Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
producing ebooks for kindle vs. cybook?

I know kindle supports mobipocket and so does cybook. I own a cybook and am self-publishing a creative commons erotic short story collection (which I'll be posting here in a few weeks).

Will mobipocket render exactly the same in both kindle and cybook? What are the differences (if any) in how kindle and cybook show mobipocket files?

I'm thinking mostly about navigation, headings and fonts. I'm guessing that images will be basically the same.

Would there be any reason to produce mobipocket versions for each device?

Thanks for your help.
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
There's no reason to create multiple versions of a Mobipocket ebook. All the devices read the exact same format.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There's no reason to create multiple versions of a Mobipocket ebook. All the devices read the exact same format.
Yes they can read them, but I believe he's asking if they'll display the same on both devices or if there are tweaks to make them display better on a certain device.

I'm not sure, but I'd guess they would display virtually the same on both. It depends on how close the reader software for each device is. Don't know if we've got anyone on the forum yet that owns both a Cybook & a Kindle that could do a direct comparison.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 12-04-2007 at 05:25 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
You can also post your work on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com

We'll add Mobipocket in the upcoming weeks and we already create custom PDF files on the fly and support the new ebook standard: epub.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
Thanks, Hadrien. Yes, I was planning to post it on feedbooks as well.
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapax legomenon View Post
I know kindle supports mobipocket and so does cybook. I own a cybook and am self-publishing a creative commons erotic short story collection (which I'll be posting here in a few weeks).

Will mobipocket render exactly the same in both kindle and cybook? What are the differences (if any) in how kindle and cybook show mobipocket files?

I'm thinking mostly about navigation, headings and fonts. I'm guessing that images will be basically the same.

Would there be any reason to produce mobipocket versions for each device?

Thanks for your help.
Um. If I understand right, Kindle supports unsecured Mobipocket (I think the .azw format is just mobipocket with a new DRM, actually) so I would expect navigation and headings to be the same. Kindle has only two fonts, so that would probably not be the same. The eInk screens on Kindle and Sony are exactly the same (except the Sony uses a different control chip, but in terms of pixels wide and pixels high they are exactly the same). I think the Cybook Gen 3 uses the same screen as well, but I'm not sure about that.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In general, a MOBI file should work on any device. The optimizations for a Cybook or a Kindle would be the same - primarily to use large images (and therefore in most cases JPEG images, with the JPEG option explicitly on in MobiPocket Creator or mobigen.exe). For short stories, a table of contents recognized as such by the Reader (rather than just in-lined HTML) would help too.

As catsittingstill pointed out, one difference is that the Kindle does not have selectable font types (only font sizes). However, that isn't usually a problem for document design. The two devices might convert images to fit the screen, and for 4 gray scales, differently - but I have not seen any reports on this issue. The Kindle does a pretty good job displaying color images.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
For short stories, a table of contents recognized as such by the Reader (rather than just in-lined HTML) would help too.
Is this working on the Kindle? On my Cybook I did not find any such functionality.

I have also been wondering if the Kindle have these small Cover images that the Cybook displays in it library views?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is this working on the Kindle? On my Cybook I did not find any such functionality.
Tables of contents work just fine on the CyBook. While reading the book, click the centre button to display the menu, then select "Go To", and "Table of Contents".

Not all books have a TOC; for those which don't, this menu item will be greyed-out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Tables of contents work just fine on the CyBook. While reading the book, click the centre button to display the menu, then select "Go To", and "Table of Contents".

Not all books have a TOC; for those which don't, this menu item will be greyed-out.
Thanks for that information. It never occured to me to look in a sub menu for the table of content. I tested with a book without a TOC and there was no entry at all for table of content. And I confirmed that I could go to the TOC in the book generated by my Perl script (lit2mobi).
Old 12-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is this working on the Kindle?
For TOC, the Kindle has a sub-menu similar to the "contents" menu in the Windows MobiPocket Reader (cover, TOC, ...), which also includes go to beginning, location or boookmark. The "beginning" is what the Windows version calls "start reading" and is not the 1st page but rather where the publisher wants you to start.

The iLiad has no way of bringing up the cover image (unless it is in-lined in the HTML), but it has a TOC icon (similar to FBReader's TOC icon) and a "start reading" icon. The start reading icon will be grayed out unless the publisher has included this location.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
For TOC, the Kindle has a sub-menu similar to the "contents" menu in the Windows MobiPocket Reader (cover, TOC, ...), which also includes go to beginning, location or boookmark. The "beginning" is what the Windows version calls "start reading" and is not the 1st page but rather where the publisher wants you to start.

The iLiad has no way of bringing up the cover image (unless it is in-lined in the HTML), but it has a TOC icon (similar to FBReader's TOC icon) and a "start reading" icon. The start reading icon will be grayed out unless the publisher has included this location.
Well... It might be better in this case to add the TOC in this menu, rather than adding a TOC entry that would redirect to an in-line HTML TOC.

The only problem that I have with this menu, is that I don't know how I can create sub-menus. For example instead of displaying Part I and right under Chapter I, it would be much better if Part I acted like a sub-menu with its chapters inside.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
I have also been wondering if the Kindle have these small Cover images that the Cybook displays in it library views?
No. The Kindle's library view is similar to the title and author columns of the Windows MobiPocket Reader library view.

I assumed the Cybook's images were thunbnails based on the cover images. That is what the Windows MobiPocket Reader seems to be displaying in its library view when you select an e-book.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I assumed the Cybook's images were thunbnails based on the cover images.
That's exactly what they are. When the library first "catalogs" the book, it generates a thumbnail file. If there is a cover image it uses that, otherwise it creates one which shows the book title.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's exactly what they are. When the library first "catalogs" the book, it generates a thumbnail file. If there is a cover image it uses that, otherwise it creates one which shows the book title.
There is sometimes a small image packed in the mobi file that probably could be used if it is there. Otherwise it seems that it takes the first image record and rescale that and use as a thumbnail. If somebody happens to know exactly how this works and if there is relevant information in the MOBI header for this process I am very interested in this information. I want to make my conversion tools as correct as possible.