Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Calibre as eReader (iPhone) content server

Does Calibre's Content Server work to feed PDB files to the eReader iPhone application (which requires a special URL to work).

ie.

ereader://IPADDRESS/~yourshortname/book.pdb

Is this something easy to do in Calibre?
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
jayman
Enthusiast
jayman began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I would also like to know that because you can't read newspapers with stanza correctly and maybe you can with that reader.
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
I would also like to know that because you can't read newspapers with stanza correctly and maybe you can with that reader.
Why not just get a dedicated news reader app for the iPhone? I think Calibre is just using standard RSS feeds (useful for eBook Readers like the Sony, which don't have wi-fi/3G access, browsers, or news apps)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's content server provides fixed urls for each format, whether it works with the ereader iphone app or not, I have no idea.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
jayman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre's content server provides fixed urls for each format, whether it works with the ereader iphone app or not, I have no idea.
that's the problem with the ereader on iphone. the url has to start with ereader:// not http.
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
jayman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Why not just get a dedicated news reader app for the iPhone? I think Calibre is just using standard RSS feeds (useful for eBook Readers like the Sony, which don't have wi-fi/3G access, browsers, or news apps)
That is what I do. However, I would like to read the newspapers, journals, etc...as an ebook (turning the pages, etc...) with direct links from the table of contents. It's much nicer that way. Also, you don't have to pay or be subjected to the constant adds that is becoming pervasive on the iphone by doing it with rss feeds.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
that's the problem with the ereader on iphone. the url has to start with ereader:// not http.
Ah, well that would be rather a lot of work to implement.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
jayman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Ah, well that would be rather a lot of work to implement.
I know that someone in the mobileread iphone forum has made a server that apparently can transfer files over to the iphone for the ereader. I pm'd him for the program but haven't heard back yet.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
That is what I do. However, I would like to read the newspapers, journals, etc...as an ebook (turning the pages, etc...) with direct links from the table of contents. It's much nicer that way. Also, you don't have to pay or be subjected to the constant adds that is becoming pervasive on the iphone by doing it with rss feeds.
ah, yeah..I really love how Stanza navigates. I have both sides of the screen set to tap to go forward-with swipe to go back (which I rarely do). Wish other readers would learn from it.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

cant stanza access the ToC in the metadata? All the links to the articles are there.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
jayman
Enthusiast

It can. It's just not the same. The entire title of the article gets cut-off, it's a mess. I may be picky here (seems like I'm the only one).
Old 12-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah well maybe you should open a bug report with stanza asking for a way to click on the links
Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Concerning the ereader:// links for eReader/iPhone, do you want me to add an option to calibre2odps ? You could use the tool to generate HTML catalogs, and if they contain ereader:// style links, will it be enough ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #14
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Adding these style links to calibre2odps would be great! That would certainly be enough!

Many thanks. (I have just generated a catalog using your tool, and it is truly splendid. Well done)

Last edited by ChristopherTD; 01-15-2010 at 01:13 AM.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:51 AM   #15
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
All right, I'll add this idea to the blueprints section of the Launchpad site. This way, whenever I get free time, I'll not forget to implement it
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote