shelley's errors?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
A more interesting problem is the question of textual emendations. The editor has listed all the changes he applied to Shelley's manuscript; most of them are corrections of spelling errors - can I stick with the editor's corrections, or will I have to restore Shelley's errors?
You should be OK with them. Such things as correcting spelling is generally not regarded as a "creative" process, and is therefore not protected by copyright.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Yes, I see. I always forget about that creativity aspect. Thanks.