Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Lexxycyan
Lexxycyan began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung galaxy tab 3
Calibre and paperwhite

I love Calibre and loading books onto my trusty Kindle 2. Kindle got broken. I have read enuf info here to confuse this 70 year old lady for life. All about new Kindles and problems loading them easily. I don't want to change formats or reprogram anything. Have the confusing issues been addressed?

If I get a paperwhite kindle will I be able to easily load from my apple laptop calibre like I always did? My calibre is kept up to date and I am a contributor.

Should I just get an older kindle on eBay? I was happy with my trusty kindle but the Mr wants something updated. I'm not sure the new kindles are better.

Any feedback appreciated!

(Ignor the samsung device listed....I think I solved issues with it.)

Last edited by Lexxycyan; 01-22-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: More info
Lexxycyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't know what problems you are talking about, all you need to do is plug your Kindle Paperwhite in (if/when you get one, that is) and send books to device as normal.

No changing formats is necessary. Unless you have books that are not in the Kindle format, in which case calibre will convert it for you automatically. (It may prompt you first, just click yes.)

Anything books that worked on the Kindle 2 will work on the Paperwhite as well. Unless you are using complex options and plugins to do weird things, etcetera, which it doesn't sound like you are. That is where the confusing issues come in, but fortunately, the only people who have to worry about that are the ones who already know how to do it. And possibly enjoy doing it too.

Go for it!

The newest Kindles have some nice features, especially the frontlit screen on the Paperwhite. I'd say that's a good reason right there.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Lexxycyan

Previous post

I read pages of an older discussion that talked of problems loading the paperwhite from calibre ON AN APPLE!

I was hoping to hear here, just what you said, that calibre had been update to correct the problem.

I hope you meant that this will work flawlessly like my old kindle.

I don't want to sweat out all new procedures like I had to for my husbands samsung galaxy....had to get a card and move the books individually from the card.

Thanks for replying.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not familiar with Mac OSX but it should work. If I remember correctly, a Kindle Fire will not connect, because Macs do not support connecting to android devices. (I would assume that is why your husband's Samsung Galaxy didn't work.)

But as long as the device shows up in Finder when you connect it, calibre should connect to the device.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I was just made aware on another thread, that the Paperwhite 2 (and not the paperwhite 1) had some problems connecting to Mac computers.

Fortunately, the way I found out was by being told that the 5.4.2 software update fixed that problem. As all Paperwhite 2's now ship with that update pre-installed, you should be good to go!

In other words, Amazon fixed the problem!
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
Lexxycyan

Thanks for all the help...I got one and so far it's great
Lexxy