Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
canuck100
canuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad4
Kobo Aura Browser - Google Maps?

New to eReaders, anticipating B'Day gift of Kobo Aura. Currently reading on (heavy!) iPad4.
How usable is the browser? Can I access google maps in it? Can I grab the screen to get a pic of the map for later off line reference?

I have an LG Eclypse (low end smart phone) that can tether - it seems to work with my iPad. Can I use it in a pinch to tether to the Kobo Aura in order to use the browser?

Reason for asking - I've considered buying a 7 in tablet for use when travelling - 3G not absolutely necessary but would like to access google maps in a pinch when lost (in London UK - I'm from Canada)

Thanks!

ETA: The display on my phone is too small & often not visible in bright light to be of much help when I get lost - perhaps due to my age and "mature" eyes

Last edited by canuck100; 10-09-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: addition, clarification
canuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
You can load the Google maps site in the kobo browser and it does a best guess on your location (I assume using your network location as there is no GPS on the kobo). You can even zoom in and out on the map but I don't see anyway to drag the map around if it isn't centered on the right spot. Using my finger to try and drag the map up and down or side to side does nothing but redraw the map in exactly the same place, maybe it can be done but I can't figure it out.

It seems to work fine if you use the directions mode, enter your current location and your destination and it will show you the usual 3 choices to get there and list the directions in text.

There is a way to do screen shots using the power button on the kobo but requires that you edit a config file and that saves the screenshots to the device and then I assume you could view them on the kobo, but I have never done this myself and don't recall the details of how to set this up or know if it works with the firmware on the new Aura or not, check the forums for the kobo threads that mention screenshots and you should find your answer on this one.

Tethering should work fine, from the kobo device it won't care what the wifi source is.

Last edited by jiminrussell; 10-09-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typos
jiminrussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm certain that current f/w has removed the screenshot option.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
cant' googe maps be grabbed by Pocket?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
You can load the Google maps site in the kobo browser and it does a best guess on your location (I assume using your network location as there is no GPS on the kobo). You can even zoom in and out on the map but I don't see anyway to drag the map around if it isn't centered on the right spot. Using my finger to try and drag the map up and down or side to side does nothing but redraw the map in exactly the same place, maybe it can be done but I can't figure it out.

It seems to work fine if you use the directions mode, enter your current location and your destination and it will show you the usual 3 choices to get there and list the directions in text.

There is a way to do screen shots using the power button on the kobo but requires that you edit a config file and that saves the screenshots to the device and then I assume you could view them on the kobo, but I have never done this myself and don't recall the details of how to set this up or know if it works with the firmware on the new Aura or not, check the forums for the kobo threads that mention screenshots and you should find your answer on this one.

Tethering should work fine, from the kobo device it won't care what the wifi source is.
Right now I am without ereader so I can't really test it but any chance the double tap to zoom works? If so you could zoom out and tap on a different area in order to shift the image to the area you want... just a thought but no idea if it'll work.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
cant' googe maps be grabbed by Pocket?
Didn't work for me, just ended up with a more or less blank page
Old 10-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
jiminrussell
JimInRussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
Right now I am without ereader so I can't really test it but any chance the double tap to zoom works? If so you could zoom out and tap on a different area in order to shift the image to the area you want... just a thought but no idea if it'll work.
Zooming is not a problem, pinch to zoom or using the + or - to zoom works fine on the Aura, but Zooming out and then tapping to change the area you want does nothing.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
canuck100
canuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad4
Thanks so much this gives me a hint as to the capabilities/limitations of the browser which is very helpful.
I did a direction search on google maps from my iPad which requires sending an email to put something in Pocket -- all that resulted was an email with a generic google maps address (google.ca) - not an address containing anything that would bring up my search or directions. But it was worth a try.
canuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser restrictions, tethering, webkit