Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 08-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Trollope, Anthony: The Warden [Barset 01]. v1. 05 Aug. 07

This is for rjnagle who requested the Barsetshire Chronicles.

Anthony Trollope’s Barsetshire books “concern the dealings of the clergy and the politics that go on behind the scenes.” However, what I find so interesting about Trollope is the development of character. (I've read about 15 of his novels.)

Trollope deals with issues of politics and morality – as I inicate – but how he develops his characters through their many moral dilemmas is what I personally find so engaging. Most of Trollope’s books are huge (because they are huge in content; after all, he's a Victorian writer, ); but in The Warden, the first of his Barsetshire novels, he wrote with an unusual economy of style and grace.

Here are the six books:

1.) The Warden (1855)
2.) Barchester Towers (1857)
3.) Doctor Thorne (1858)
4.) Framley Parsonage (1861)
5.) The Small House at Allington (1864)
6.) The Last Chronicle of Barset (1867)

I’ll be working the second one much later this afternoon.

Here’s what The Warden is about, as quoted from a source:

"The book centers on the character of Mr. Harding, a clergyman of great personal integrity, whose charitable income far exceeds the purpose for which it was intended. Young John Bold turns his reforming zeal to exposing what he considers to be an abuse of privilege, despite being in love with Mr. Harding's daughter Eleanor. The novel was highly topical as a case regarding the misapplication of church funds was the scandalous subject of contemporary debate. But Trollope uses this specific case to explore and illuminate the universal complexities of human motivation and social morality."

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Trollope, Anthony - The Warden [Barset 01].lrf (242.9 KB, 1219 views)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is this the series often called the "Barchester Chronicles", Don? I've often meant to read them (I'm a big fan of Victorian novels) but never got around to. Your posted gives me an excellent reason to do so. Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is this the series often called the "Barchester Chronicles", Don? I've often meant to read them (I'm a big fan of Victorian novels) but never got around to. Your posted gives me an excellent reason to do so. Thanks!
I've actually seen this listed as "Barchester Chronicles," and as "Barsetshire Chronicles [or Series]." (In looking over the web, and also the 8 or 9 critical studies I have about Trollope, I find most critics seem to prefer the word "Barsetshire.")

Since you haven't read him yet (is that right?), then I should mention that he's often criticized for the heavy-handedness of his writings. The fact is, he's no Charles Dickens, whose writings leap off the page much like his characters. (How's that for hyperbole?!!)

His books often "plod" along, but for ME, they offer a world that I'm not familiar with. It's also a chance to see how people really lived their lives in the Victorian age. I really think Trollope is one of those writers you really like because of WHAT he writes about, or he's a writer whose issues don't warrant the committment that time demands.

I really do like Trollope, but stylistically he's the complete opposite of Dickens. I don't know about you, but for me I sometimes will reach a point with Dickens where his "cutsey-ness" is too much to take. [But I LOVE Dickens!] That's when I'll pick up a Trollope - if I know I'll have enough time - and start to read him.

The Warden really is a great place for someone to dip into Trollope, because of its brevitity, because it's focus is so tight.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-05-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Thanks for all the Trollope.... I'd been trying to obtain the Barsetshire series in paper form and was not having too much luck. Just got my 505 & delighted to find all these and the Palliser and others.... thanks again.

Chris
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Thanks for all the Trollope.... I'd been trying to obtain the Barsetshire series in paper form and was not having too much luck. Just got my 505 & delighted to find all these and the Palliser and others.... thanks again.

Chris
You're quite welcome. Thank you for the kind words.

Don
Advert