Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I got the impression that Walmart will be selling the whole Kobo line of devices. If not in the stores at least online.
Oh, yeah, I assume they will as well. But that doesn't stop people from guessing that the launch of any new device will be timed to coincide with Kobo going on sale at Walmart.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #47
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Oh, yeah, I assume they will as well. But that doesn't stop people from guessing that the launch of any new device will be timed to coincide with Kobo going on sale at Walmart.

I freely admit I seem to wander by the book aisle rather more often at my local Walmart these days just to see if any Kobos have appeared.

Don't know they'd be likely to sell well here. Maybe if the new model is cheap enough. On the other hand it's not like there's any other place in town you could see an e-reader of any kind for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #48
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
If enough people ask for the SD card slot, perhaps they will listen!
Maybe. One thing's for sure though... you'd have to find a way to reach people outside of these forums. Believe me when I say that the readership here is only a tiny fraction of the marketplace.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #49
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I would wander into a walmart to take a look at a kobo! If the kobo could sync with icloud that would seal the deal but I know that’s a pipe dream.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Oh ... ahem ... I see.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Don't know they'd be likely to sell well here. Maybe if the new model is cheap enough. On the other hand it's not like there's any other place in town you could see an e-reader of any kind for sale.
I think that — just maybe — people are beginning to get a little tired of Amazon and might be welcoming some competition (if Walmart really provides it). I think the Kobo partnership was more for online book sales than sales at the stores. I guess we'll see — it's been getting pretty much to the point where you can take what I say and go the opposite direction and usually get it right.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #52
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
If enough people ask for the SD card slot, perhaps they will listen!
don't hold your breath do what i do no SD card slot don't buy it.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I freely admit I seem to wander by the book aisle rather more often at my local Walmart these days just to see if any Kobos have appeared.
From memory, when Walmart sold e-readers before, they were in the electronics section, rather than books.

Quote:
That's why I was saying the Aura edition 2 seems like the perfect Walmart reader. Know your customer base.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I think that — just maybe — people are beginning to get a little tired of Amazon and might be welcoming some competition (if Walmart really provides it).
I'm not an Amazon fan. But buddy, they're better than Walmart to me.

Quote:
I think the Kobo partnership was more for online book sales than sales at the stores...
Maybe. But even so, there have to be some sort of decent device sales in the stores to help push those online book sales.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:03 PM   #55
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'll make a guess that this reader will be in rival to the Oasis. It's name probably refers to the number of LEDs it will have. All I want to know is ppi and price.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #56
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
From memory, when Walmart sold e-readers before, they were in the electronics section, rather than books.
The book aisle in my local Walmart is next to slash in the electronics dept
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Mine is too, now (it used to be at the front of the store, back when magazines were a bigger draw, I guess). With the introduction of Kobo and Walmart selling e-books and cards for them, merging the two departments makes sense.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #58
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Yes, books are right next to electronics at my Walmart as well. The question is, would an ereader receive more attention if lumped in the electronics section or the book section.

I sort of envision a display of a Kobo device right in the book section, maybe touting some of the advantages of ebooks. Something to lure in someone who hasn't tried e-reading yet.

Probably won't happen...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I'm not an Amazon fan. But buddy, they're better than Walmart to me.
(Pardon the rant.)

They used to be, anyhow. Their Amazon Marketplace is a joke. Amazon claims to "guarantee" their sellers, but they don't appear to even vet them. My niece bought a phone (it was one of the Moto E4s that had Amazon branding). Her and her sisters had bought four of these earlier (from the same seller) and they wanted a fifth for a friend. But when the phone arrived it was the Verizon branded one (that you could get on Best Buy for about $50 — half the price) and it wouldn't work on the Sprint network (as the phone they ordered would). Apparently the seller ran out of the original phones and tried to slip this one in. "No problem" right? Amazon "guarantees" their sales. My niece requested a return, followed the instructions to the letter, PAID for the return shipping and tracked the phone to the seller's personal lock box. And she waited for her refund ... and waited ... and waited. Finally she got hold of Amazon, they received the tracking information and said that the seller would issue a refund within five days ... next day they get a notice that the seller had appealed, saying he "never got the phone." My brother countered the appeal, showing – again – that the packaged phone was tracked to the seller's personal lock box. Amazon denied that appeal, said he should have gotten "signature" confirmation. My brother appeals again, saying that his daughter followed the instructions to the letter – they did EXACTLY what Amazon requested they do. Again denied "our decision is final." I think there may have been one more appeal – again denied. So, at this point, the last I heard, my niece is out $100 for the phone, plus about $16 for the original shipping and tax, plus about $10 more for the return shipping. All because a lying dirtbag apparently can rip off Amazon customers at will and Amazon will do nothing about it. (This cheat still sells on Amazon's Marketplace.)

I've "bought" three items on Amazon's Marketplace (mechanical pencils, small purchases) that never shipped. (In this case, since the shipping never happened, Amazon did not withdraw the money from my account.) But I was left in limbo – were they sales going to go through, or not? Should I look elsewhere for the item? Since the sellers are promoted by Amazon you would think they take some responsibility in the matter. Nope. What they do is give you the contact information for the unresponsive seller and let you wade through the muck. I don't know what these sellers' game was, I'm guessing they wanted me to contact them directly to negotiate the sale and bypass Amazon. One of them "moved" their "location" from New Mexico, to Italy, to Spain in the time it took for the sale to eventually be cancelled. Can you say "fraud?" I'm now leery of buying anything from the "guaranteed" Amazon Marketplace. And, if you look online, I'm not the only one.

Amazon, itself – the real Amazon, not one of their bogus "guaranteed" marketers, often slips on promised "guaranteed" shipping dates. They change the arrival date and list the packages as "On Time." The old "on time" arrival date goes down a black hole somewhere. Several times I've paid more for the "Prime" ("guaranteed" two day delivery) item because I needed the part right away. A guarantee is supposed to be a guarantee.

And then you read stories about Amazon delivery people, every move tracked by Amazon and so overworked that they're going to the bathroom in people's driveways.

Yeah, I'm beginning to not like Amazon.

Meanwhile Walmart has a new CEO (a year or two ago) who's starting to treat their employees better and is actually hiring enough people to stock the shelves and clean the stores. He also understands he needs to compete with Amazon online. I don't know if he'll be allowed to fix Walmart, or if the stockholders will begin grumbling about the cost, but at least there are hopeful signs. Two years ago you could hardly drag me into a Walmart. It's still not my favorite place in the world but I go there now (sometimes). And I'm definitely interested in them competing online against Amazon. Someone needs to.

Quote:
Maybe. But even so, there have to be some sort of decent device sales in the stores to help push those online book sales.
Yep. It would be good if Walmart / Kobo came up with something to directly compete with the Kindle Basic (like Kobo's old Touch).
Old 04-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #60
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
(Pardon the rant.)

They used to be, anyhow. Their Amazon Marketplace is a joke. Amazon claims to "guarantee" their sellers, but they don't appear to even vet them. My niece bought a phone (it was one of the Moto E4s that had Amazon branding). Her and her sisters had bought four of these earlier (from the same seller) and they wanted a fifth for a friend. But when the phone arrived it was the Verizon branded one (that you could get on Best Buy for about $50 — half the price) and it wouldn't work on the Sprint network (as the phone they ordered would). Apparently the seller ran out of the original phones and tried to slip this one in. "No problem" right? Amazon "guarantees" their sales. My niece requested a return, followed the instructions to the letter, PAID for the return shipping and tracked the phone to the seller's personal lock box. And she waited for her refund ... and waited ... and waited. Finally she got hold of Amazon, they received the tracking information and said that the seller would issue a refund within five days ... next day they get a notice that the seller had appealed, saying he "never got the phone." My brother countered the appeal, showing – again – that the packaged phone was tracked to the seller's personal lock box. Amazon denied that appeal, said he should have gotten "signature" confirmation. My brother appeals again, saying that his daughter followed the instructions to the letter – they did EXACTLY what Amazon requested they do. Again denied "our decision is final." I think there may have been one more appeal – again denied. So, at this point, the last I heard, my niece is out $100 for the phone, plus about $16 for the original shipping and tax, plus about $10 more for the return shipping. All because a lying dirtbag apparently can rip off Amazon customers at will and Amazon will do nothing about it. (This cheat still sells on Amazon's Marketplace.)

I've "bought" three items on Amazon's Marketplace (mechanical pencils, small purchases) that never shipped. (In this case, since the shipping never happened, Amazon did not withdraw the money from my account.) But I was left in limbo – were they sales going to go through, or not? Should I look elsewhere for the item? Since the sellers are promoted by Amazon you would think they take some responsibility in the matter. Nope. What they do is give you the contact information for the unresponsive seller and let you wade through the muck. I don't know what these sellers' game was, I'm guessing they wanted me to contact them directly to negotiate the sale and bypass Amazon. One of them "moved" their "location" from New Mexico, to Italy, to Spain in the time it took for the sale to eventually be cancelled. Can you say "fraud?" I'm now leery of buying anything from the "guaranteed" Amazon Marketplace. And, if you look online, I'm not the only one.

Amazon, itself – the real Amazon, not one of their bogus "guaranteed" marketers, often slips on promised "guaranteed" shipping dates. They change the arrival date and list the packages as "On Time." The old "on time" arrival date goes down a black hole somewhere. Several times I've paid more for the "Prime" ("guaranteed" two day delivery) item because I needed the part right away. A guarantee is supposed to be a guarantee.
I don't think it's fair to compare Amazon's Marketplace to Walmart, unless you are comparing third party sellers on Walmart's website.

Quote:
And then you read stories about Amazon delivery people, every move tracked by Amazon and so overworked that they're going to the bathroom in people's driveways.

Yeah, I'm beginning to not like Amazon.
Yeah, that's valid. Like I said, I'm not am Amazon fan myself. I think making different cities dance to maybe score an Amazon headquarters is tacky and gross. They aren't angels.

I still like them better than Walmart, who in my neighborhood alone moved from one location to another directly across the street and ripped down a bunch of trees to do it, while leaving their old store an abandoned shell. It's not just in my neighborhood that that's happened, either.

Quote:
Meanwhile Walmart has a new CEO (a year or two ago) who's starting to treat their employees better and is actually hiring enough people to stock the shelves and clean the stores. He also understands he needs to compete with Amazon online. I don't know if he'll be allowed to fix Walmart, or if the stockholders will begin grumbling about the cost, but at least there are hopeful signs. Two years ago you could hardly drag me into a Walmart. It's still not my favorite place in the world but I go there now (sometimes). And I'm definitely interested in them competing online against Amazon. Someone needs to.
I'm happy to see them attempting to change their reputation and hopefully it continues. I just think of them as synonymous with blight. A very wealthy family vacuuming cash out of poor areas while paying bad wages and running others out of business until they are the only game in town. They have a way to go to repair that reputation.