Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Ghostface
Ghostface began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PRS-505 screen

Hello;

I've been successfully using the 505 for half a year, carrying it mainly in the backpack. It was always between two rather hard and large books, so I was safe about it. Unfortunately, recently I took it out to see this horrible thing done to the screen. Everything is displayed correctly in the areas of the screen that are not afflicted by vertical bars or square spirals. What can I do about it? If I have to send it somewhere to have the screen replaced, where would that be? I bought it on Ebay, from Italy.

Attached are crappy phone camera pictures of the fault. If these are not clear enough, I can take some more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image000.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	31963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	31964  

Last edited by Ghostface; 07-10-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I can see, the screen is cracked. Since the chances are they you have no warranty, you can probably send it to Sony in the US to be swapped for a refurbished unit. You may want to give Sony a call or have someone in the US do it for you. Also you may have to send it to Sony and have it then sent to someone in the US to then be sent back once it was replaced. I don't mind giving Sony a call for you if you'd like.

If you can get it replaced with a refurbished unit, Sony says it would cost $99 plus applicable taxes. So where I am it would coast $104 plus shipping costs.

PM me if you'd like me to give Sony a call.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-10-2009 at 03:36 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
It may be within the 1-year parts warranty, and they might be willing to replace the screen for a $30 labor fee. They did for me, when I dropped my reader & broke the substrate.

Cross your fingers. Call and ask; you certainly won't be any worse off after talking to them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote