Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
mattst
Enthusiast
mattst began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Two copies of book listed on Kindle after conversion.

I used Calibre to re-format a MOBI Project Gutenberg book, so that it was formatted to my personal taste. I find PG books are often badly formatted, Eg. big spaces between paragraphs, big indents at start of paragraphs and such like.

Basically I imported the PG MOBI into Calibre, and then converted to MOBI. The only settings which I changed from the defaults were:

'Look & Feel'
Remove spacing between paragraphs - indent size 0.0 em
Insert blank line between paragraphs - line size 0.5 em
Text justification - justify

'MOBI Output'
Do not add table of contents to book.

After I copied the new MOBI to my Kindle 3 and disconnected the USB, I saw there were 2 copies of the book on the Kindle, both said 'new' next to them [purhaps it would be more accurate to say there were 2 listings for the book on the Kindle]. Odd because I'd deleted the original version from my Kindle before even starting the MOBI formatting conversion described above.

I reconnected the Kindle and looked in the file manager, just one copy of the book was there. I did a search as well just in case - definately just the one copy. So I deleted the book using the file manager, disconnected the USB, and looked at the Kindle again - both the 2 listings for the book were now gone.

I tried copying the book to the Kindle again but got the same results.

After deleting the book from the Kindle and checking it was gone, I tried copying the original PG MOBI, now that was listed twice as well. I forced my Kindle to power down, waited a minute, powered up again, the book was still listed twice. By the way if I change the page on one of the book listings, then close it and load the other listed book, it jumps to the same page as I just changed to.

Ok well I'm a clever boy (so I thought)...

I used the Python utility MOBI Unpack to unpack the original MOBI. Deleted the book from Calibre and the Kindle. Imported the HTML file which MOBI Unpack had got for me into Calibre, fixed the metadata, and converted it to MOBI using the same settings as described above. Copied the newly created MOBI to the Kindle, disconnected the USB, and -you guessed it- two copies still listed on the Kindle.

What's going on here? How do I fix it? My Kindle has the latest firmware, Calibre is v. 0.8.27 running on Linux/Ubuntu.

Many thanks.
mattst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattst View Post
I forced my Kindle to power down, waited a minute, powered up again, the book was still listed twice. By the way if I change the page on one of the book listings, then close it and load the other listed book, it jumps to the same page as I just changed to.
In case you think that you've rebooted your Kindle... I suspect you haven't. You just put it to sleep for a minute and then woke it back up. That's not the same thing as a restart. There is no "forcing your Kindle to power down." There is only going to sleep with a screensaver... going to sleep with a blank screen... and restarting. I have no idea if it will fix your problem, but you should probably try truly restarting just in case. That entails using the menu to go to the "Settings" page... then using the menu again to select "Restart."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
mattst
Enthusiast

Yes, you are right. What I did was hold the sleep button for 20 seconds, which I thought did a power down, but actually is just a restart facility in case the Kindle freezes. Anyway I did it wrong and must have done what you said - "going to sleep with a blank screen" - which I mis-interpreted as being powered down.

I did not know about the restart menu option when on the settings page. I just used that and when it had rebooted my phantom extra copy of the MOBI was gone. Problem solved.

Thanks DiapDealer.

Last edited by mattst; 04-15-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can get the Kindle to eventually restart by holding the power button even longer than the twenty seconds necessary to put it to sleep, but I've always found it easier to simply use the provided menu option (unless the unit is locked up, of course). Regardless... I'm glad it solved your issue.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
mattst
Enthusiast

Yes the menu option is a lot easier. I too am glad it solved the problem, it was annoying me. Thanks again.