Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #121
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Similar feature set? Not likely. The Libra has many more features and very good Calibre integration.
Not everyone cares about Calibre integration. Some people use Calibre to store, sanitize, convert, and catalogue their books on their computer. The only device I have that I use Calibre with is my Kobo, and that's only because it's easier than the alternative. For all of my other devices I use some sort of remote (cloud) solution. If Kobos supported an easy remote solution for sideloading and syncing books, I would use that rather than connecting the device physically to my computer.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #122
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
How well do those work when you've no internet, the service is down, or you are travelling etc.?

I know a lot of these are convenient, but not one is as cheap and reliable as your own laptop and none are backup solutions. Most people have no idea of the uptime, how to back them up, security or privacy either.

The Sony PSR350, Kindles (DXG, Paperwhite 3, Keyboard) and Kobos are almost never separately charged. After sorting out the fetching of annotations (Kobo) or deleting or sending of books I leave it connected till it's charged. They all still charge after Eject Device on Calibre or the Desktop. I also backup the Kobo database, not possible on Kindles, Nook, Binatone or Sony I've had.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-20-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #123
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
How well do those work when you've no internet, the service is down, or you are travelling etc.?

I know a lot of these are convenient, but not one is as cheap and reliable as your own laptop and none are backup solutions. Most people have no idea of the uptime, how to back them up, security or privacy either.

The Sony PSR350, Kindles (DXG, Paperwhite 3, Keyboard) and Kobos are almost never separately charged. After sorting out the fetching of annotations (Kobo) or deleting or sending of books I leave it connected till it's charged. They all still charge after Eject Device on Calibre or the Desktop. I also backup the Kobo database, not possible on Kindles, Nook, Binatone or Sony I've had.
Did you miss the part where I said that I use Calibre? My books are stored on my desktop computer in Calibre, in the Amazon cloud, in the cloud backup service that I use, on an external hard drive to which my entire desktop is backed up weekly, on One Drive, and, of course on my various readers. Storing them all in the cloud just means that I don't have to plug my readers into my computer (except for my Kobo, of course).

As for charging them? My Oasis 3 is plugged in right next to me...I just got home after being out all day, and I had my Voyage with me, where I was able to sync up my reading position with my Oasis and just keep reading the book that I bought from Baen and uploaded to my Kindle cloud. When I unplug my Oasis in a little while, I will sync it so that I will again be able seamlessly start reading where I left off.

This is why I store my books in the cloud.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:03 AM   #124
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
For someone who doesn't have a budget for cloud, is a backup hard disk, plus a current disk connected to the laptop enough?
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:47 AM   #125
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
For someone who doesn't have a budget for cloud, is a backup hard disk, plus a current disk connected to the laptop enough?
I think so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #126
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Hard disks fail occasionally. While it's unlikely both of them will fail at the same time, the best option would be to have two external backup disks, from different manufacturers or batches (i.e. not to buy the same models at the same time), to avoid a possible faulty batch.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:02 AM   #127
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, JSWolf and Sirtel. Maybe hard disks fail in cold countries only? Not equatorial islands like my country.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:29 AM   #128
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thank you, JSWolf and Sirtel. Maybe hard disks fail in cold countries only? Not equatorial islands like my country.
All hard disks will fail. The only question is when.

Data kept on one hard disk or in one place is data you must be happy to lose.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #129
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If you can keep a backup hard disk off premises, yes. I have a trio that I use with the weekend backup taken to work for storage on Monday at which time I bring the old one from work back home.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #130
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
With usb thumb drives having large storage capacities now, it's easy to have several locations to keep important data.

My Quicken data is kept on the cloud, and also on a thumb drive. There is no personal financial info in that backup, so I can keep the thumb drive on my keys with no worry about someone getting my bank or credit card info. But if Quicken crashes, it's easy to restore the most current backup. I back it up every month after I pay bills.

The same with Calibre...I export the data every 2 weeks or so, and have it on 2 different thumb drives.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #131
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
All hard disks will fail. The only question is when.

Data kept on one hard disk or in one place is data you must be happy to lose.
But I'm not willing to lose my books. Also, ever since I got a PC for the first time in 1998, no hard disk of mine has failed. I will have, nevertheless, to change the devices each 3 or 4 years. I can't afford cloud.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #132
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Multi-terabyte USB3 (they should work on USB2, just slower) Hard drives are available for (well) under US$100
They are way faster than common pen drives (flash)

The down side, is some laptops can not supply enough power ( use a powered USB hub)
Flash also does not give warning when they are about to fail. Works, then it does not.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #133
Luffy
Wizard

My books are on multi terabyte disks.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #134
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
But I'm not willing to lose my books. Also, ever since I got a PC for the first time in 1998, no hard disk of mine has failed. I will have, nevertheless, to change the devices each 3 or 4 years. I can't afford cloud.
There's also a chance of fire to think of, even if it's a small one. So one of your back-ups should be offsite, but still updated regularly.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #135
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Alternatively newer DVD and BD burners support M-DISC, which provide greater archival media longevity (up to 1000 years). Of course, you’ll still need some sort of disc reader to extract the data in 1000 years.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote