Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
Is Amazon Geo-locating IP Addresses For Purchases Now?

hey all,

canadian user and have been buying us books on amazon for years by setting my kindle's country to "USA". today i got the following message and unable to complete my purchase:

"You attempted to purchase an item while in a different county than listed on your amazon account."

never saw this before... anyone else seeing the same thing? curses - this really bites. there are VIRTUALLY NO BOOKS in the canadian kindle store.

thanks!

k
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
They let it go for a bit. Someone might be on vacation after all. But yes, I've heard of many people getting similar messages who leave their Kindle's country set to something other than where they really live for any length of time. To my knowledge, they've always kept track of IP addresses compared to registered locations. If you've gotten away with it for years ... you should probably consider yourself pretty lucky, actually.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Any service that you use which involves the internet can (and does, when necessary) view your IP address. Since you're "cheating" the system, I'd say that it's one of those necessary times.
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Proxy server?
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
grownupboy
Enthusiast

oh ya, there's work-arounds... but it's just funny that they FINALLY started implementing this limitaion.

as for "cheating" the system - i'd hardly call eagerly paying for books cheating anything except an antiquated distribution model that prevents digital books from being sold in any format in a given country.

it's these distribution deals that predate the internet that are creating the issue in the first place...

if i really wanted to cheat i'd just download the book for free, strip the drm and put it on any device i choose. see, i'm trying to play fair!

k
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
You can be from any IP address in the world using this vehicle:

http://www.hide-my-ip.com/
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by grownupboy View Post
oh ya, there's work-arounds... but it's just funny that they FINALLY started implementing this limitaion.

as for "cheating" the system - i'd hardly call eagerly paying for books cheating anything except an antiquated distribution model that prevents digital books from being sold in any format in a given country.

it's these distribution deals that predate the internet that are creating the issue in the first place...

if i really wanted to cheat i'd just download the book for free, strip the drm and put it on any device i choose. see, i'm trying to play fair!

k
Yes, it's been a while since those emails arrived. I'd forgotten all about them. I have so much stuff sent to a USA address on my account that when I received an email like that I pointed them to my sales history and never heard back. That would be 2 years ago now I reckon!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Flyvpn has a free VPN solution. Your connection only lasts for 20 minutes, but it's more than enough time to buy your books from a 20 minute "vacation" in the US.

I don't feel one bit like a crook when doing this. I have "visited" US almost every week since I discovered flyvpn, and it saves me $2 pr. book since Amazon charges for delivery of e-books to Europe, but I don't think that I'll get to hell for this (at least not only this). Since I started using VPN, these letters from Amazon stopped coming. Proxy was not enough to bypass the system, but VPN does the trick
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #9
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The main use I'd have for Flyvpn or hide-my-ips would be to buy books which are unavailable Stateside. This often translates to the unavailability of rarefied titles (if only Atlas Press published eBooks!).

Just today, I wanted to compare prices between the UK Kindle and Kobo ePub editions of A Time to Every Purpose, by Karl Knausgaard. The Amazon UK site wouldn't even let me see the price for local customers, let alone consider buying a copy.

I ended up buying the ePub edition with a discount code, but I'd have liked to know how competitive that price turned out to be.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-09-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
^ i can't see it on the uk store as a kindle book, only physical copies.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Strange -- I'm looking now and can only find the physical version of that edition in the Amazon UK store:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Everyth...ref=pd_sim_b_2

At home several hours ago, I saw this cover and was able to select the Kindle version, but the price was obscured by a prompt stating I couldn't buy the book.

The Kobo Store's price was also lower earlier today and hurt even less with a coupon, which brought it to a little over $7.00:

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/A-Tim...5VQ/page1.html

I imagine dynamic web stores might be disconcerting for a schizophrenic.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-09-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by grownupboy View Post
there are VIRTUALLY NO BOOKS in the canadian kindle store.
Not exactly. There are no ebooks in the kindle.ca store, but there are tons and tons of ebooks in the kindle.com store available to Canadians. You don't have to set your country to US to buy ebooks at amazon.com.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As long as you have a valid US Amazon account, you should be able to buy eBooks without issue wherever in the world you are. What you can't buy is active content or video content. For that, you need a way around IP identification of physical location.

I bought several books yesterday without issue and I've never had that message on my Kindle or my computer when buying eBooks. I _do_ get it on my multimedia computer if I'm trying to buy or view a video and forget to turn on the VPN. (I use hidemyass.com, for what it's worth.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
grownupboy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Not exactly. There are no ebooks in the kindle.ca store, but there are tons and tons of ebooks in the kindle.com store available to Canadians. You don't have to set your country to US to buy ebooks at amazon.com.
yup, and the point of my original post is that amazon is now geolocating your ip and seems to preventing purchases for kindles associated with the US when the purchasing ip is not in the US.

this is not emails... but notices that flag the purchase and prevent it from going through at all.

k
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
grownupboy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
As long as you have a valid US Amazon account, you should be able to buy eBooks without issue wherever in the world you are. What you can't buy is active content or video content. For that, you need a way around IP identification of physical location.

I bought several books yesterday without issue and I've never had that message on my Kindle or my computer when buying eBooks. I _do_ get it on my multimedia computer if I'm trying to buy or view a video and forget to turn on the VPN. (I use hidemyass.com, for what it's worth.)
yes, that's the way it SHOULD work. but as of yesterday i go the message that started this thread - hence this thread...