Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
casualt
Edge User

Angry Browser File Download Issue

Hi,

I ran into a problem when trying to access websites protected by .htpasswd files (pretty standard way of doing things).

Basically I get prompted for the username and password and am able to log in to view the page...
However, if there are files on that site to download (also protected by .htpasswd) they will not download.
I am guessing this has something to do with it not sending the correct credentials when trying to download the file, but hopefully you know more.

The reason this is especially annoying is because 99% of my professors have their class websites setup in this manner. Which means that downloading notes (aka pdfs) is impossible unless I download them on my computer, then repost/send them to my edge.

Thanks for looking into this,

- TK -

Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
NiaTrue
Edge User

I had this same problem a couple of weeks ago when downloading from a site protected this way. Until reading your post, I assumed the problem was realted to pop-ups being blocked. I had a similar issue on my PC when the pop-up opens BEHIND the browser tab I'm viewing. I've now learned to look behind for that pop-up. But on the eDGe, I don't have pop-ups blocked and pop-ups are set to open on top, not behind, so I don't know what the problem is.

Hope the enTourage techies can figure it out.

Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

This was mentioned in an Android post http://groups.google.com/group/andro...28bbf0458cab50
Have you tried one of the alternative browsers, like Dolphin, Opera Mini or Skyfire?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
NiaTrue
Edge User

I'm using Dolphin. Same problem. Will test again to be sure though.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I tried getting file off my school website/teacher uploads; they download, but are unreadable. a .doc file gives an error saying it appears to be a .html format and .pdf gets an error on the eink saying there was an error opening the file. Nuts. Unless there is a way around this I still have to carry my netbook too.

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 05-17-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

They work as intended when I download to my PC and email them to myself. They opened on the edge after I downloaded from the email. Double nuts.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
NiaTrue
Edge User

I just tested a PDF and Word and Excel files. None downloaded successfully, and I tried a variety of methods. I didn't though try borisb's workaround. When I'm on the go and need to download email attachments from colleagues, not being able to do so is aproblem. My current workaround is to email the attachments to my personal email address, from which I have no problem downloading attachments.

So, someone more knowledgable than me who knows this stuff, what exactly is the problem? The MS Exchange server, the type of encryption, or something else?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
NiaTrue
Edge User

I just realized, I left out details in my earlier posts that make my messages somewhat cryptic. The first site I had this problem with, the one that's so problematic for me, is MS Web Outlook. Hence my ability to simply "regift" my emails to my personal email address and download attachments with no problem. But I just performed a test on another subsite with the same type domain and the same way of protecting files, and I had no problem downloading the files--althought they were PNGs.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
cheyennedonna
Edge User

My school's tech support said they don't support Android. The only browsers they support for downloads are IE, Firefox, and Safari. Chrome works because of hooks that make it appear to be Firefox, but it is not officially supported. Hopefully Firefox for Android releases soon and fixes my issue.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
NiaTrue
Edge User

I suspect my problem is the same. I think our IT group only officially supports Windows and Mac. Funny, considering that half of those folks walk around with Android phones (the other half have iPhones).

Old 06-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
casualt
Edge User

The reason files might appear to download is because they are actually just downloading the web page that says 'you don't have permission to access this' (when really it should have received the file byte stream if it had authenticated properly).

The reason I would guess that PNGs are working, is because the browser exhibits no problems viewing password-protected webpages (and therefore the files that are part of them, ie. pngs, which download properly).

Anyways,
Hopefully tech support will get this sorted because it is a real pain in the butt.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
casualt
Edge User

Hi,

Is there a reason that this has not been patched/fixed yet?

Thanks,

- TK -