Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #301
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
If he keeps complaining, hit him on the head, with HIS Kindle Fire, hahahaha... problem solved ...
The KF is mine. He could of got one but he got his precious TV instead. I currently use the Kindle Fire to read in the dark. I want to replace it with the Paperwhite so it's good to know it will work for what I need it to do.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #302
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Yeah but I like to pretend we're bonding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
OMG my hubby is that way. I want to spend some time with you he tells me then he clicks on the TV. As long as I am in the room reading or on the Computer it's spending time with each other. The only way this works is if he uses headphones or I am listening to a Audiobook or using earplugs. And don't dare ask him to pause TV to chat because it's so much an inconvenience to do so.

I need my Paperwhite so I can read in the dark while we bond.
You two are better than my girlfriend, who always seems surprised that there's ANOTHER game on.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #303
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
You two are better than my girlfriend, who always seems surprised that there's ANOTHER game on.
It's not that I don't like sports....I'd just prefer to read, unless it's a local team. And you need a book to go with a baseball game!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #304
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
It's not that I don't like sports....I'd just prefer to read, unless it's a local team. And you need a book to go with a baseball game!
He isn't into sports just TV shows. Right now it's The Pretender on Netflix. Better than his Bonanza kick he was on for while but still.

I like my NASCAR but we got rid of cable so I'll just keep up to date through the internet.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #305
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Actually I need a book after a baseball game..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #306
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Actually I need a book after a baseball game..
And I need a smoke after... oops, wrong thread
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #307
splitlenz
splitlenz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Yes, it's very subjective, but speaking as a pretty tuned-in e-reader consumer, I didn't have huge expectations for the Nook Glowlight as far as a step-change in screen appearance, while for the Paperwhite, I did.
After using the Nook Glow light, I've come to the conclusion that it looks no where near that good lol.
splitlenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #308
splitlenz
splitlenz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've seen some photos on various forums and must say I feel really bad for people that received those. They are clearly defective. I received a unit that seems good. I do see something going on the bottom, maybe shadows, maybe too bright but everything else looks uniformly lit to me and no crazy pink tan. The pages look really white and clear and sharp. After using the Nook Glow light and those clip lights from amazon, I had no hope on light. I figured they would toss in some leds and call it a day and make it seem like they invented the universe but after using the paperwhite it's clearly not bs. I think they did a great job and they got the right idea. I still have my kindle touch with a clip light. Tried reading with it again after using the paperwhite, it was not a good experience in a dim room lol. I gave it away and I think it has a good home. Regardless of light or not it's still a good ereader.

It's clear though that they need better quality control and a few updates. I really don't like the swipr to turn on feature. I am using an old case I had for the kindle touch and it works great but I have to swip to turn on. This is ridiculous lol. The light doesn't turn off, wtf? Actually I don't mind, the battery life is great and having it a little on in a dark room helps. If you read a lot in daytime only then, ouch, it's just killing battery life, but personally it doesn't bother me. It's a needed feature though. I'm so used to the home button on devices that I miss it. It's one button that I like having on the kindle touch. I am getting used to the on screen buttons but I still miss that physical button. No charger? blah, I have chargers but still, paying this much should mean I get a charger. I believe that anyway. Less memory and no headphone jack? well, I never planned on using a headphone jack so I don't need that and fitting enough books to read on 2GB seems plenty for me. YMMV I guess.

Overall, I'm really happy with the device. I'd give it a 9/10. The light works for me and it's the only thing I've ever thought was really useful. Seems like they did a great job on the good units.

Did anyone notice landscape mode?! Awesome! With the case I have I just lay it on the table and read lol. I know it's weird since you don't do it with a real paperback book but screw it. It's a feature for me lol.
splitlenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #309
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitlenz View Post

Did anyone notice landscape mode?! Awesome! With the case I have I just lay it on the table and read lol. I know it's weird since you don't do it with a real paperback book but screw it. It's a feature for me lol.
lol I did that this evening!

Very handy.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #310
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
My Paperwhite arrived this afternoon and it is excellent. No "blotchiness", no weird colors. The shadows at the bottom where the lights are doesn't bother me since it doesn't reach the text.

Two years ago, when I got my K3, I ended up returning the lighted keyboard because the lighting was too uneven. So I am sensitive to lighting. But I'm very happy with the PW; it's pretty much what I was hoping for.

I think I like the lighting better in the day than I do at night. Under most lighting I found my Kindle keyboard a little dark to read, unless I was using my reading light. But with this I can basically read under any light. Or with no light, although when I read at night my reading light is right there by my bed, so I tend to read with it.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #311
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Got my PW yesterday (which is actually a gift for my Mom). I also didn't see any blotchiness and yes, there are slight shadows on the bottom, but they didn't bother me after a few pages. The lighting is adjustable so that you can match it to your current lighting conditions.

The only thing, so far, that I didn't like about the PW is that the lighting decreases the contrast in the text. Not a big issue for those of you with normal eyesight, but a huge deal for someone who has retina damage like me. Also, although the PW has 6 typestyles, the best one was the standard one, which is only so so. So, the Nook Simple Touch still wins on that score - more typestyles to address those who have vision issues. The Nook Glow doesn't affect the density of the contrast.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #312
okh
okh has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2
Thank you all for your useful and complete reviews (unlike someone called Engadget, The Verge, etc.).

I'm looking forward to buying a Kindle because iPad hurts my eyes too much. Unfortunately, Amazon sells only the Kindle Touch where I live, not the Paperwhite yet. So, since having an external light source is not a problem for me, and since I'd like to buy the easiest on the eyes e-ink screen, should I wait for the Paperwhite or buy a Kindle Touch now?
I'm asking this because I'm a little concerned (not reading these reviews, but since the PW was announced) about the capacitive screen and therefore blurry text, and about the light as well: everyone says it has a bright display, but more light = more eyestrain.
Thank you very much again!

Last edited by okh; 10-04-2012 at 11:03 AM.
okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #313
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I received our second PW (my wifes) yesterday and there is clearly a difference in the screen between the two. The new one is brighter at the same settings so when I do an comparison at the optimal setting for mine and use the same number for hers, it looks too bright and the shadows show up. When I set hers 1 number below mine they both look pretty similar. Not sure if we are going to return hers or not. Need to look at it again today.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #314
Cooling1978
Cooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
My PW arrived yesterday like the orders of most other Prime members. I had an unusual first experience with the device. When I turned it on and played around with the light (after suffering through that painful "how to use this Kindle" tutorial), I was slightly disappointed. The cones of light at the bottom were a little too distracting, and the overall experience just wasn't as "magical" as I was expecting. Of course, part of that was my fault for getting swept up in the hype. I compared the device to my Kindle Touch plus lighted cover and felt that I would probably just return the PW and keep the Touch.

However...

I decided to read the PW in bed since that is when I do most of my reading anyway, and my opinion instantly changed. After reading through the latest issue of Newsweek, I was totally sold on the device. The cones almost became invisible, and the Kindle Touch's screen by comparison was far inferior. I think the trick with this device is finding the right level of lighting for the room you are in. I actually kind of wish that Amazon hadn't given us so many levels of lighting options because I'm kind of OCD and I could see myself constantly adjusting and re-adjusting the level of light on the screen.

Plus, the official Amazon case is the nicest Kindle case they have ever produced. I would be tempted to keep the PW over the Touch for just the improvement in the case, frankly.

A couple of negatives:
--I miss the home button. I actually found myself reaching for it several times. I don't like having to tap the screen twice just to return to the home screen. Clearly Amazon is heading in an Apple-esque direction of removing as many buttons as possible, but even Apple hasn't gotten rid of their iconic home button.

--I wish that there was a hardware button somewhere on the device for adjusting the light level. Similar to the home button issue, I don't like having to tap twice to get to the lighting controls, especially since it is such an integral feature of the device.

--Maybe there is a work-around for this issue, but I don't like that only 3 of my books are visible on the home screen. I know I could switch to list view, but I like having the covers. Ideally there would be at least six book covers on the home screen from which to choose.

Overall, I'm quite impressed and I have a feeling that my opinion of the device will only improve with time. Even though it sounds simple, the integrated light really does drastically change the reading experience (at least for me.) The screen looks completely different from any other Kindle than I've ever used, and that will require some adjustment. I actually thought of the Timex Glow watches after I used it for a few hours... and that is not a bad thing, just different.

Last edited by Cooling1978; 10-04-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added content
Cooling1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #315
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
I received our second PW (my wifes) yesterday and there is clearly a difference in the screen between the two. The new one is brighter at the same settings so when I do an comparison at the optimal setting for mine and use the same number for hers, it looks too bright and the shadows show up. When I set hers 1 number below mine they both look pretty similar. Not sure if we are going to return hers or not. Need to look at it again today.
Are both OK otherwise or do either/both have the blotchiness and stuff some folks are experiencing?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote