Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Savoring a Slow Read

Often I feel like I don't read enough and feel bad if it takes me too long to finish a book. Sometimes though, a book you read once in a while over an extended period of time becomes a part of your life for those weeks or months (in rare cases, years). I'm nearing the end of a book like that, The Sisters Brothers, which is not a particularly long book but I've been reading it for months.

And I love it. It's not taking me so long because it's boring me. Every time I crack it open for just a few pages, I'm instantly immersed in Eli Sisters' point of view and the peculiar redemption he continually draws out of bleak circumstances, and more often than not I'll laugh out loud at least once.

It's not like a beloved series where, I at least, tend to snap up each morsel as it drops. It's more singular (yeah, obviously). It's precious in its singularity.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:59 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I do the same thing myself when I want to savour a book, but it has backfired occasionally when I jump to another book which also turns out to be good, and then lose interest in the first. I've had to go back and start over at the beginning again on the second try.

I really liked The Sisters Brothers, as well. It felt special to me, too, although I can't identify exactly why.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 03:04 AM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I know exactly what you mean. I always take at least a few weeks to read a book (sometimes more) granted I often end up reading thick books (+500 pages stuff) But there is so much out there to read that I feel I miss out. Lately I have been reading two books at a time, one at work, the other at home during the weekend. Not sure it helps in speeding up a bit the reading though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Often I feel like I don't read enough and feel bad if it takes me too long to finish a book. Sometimes though, a book you read once in a while over an extended period of time becomes a part of your life for those weeks or months (in rare cases, years).
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I think you'll find that huge number of people here read over 100 books a year. Savoring a book is something they probably do in different way to you.

Personally, I read around 30 books a year, and if I really like the story, I want to find out what happens in the end fast. The longest I "drag it out" is 2 weeks because of other more pressing matters then book reading is. After that I kind of lose interest and go to the next thing.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I think you'll find that huge number of people here read over 100 books a year. Savoring a book is something they probably do in different way to you.

Personally, I read around 30 books a year, and if I really like the story, I want to find out what happens in the end fast. The longest I "drag it out" is 2 weeks because of other more pressing matters then book reading is. After that I kind of lose interest and go to the next thing.
I am like you - once I get into a book I like to immerse myself in it and read to the end. I could never stretch out a book over months.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Some books, some authors, absolutely yes to this. Sometimes it's the craft of the prose, other times it's a world I don't want to leave.

A recent read was Robin Sloan's Mr. Permumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. Pretty short in length, but I took about four times longer to finish because I just didn't want it to be over.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The more I'm enjoying a book, the more I am compelled to keep reading. Any savoring comes when I'm done.

However, sometimes when I discover new-to-me author and start working my way through his or her backlist, I'll postpone reading the last couple of titles.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
With normal current-day books that I can read off the bat without any problems, I don't really do that. I just read them from beginning to end as fast as possible, as time permits.

However, when I read something such as the Ancient Classics, or medieval literature, I read slower. My knowledge of history and languages is extensive enough that I can understand that kind of literature without having to look up every other word or location, but sometimes I do have to think about what a sentence means, or where a city was exactly located, for example. If I really don't know or can't remember, I look it up.

I've finally discovered a purpose for the Kindle Browser

I wish I had a 10.1 inch 16:10 e-ink tablet, so I could read two pages side by side, but also have more space to navigate websites such as wikipedia.

Strangely enough, reading modern-day books feels like "consuming" a story, while reading the (ancient) classics actually feels much more like reading. Maybe it's because it's a bit more difficult or something, or because it's language from another time; I don't know.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-17-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The more I'm enjoying a book, the more I am compelled to keep reading. Any savoring comes when I'm done.

However, sometimes when I discover new-to-me author and start working my way through his or her backlist, I'll postpone reading the last couple of titles.
Me too! The only thing I'll add is that I sometimes stretch out collections of short stories. Read a few here and there.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
count me in as another gourmet rather than a barbarian mcbook addict
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
One thing that changed when I started reading ebooks. As I was never without a book, a large (ie long) book would get chosen over a small (short) book. That is how I first started reading Stephen King. Salem's Lot was large. lol.

Now it is interesting authors and series I gravitate towards. I don't have to carry three or four books like I did in the 90's and before.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
My wife consumes books like mushrooms consume waters. I am anticipating a huge invoice coming from the book store within few days.

Some months ago I started a topic "How to read faster", but now it takes me about a week to complete a book and I'm fine with it. I enjoy the story and if it takes longer then I'm all fine with it. No rush.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do make any effort to read fast or slow. I just read. Actually, I do not see words or books. I see the action inside my head. For me it is better than the movies. However long it takes me to finish the book is not important. What is important is that I am enjoying the book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
Quote:
I do make any effort to read fast or slow. I just read. Actually, I do not see words or books. I see the action inside my head. For me it is better than the movies. However long it takes me to finish the book is not important. What is important is that I am enjoying the book.
Apache
THIS! I never think about the speed, I just get lost in the book and if I finish 'sooner', that's because I'll probably read until I just can't hold my eyes open!
Also, I've always been a re-reader of any book that truly affected me - positively or negatively. So, I don't even think about slowing down to savor... I just Read It Again, Sam..
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I see words, never action or visuals.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote