Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Is there a Nokia or HTC with a reader like Stanza?

When thinking MOBILE CELLPHONE READER, is the Iphone the best option ?
What about HTC/NOKIA/GOOGLE devices ? Is there a good reader for them as well or is Stanza one step ahead ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Well..mobipocket and Ereader should be available plenty on symbian/WinMo devices..
Google-Android, there are lots of readers..Aldiko, IReader, FBReader etc.,

Personally i find the iphone to be most easy to read..but not easy to manage..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer23 View Post
When thinking MOBILE CELLPHONE READER, is the Iphone the best option ?
What about HTC/NOKIA/GOOGLE devices ? Is there a good reader for them as well or is Stanza one step ahead ?
I'm currently reading on an HTC Incredible and have tried several reader apps. Aldiko will read .epub and is generally considered the most polished. FBReader probably runs second, but the Android version seems to be in an earlier state of development than the Maemo version I used on my n800. It doesn't handle many file types yet, but hopefully that will change. There are readers for text files and Ereader DRM'd material but they aren't very good. So I'm in the process of converting my collection to .epub for use with Aldiko.

Getting books onto the device is a breeze - I can use the "save to disk" option in Calibre to transfer books to my phone's SD card via USB, or just transfer them via Bluetooth.

I haven't tried downloading books directly to the device, but there's an option for it in Aldiko.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm thanks, how would you compare the comfort of reading of the HTC/N900 to the Stanza ?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Hmm thanks, how would you compare the comfort of reading of the HTC/N900 to the Stanza ?
I haven't any experience with Stanza or the n900 (I have a n800), sorry. The n800 and the Incredible both have wonderful sharp screens (the n800's is larger), and with adjustable brightness I have no eyestrain problems. My biggest complaint is that I'm spoiled by the shoulder triggers on my old Zod and am not really fond of screen taps for page turning, and neither device has particularly convenient hardware controls for reading.

P.S. This morning I downloaded some public domain books to the Inc using Aldiko's download function and it worked great...nice cover images, metadata and all.

Last edited by wayrad; 06-07-2010 at 01:54 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Fif23
Connoisseur

Roger that, thanks !
Is there any ebook application for the HTC HD2 ? (Winmobile 6.5)
is has the biggest screen and the nicest price.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I use B&N's reader (beta), Mobipocket reader, Freda and ZuluReader on my Touch Pro 2, which runs WinMo 6.5. Go to this thread where I give substantially more details on how well each reading app works on that device.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
FBReader is functional in N900. epub can be read in the Fennec browser epubreader.
But overall its not a pleasant experience. FBReader touch support is bad; Fennec is slow.
Both dont use the display properly. I find iphone readers many times more pleasant to use than the N900.
But again those were custom made for small screen while these are FBReader/Fennec epubreader are desktop ports to N900.

Stanza is very good on iphone.
Not sure about HD2.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote