Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
CathyD
CathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
How to authorize Glo for ADE library bks?

How do I authorize my Kobo Glo for ADE library books? I'm trying to transfer a library ebook from Adobe Digital Editions on my laptop to my Kobo Glo, but can't figure out how to authorize the ereader for ADE.

According to the Kobo website, I'm supposed to....
1. Launch ADE - that works
2. Attach Reader to laptop with USB cable. - that works
3. Select "Manage Library" - not an option.

The Glo asks if I want to connect to manage files. When I choose connect, it then shows a black screen with connected and charged showing. It won't leave that screen. I have to go to the Kobo software installed on the computer to eject the ereader.

When the Glo is finally turned on, I can't seem to find the Manage Library option. The choices under Library are: Books, News & Magazines, Previews, Shelves. I've looked in Settings > Account, and there's a section that says Adobe Authorization / Not signed in.
CathyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Kobo can be discommected the same way as any other removable device can; within Windows, go to the system tray in the bottom right and look for the little icom for Removable Devices and click that, or go to Windows Explorer, right click on the drive for the Kobo and select Eject.

What version of ADE are you using, and on what platform? ADE 2.0 is the newest and is a bit dikfferent from ADE 1.x.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyD View Post
How do I authorize my Kobo Glo for ADE library books? I'm trying to transfer a library ebook from Adobe Digital Editions on my laptop to my Kobo Glo, but can't figure out how to authorize the ereader for ADE.

The Glo asks if I want to connect to manage files. When I choose connect, it then shows a black screen with connected and charged showing. It won't leave that screen. I have to go to the Kobo software installed on the computer to eject the ereader.

When the Glo is finally turned on, I can't seem to find the Manage Library option. The choices under Library are: Books, News & Magazines, Previews, Shelves. I've looked in Settings > Account, and there's a section that says Adobe Authorization / Not signed in.
You authorize it using the ADE program under Windows. When it is saying "connected and charged", after a short while, it should show up in ADE on the left as an icon (or two if you have an SDcard in it) - and ADE will pop up a window asking if you want to authorize it.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
mumbletop
mumbletop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Pixel 5
For me, if I run ADE, attach my Kobo to my PC with the USB cable, and tap "Connect" on the Kobo, the device shows up on the left in ADE. Click the cog icon just above it, and there's an option to authorize (or deauthorize) the device. I'm using ADE 2.0.
mumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
CathyD
CathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura aboutCathyD has a spectacular aura about

It worked! Thank you.
CathyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Arlene44
Arlene44 began at the beginning.

Can't transfer library books onto my Glo

Quote:

I am having the same problem. I have ADE 3. I have borrowed books, attached my Kobo Glo. When I try to authorize it the space where I should find the name "Kobo Glo" is greyed out and I can't name my device. I tried ADE Help and they told me that the Kobo Glo has not been tested by them and they can't assist me.
Arlene44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlene44 View Post
I am having the same problem. I have ADE 3. I have borrowed books, attached my Kobo Glo. When I try to authorize it the space where I should find the name "Kobo Glo" is greyed out and I can't name my device. I tried ADE Help and they told me that the Kobo Glo has not been tested by them and they can't assist me.
I'd suggest hitting the Adobe site and downloading ADE 2.0.1. The direct link for the ADE 2.0.1 download for Windows is http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/..._Installer.exe.

If you want to try an older version, you can also get ADE 1.7.2 from http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editi...aleditions.exe. I keep this version around for testing epubs since it has many of the same bugs as the version of the Reader Mobile software used by Kobo.

With 2.0.1, when I have my ereader connected, it shows KOBOeReader as a connected device. Clicking on the drop down by the gear wheel at the end of the Device line, I can authorize, display authorization information or erase device authorization.

Once you have your Kobo authorized, I'd recommend copying the authorization file from the .adobe-digital-editions directory. Under Windows, it's a hidden file called activation.xml. Copying it back after a factory reset saves you from having to reauthorize your ereader and using up one of the limited number of authorizations allowed. Of course, you might prefer calling Adobe and begging for a few more authorizations.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
Arlene44
Arlene44 began at the beginning.

Thank you. Thank you, DSNB. The ADE V2 gave me the same problem as V3 but the 1.7.2 works like a charm and I now have library books on my Kobo Glo. The other 2 versions showed KOBOeReader as a connected device but when I clicked on the gear wheel, it would not let me input my device in order to authorize it. I will now try to find the authorization from Windows. Thank you again.
Arlene44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

that iscreen is normal I think - whenever the reader is connected to a PC in data transfer mode it will look like that & the normal reader functions will be disabled. That how my Aura behaves

but you should then see the device in the ADE left hand screen and that is where you go to do the ADE trick.

if ADE is not seeing the device but other programs ( eg, calibre, Kobo desktop) do see the device OK, then it is a compatibility issue with ADE & your reader.. IF none of the software on your PC can see the device well that's a different issue. you want to be using ade 2,0 or ade 1.7 , avoid ade3.0 for now.

The reader should also appear if you click My computer, & it should be browsable, like a USB memory stick

PS I see you got it working with ade1.7. if your PC is already ade authorised you shoull not need to hunt for any codes or passwords. ADE shoud give the device a copy of your PC authorisation, without asking you for any remembered codes. if your PC is not authorised just go to adobe & create a new account.

Last edited by cybmole; 04-13-2014 at 02:44 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote