Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
henrikberggren
henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5 / iPad Mini
Smile We just launched reviews & highlights in Readmill for iOS

Hey everyone,

I know we have some people here using Readmill so I thought I'd post about what we've been up to lately. We just released a new version of our app for iOS with popular reviews & highlights for each book in the app. You can now also comment and discuss around them.

But the biggest thing is a great simplification for those that read DRM'ed book from Kobo, Google etc. You no longer have to have an Adobe ID to read them but can simply open it and it will be tied to your Readmill account.

Here are more screenshots and info: http://blog.readmill.com/post/595967...and-highlights

Cheers,
Henrik
henrikberggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Nice, congrats to the team!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Looks like a nice piece of software. I don't do much reading on my iPad any more, but if I do go back to it I will consider Readmill.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikberggren View Post
You no longer have to have an Adobe ID to read them but can simply open it and it will be tied to your Readmill account.
Quote from the blog:

Quote:
With the new app, just upload your DRM-book to your Library and it will open as expected. No additional accounts needed. It’s a huge improvement. Buy your next book from Feedbooks or Kobo and upload it to try it out.
Henrik, I am curious how this works exactly. By uploading a book to my library, do you mean uploading it to storage offered by Readmill? If yes, I wonder if I wouldn't be breaching the terms that come with the DRM-ed book. Also, how exactly does it work that I don't need to associate my Adobe ID with the book any longer if I upload it to this library?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm a bit baffled by the claim (or at least the wording) myself.
To my knowledge, no reader can open epubs encrypted with Adobe's ADEPT DRM without the backend RMSDK mechanism to associate it with the proper Adobe ID/account for decryption.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm a bit baffled by the claim (or at least the wording) myself.
To my knowledge, no reader can open epubs encrypted with Adobe's ADEPT DRM without the backend RMSDK mechanism to associate it with the proper Adobe ID/account for decryption.
Yes it is weird. I can see how they might look at the metadata and let you download a like (DRM free) copy to the reader app so you can read it (assuming they have DRM free copies on their servers somewhere). But the app would otherwise need to have your Adobe credentials to open a DRM copy that you've uploaded.

Well, I must try it out. I haven't installed Readmill on my iPad, I'll see if I can download stuff from my library without authorizing with my Adobe ID. And I'll try B&N ebooks, which they didn't handle before.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Looks interesting, but I have no iThings in my possession. Release an Android app and I might have a look.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
henrikberggren
henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey,

let me explain. We have a full RMSDK implementation and we've now built support for VendorID. This means that we have the right to decrypt and open Adobe DRM protected ebooks without a users credentials. Instead we use a special service that authenticates through your Readmill account. This is all certified by Adobe of course. It was a hassle to build but works pretty great
Old 08-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hi henrik,

Thanks for the info. So, in practical terms, all I'd have to do is upload an ePub (protected with Adobe ADEPT) to my Readmill account and it'd be immediately accessible with the Readmill reading app?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for the explanation!

So there's clearly another valid key to Adobe's encryption scheme other than the user's credentials, then. I did not know that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
henrikberggren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Hi henrik,

Thanks for the info. So, in practical terms, all I'd have to do is upload an ePub (protected with Adobe ADEPT) to my Readmill account and it'd be immediately accessible with the Readmill reading app?
Yes, but you have to upload the .acsm file and not the ePub itself.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Yes, but you have to upload the .acsm file and not the ePub itself.
Barnes and Noble books still will not work then? There's no .acsm file.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
henrikberggren

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Barnes and Noble books still will not work then? There's no .acsm file.
We have the joined accounts flow so you should be able to sign in with you B&N account and read those books as well but I can't confirm it for sure.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #14
henrikberggren

Also, sign up to be notified when we release our Android app https://readmill.com/android
Old 10-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #15
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
Also, sign up to be notified when we release our Android app https://readmill.com/android
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, books, ios, reading, readmill