Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Is using electronics on planes dangerous?

Perhaps, but not quite in the way you thought:

Quote:
In 2010, a 68-year-old man punched a teenager because he didn’t turn off his phone. Lt. Kent Lipple of the Boise Police Department in Idaho, who arrested the puncher, said the man “felt he was protecting the entire plane and its occupants.”
As many have long suspected, the FAA does not really have any sound basis for their claims that using devices mid-flight could cause problems.

And, of course, there was the whole contradiction between not allowing passengers to use iPads, but pilots were using it in place of printed manuals.

Quote:
The F.A.A. then told me that “two iPads are very different than 200.” But experts at EMT Labs, an independent testing facility in Mountain View, Calif., say there is no difference in radio output between two iPads and 200. “Electromagnetic energy doesn’t add up like that,” said Kevin Bothmann, the EMT Labs testing manager.
Here is whole piece from The New York Times.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
There have been numerous threads on this topic. Do a search.

Short answer is yes, they can be if the plane's electronics were not specifically designed to handle it (cable shielding, etc.) Ever put a blackberry next to a speaker phone and listen (radiated suspectiblity). Now imagine a pilot trying to listen to the tower doing critical final manuevering to landing during an IFR approach.

If everyone put their ipad on airplane mode, they can use them today midflight. If they all have 3g ipads and have the 3g phone service on, that could be a problem.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
As many have long suspected, the FAA does not really have any sound basis for their claims that using devices mid-flight could cause problems.

And, of course, there was the whole contradiction between not allowing passengers to use iPads, but pilots were using it in place of printed manuals.
The problem is that no airline can determine what devices will cause problems -- make no mistake, some electronic devices can interfere with radio communication. Rather than test and certify personal electronics, they ban all of them. It's common sense.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
The problem is that no airline can determine what devices will cause problems -- make no mistake, some electronic devices can interfere with radio communication. Rather than test and certify personal electronics, they ban all of them. It's common sense.
Well we know iPads are safe, because the pilots use them!
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
No, we don't. We don't know if they are modified or run in a certain mode and we don't know if they are used on all planes or just some.

For instance, I remove radios from laptops when used in certain areas. Under some circumstances, in some areas, we allow laptops with the radios switched off.

We assume a lot but don't know much.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
When I was in the USAF back in the 80's, I worked on KC-10 avionics systems, which is just a military version of the commercial DC-10. When cell phones started becoming really popular we took one up in the cockpit and turned on all the navigation systems and had a phone conversation. Sure enough, quite a few of the gauges started acting strangely. Of course, we were in the cockpit so I don't know what kind of range there would be for such an affect, we did walk into the back and the strangeness stopped.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This subject has already been discussed to death. I very much doubt that anyone's got anything useful to add to it that hasn't already been said a thousand times before.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I know that this is blasphemy on mobilereads... but I fly with paper books just so that I don't have to go for huge periods where I can't read (on my kindle).
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
The problem is that no airline can determine what devices will cause problems -- make no mistake, some electronic devices can interfere with radio communication. Rather than test and certify personal electronics, they ban all of them
Your argument will fall on deaf ears simply because very few people understand how electricity (and, by extension, electronics) work. At best you will get a, "but I'll turn off the Wi-Fi," because they don't understand that varying electric currents can produce spurious noise in nearby circuits.

I'm not claiming that the dangers are real. Modern devices are very low power and very high frequency, so it should be possible to design instruments for aviation that filter that noise out. On the other hand, there are so many electronic devices out there that it is (as you suggested) impossible to test everything independently.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
They don't 'ban' them. They tell you to turn them off until the captain deems it safe, then they don't bother to check if you do or not.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I know that this is blasphemy on mobilereads... but I fly with paper books just so that I don't have to go for huge periods where I can't read (on my kindle).
During takeoff on one flight I was told by the flight attendant to stow my paper book.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Short answer is yes, they can be if the plane's electronics were not specifically designed to handle it (cable shielding, etc.) Ever put a blackberry next to a speaker phone and listen (radiated suspectiblity). Now imagine a pilot trying to listen to the tower doing critical final manuevering to landing during an IFR approach.
Ultimately, the airlines are too cheap to take the obvious answer, as are the airports themselves. Most towers (at least as of 2003, when I read some articles on this issue) are still using 1950s equipment instead of modern, more efficient GPS systems.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Ultimately, the airlines are too cheap to take the obvious answer, as are the airports themselves. Most towers (at least as of 2003, when I read some articles on this issue) are still using 1950s equipment instead of modern, more efficient GPS systems.
The question you have to ask yourself is why? There are probably dozens of reasons why they are sticking to the older systems and a handful of reasons to modernize. It is a lot easier to build new infrastructure (e.g. in the 1950s when air transportation was expanding) than it is to replace operating infrastructure.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
We just flew to Arizona from Michigan and back, and on both flights they were very clear that, until we hit 10,000 feet, no electronic devices could be used, not on airplane mode, not iPods to listen to, not nothing not nohow. they were quite clear and quite emphatic about it. These were older planes, though.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
While I generally believe it is a bunch of hogwash, I nevertheless always comply with the instructions to turn every thing off. I will, however, turn on my Kindle as soon as possible.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote